Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 587 total)
  • God and the Afterlife……?
  • D0NK

So billions of people are terrified of gay people and hate women?

dunno but (b/m)illions follow religions which have doctrine with a bit of a grudge against people who fancy blokes.

footflaps

What about humans who worship a slug god?

If there is an afterlife, one that we can still exist as individuals in, it will go on for ever won’t it? So its either sitting on a cloud playing a harp, chatting to your Dad, going on the ultimate MTB ride or just contemplating the ineffableness of everything . . . for ever.

I imagine that could get quite boring, especially after the first 10,000 years. Unless you could watch events unfold I the “real” world. It would be the ultimate reality TV show. You could sit there tutting and saying “it wasn’t like that in my day”.

But then after a trillion years the universe wold come to an end and it would be back to boring again.

joeelston
    Free Member

There is plenty of atheists who hate women and homosexuals.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

@ the ppl slating aggressively arguing athiests…. Say you knew someone who came to you one day very happy because they had won the jamican lottery and that all they needed to get the money was to email their bank account details. If you knew that the jamican lottery was a farce, wouldn’t you tell them that it was load of old rubbish?

😀

Has anyone ever won the Jamaican lottery in this manner…. ? Of course not

OK but I can tell you as someone who until a few years ago, ( just like you, others on here and possibly most) was basically an atheist … that I am now more content, calmer, feel wonderfully free and basically just much happier than I have ever been.

Not a bad lotto win really, wouldn’t you say ?

And the best part is you don’t have to invest any money, just a bit of time and an open mind

D0NK

There is plenty of atheists who hate women and homosexuals.

Unfortunately there’s plenty of anybody who hate any group you could care to think of (with the possible exception of baby robins). Having been influenced in your hate by a “higher power” seems worse to me than if you hate just because you’re ignorant or an arsehole.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

an open mind

Ooh. I almost… al… most………

But still. Nah.

scuzz
    Free Member

that I am now more content, calmer, feel wonderfully free and basically just much happier than I have ever been.

What led you down this path?

thejesmonddingo

Sedation

thejesmonddingo

Or anti-depressants

FOG

Sorry , but the concept of someone on STW having an open mind is hilarious!!

chewkw
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member

Can you believ in heaven but not believe in God?

To OP … think about it … (I have not read the rest of the threads)

1. There is no creator God but there are many Gods.

2. There is no all knowing science but learning beings.

3. There is no such thing as heaven without hell because without one or the other we would not have existed.

4. There is other explanations beyond that of Abrahamic faith.

To answer your question.

Yes, there is heaven but there is also hell.

Can’t have everything you know … maggots go to the latter to be squashed for fun – squeal maggot squeal!

😈

thejesmonddingo

Obviously FOG,you’re on here.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

For the fear of boring others who’ve heard it before… sorry

Wanted to get my kids in the very good (turns out to be brilliant) church school which meant church attendance.

Now it occurred to me at the time, I can either go to church with resentment (meant giving up sunday morning rides) and thoughts of it’s utter bobbins or go down there with an open mind as see what it’s all about.

So some of it was heavy going and felt myself turning my nose up at parts of it ( Forgive my sins etc etc … I haven’t sinned what you on about ?? But it gets explained/you work it out for yourself) but some of it touched a nerve … the be excellent to each other and yourself bits.

So the weeks past and then found myself feeling happier while I sat in there with my family around me then the old pie and liquor gives the mustard seed sermon and I think … “alright then, go on, lets do the confirmation course I don’t have to commit at the end of it… again, what have I got to lose…. Give it a try….”

It was around this point I told the vicar I didn’t believe in God … maybe not the smartest thing to do when you’re trying to get your kids in his school… but what I did tell him was I thought there was more to life than a massive flat screen tele and a flash motor…. Guess I was already on my way.

But here’s the thing …I still don’t believe in what I thought God was back then…. Strangely enough I’m not stupid enough to think there’s a sky wizard sitting on a cloud somewhere.

But I have been clever enough to learn and found out myself, through my own experience, that God exists.

And my life is better for it

Peace out

chewkw
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member

But I have been clever enough to learn and found out myself, through my own experience, that God exists.

Peace out

Which one? The one who “created” everything? You are confused.

However, if you believe there are many Gods then you are safe.

You can’t have it all.

richc
    Free Member

I think I am in the God exists group, as I simply can’t believe in the infinite, which means that God in some form or another exists; as you can’t argue with physics.

