Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • God hates me…I think I'm allergic to coffee/caffeine
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Bugger. I’ve been a bit of a coffee geek for years, but I think those days are numbered. For quite some months now I’ve found that my throat swells up quite a bit when I drink coffee, more so when the coffee is strong. I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma earlier in the year, and initially I thought it was all part of that as the symptoms appeared not long afterwards, but a bit of trial & error now definitely points to coffee (or caffeine) as the culprit of the throat thing (the asthma is separate…I definitely have that too).

Anyway, I’ll be paying the doc another visit to discuss it, but I’m wondering if any other poor souls on here have a similar allergy, and if so whether you get the same swelling in your throat..?

29erKeith
    Free Member

I had mild asthma as a kid, I was also allergic to Caffeine. no idea if there is any link.

Neither bother me now though, I never got the coffee/tea/coke thing as a kid because of this so rarely ever have caffeine now anyway, other than redbull on the odd long race or Jager fuelled night out with mates

Sui
    Free Member

my throat started doing this with the Taylors range of coffee (it was a Brazil one to be precise) and remembering back a spepcific bean that i tried from an online source (though this was years back). I know it might sound daft, but is it possible it is only a type of coffee that does this?? I’m fine with a lot of others

pedalhead
    Free Member

29erKeith, interesting that you had a similar combo. I’ll ask the doc if there’s any known link between the two.

Sui, unfortunately it seems to happen with every type of bean, but is definitely worse the stronger the brew is.

jota180
    Free Member

I’m going to trump this

It looks like I’m overly allergic to alcohol, after spending 35 years with a love of fine beer, it looks like it’s come to an end.
    These days I only have 4 or 5 beers on a Saturday and the odd one sometimes through the week but it now makes me feel so bad soon after drinking that I can no longer do it.
    Funny how your body changes

pedalhead
    Free Member

My condolences! Although, “4 or 5 beers on a Saturday” is about my monthly intake so I’d happily swap yours for mine 😀

jota180
    Free Member

That’s it, we’ll swap allergies

I hate coffee anyway 😀

VanHalen

i have sinus issues i think are caffine related. and defo linked to alcohol. i can only drink gocertain wines/beers without sneezing. i love guiness but i’m allergic.

and i have asthma. asthma is linked to many things (allergy being one) i find if i health binge i dont suffer as bad. its not fun though.

be interested to know what your doc says. mine just gives me steroid reated medicines to treat any ailment i may have.

i persevere though as the alternative (redbush tea!) is just a bit shit.

edsbike
    Free Member

I also feel terrible the day after drinking alcohol 😉

Seriously, my condolences pedalhead, I think I’d struggle without, although I guess your body would just get used to not being artificially stimulated into life every morning.

29erKeith
    Free Member

if it’s of any relevance I used Salbutamol for the Asthma

I just grew out of the asthma as a lot of kids do apparently. I always avoided caffeine because of the allergy (used to just make me vomit) but had drink given to me at some point in my early 20’s which I discovered after contained Red Bull…. no sickness so I experimented a bit and seems the caffeine allergy was no longer.

I still can’t stand the taste of coffee or tea.
    The number of people who can’t seem to get their heads around me not liking either astounds me still.

“what you don’t like Tea or Coffee?!?! what do you drink???…”
    “errr water, juice, milk, squash, Beer, Cider, Wine, just no coffee or Tea”
    “wierd!” 🙄

dknwhy

Have you tried decaf?
    How about caffeine in tea?

I have a similar thing with fruit. I make up for it by eating chocolate.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Glitch!

DrP

Bad times!
    Interestingly…a caffine derivative is used to treat severe asthma (theophylline).

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots and lots of weird stuff in coffee and tea etc, as above try different kinds. Lighter roasts, decaf, different provenances, Starbucks do blonde coffee which is quite nice.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Interesting factoid there, DrP.

Actually my next step (as well as seeing the doc) is to cut out coffee and switch to tea for a few days to see if it’s the coffee or the caffeine. In the meantime, this nice looking pack of jaffa cakes will have to suffice.

Oh hang on, there’s caffeine in chocolate isn’t there… 😯

Trimix
    Free Member

Hopefully you wont have bought a coffee machine like the one I used on our camping trip then.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Not yet! I was still in denial with all those early morning coffees, but my throat’s really swollen today & it’s occurred to me that it could get serious if I’m not careful.

woody2000

Have you tried other caffeine drinks to see if they bring on the same symptoms? Red Bull?

molgrips
    Free Member

to cut out coffee and switch to tea for a few days to see if it’s the coffee or the caffeine

Lots of the same chemicals in both.

Try taking a pro-plus (of equivalent dose to coffee) see if that does anything. Then maybe cola or redbull.

Trekster

I have the same/ similar issue, ended up on Gaviscon for a while 🙄
    Other drinks such as Coke, some beers and wines can also bring on a tightness.
    Also find some ” healthy” breads can cause the same feeling and bring on a bit of a cough 😕
    Had to stop eating Kit Kats ❓ for the same reason and cut down on chocolate consumption ❗

pedalhead
    Free Member

Good idea chaps, better option than trying tea.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Definitely wheezy after coffee, but normally clears with exercise. It can give me gutrot as well, but then so do a few other things I have yet to diagnose (I suspect milk-based products).

Edit: happens with decaf too. So that means it ain’t the caffeine…

pedalhead
    Free Member

PJ, when you say “wheezy”, is it a chesty thing or is your throat swelling up (or something else)?

Trimix
    Free Member

Get it sorted because I am most certainly not giving you the kiss of life while out riding 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

More chest than throat, TBH. It’s a little like recovering from being slightly winded.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Trimix – Member
    Get it sorted because I am most certainly not giving you the kiss of life while out riding

bah, you’ll piss on your bike if it’s a bit cold but won’t give a mate a snog to keep him alive 😛 .

PJ, sounds different to my thing. The coffee reaction is all in the throat for me, very different from the chesty wheezy can’t breathe thing I get with the asthma.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well, just let me know if you get cold 🙂

shifter
    Free Member

Coffee is minging, god is clearly showing you the way : )

pedalhead
    Free Member

Trimix – Member
    Well, just let me know if you get cold

😯 On second thoughts, I’m not sure I can make tonight’s ride after all

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont worry, its warm tonight.

Gets colder for the weekend though.

CaptJon
    Free Member

jota180 – Member
    I’m going to trump this

It looks like I’m overly allergic to alcohol, after spending 35 years with a love of fine beer, it looks like it’s come to an end.

Me too. Diagnosed about ten years ago… midway through uni!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘God hates me…I think I'm allergic to coffee/caffeine’ is closed to new replies.