Some people on the other hand are happy to take the leap of faith and believe in an infinite universe. Their choice, and I don’t mind; just seems a bit daft to me, like someone believing in giving 110% percent…….

Thing is with Science is the more we find out, the less we realise we know, so to say if science can’t prove it then it doesn’t exist is stupid as that assumes we already know everything their is to know, where in actual fact we know next to nothing.

richc
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    Ro5ey – Member

Peace out

Which one? The one who “created” everything? You are confused.

So you believe the Universe is infinite? If not, then yes their must be *one*.

Unless you are in the group who thinks that nothing is something, so there was something before the big bang which may have caused our existenance but that’s a massive leap of faith, even bigger than believing in a ‘god’, or you are happy to *believe* the universe has no limits and will continue growing forever, which makes no sense to me

gonefishin
    Free Member

so to say if science can’t prove it then it doesn’t exist is stupid

Most sensible criticism centers not on the existance of a deity, but rather the non falsifiable nature of such a claim and if a claim is non-falsifiable then I for one think it can be dismissed until such time as it becomes falsifiable. See Russell’s teapot.

captain-slow
    Free Member

There is no doubt that many religious people do a lot of good in the world and that they feel their lives are improved by having their faith. This does not mean that there is a god.

richc
    Free Member

So why are we here then?

Unless like I said you believe that the universe is endless, which is a massive leap of faith

gonefishin
    Free Member

So why are we here then?

Why would you think that there has to be a reason?

chewkw
    Free Member

richc – Member

So you believe the Universe is infinite? If not then yes they must be *one*.

I am not a person of science nor a person of God, but I accept that there are people who are strictly scientific and there are people who are adamant of the “creator”.

Both have their own explanations but I do not fall into any of those two.

Unless you are in the group who thinks that nothing is something, so there was something before the big bang which may have caused our existenance but that’s a massive leap of faith, even bigger than believing in a ‘god’

There is not such thing that can appear without previous causation put it bluntly. You have to find the way yourself.

richc
    Free Member

Because:

The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases, because isolated systems spontaneously evolve toward thermodynamic equilibrium—the state of maximum entropy. Equivalently, perpetual motion machines of the second kind are impossible.

If the universe isn’t a closed system, ie: its just really mind numbing massive but not infinite. Then unless you don’t believe in Physics their must be a god, or else we don’t exist.

Which is one of the reasons a lot of brilliant scientist throughout history had to change their minds about the existence of ‘god’, such as Newton, Darwin and Einstein.

It ain’t as simple as ‘I don’t believe, so it can’t be true’, your opinion (as does mine) doesn’t actually matter that much.

jonba
    Free Member

Because:

The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases, because isolated systems spontaneously evolve toward thermodynamic equilibrium—the state of maximum entropy. Equivalently, perpetual motion machines of the second kind are impossible.

Statistical fluke. The universe is big. [Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.]

It is the entropy of the total system that you need to consider so while our own entropy is something of an curiosity overall the system is increasing. Think of it as throwing dice. If you throw them enough you will get a random pattern on a large scale but you’ll get some strange sequences along the way.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Chekwk…. guess there are still things l turn my nose up at. God the Creator beinging of one of them. But that don’t lessen my experience …. it’s not black or white… believe everything or nowt.

Despite what peeps on here have said in the past

jekkyl

btw my question about slugs was to point out how ridiculous the religious concept of heaven is. Why aren’t animals allowed?

chewkw
    Free Member

richc – Member

Because:

Summarise this into one sentence or you fail your exam. 😆

If the universe isn’t a closed system, ie: its just really mind numbing massive but not infinite. Then unless you don’t believe in Physics their must be a god, or else we don’t exist.

No, nothing to do with science or god. The problem is in our maggot brains for being incapable of processing information beyond our tiny parameters.

Which is one of the reasons a lot of brilliant scientist throughout history had to change their minds about the existence of ‘god’, such as Faraday, Newton, Pascal and Einstein.

They support or reject?

It ain’t as simple as ‘I don’t believe, so it can’t be true’, your opinion (as does mine) doesn’t actually matter that much.

It ain’t simple alright because our maggot brains play game with us.

😆

richc
    Free Member

Statistical fluke. The universe is big. [Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.]

It is the entropy of the total system that you need to consider so while our own entropy is something of an curiosity overall the system is increasing. Think of it as throwing dice. If you throw them enough you will get a random pattern on a large scale but you’ll get some strange sequences along the way.

I’ve never heard of Physic changing when things scale up, down to the atomic level yes, but never as things get bigger; that’s one *huge* leap of faith.

That seems to be like arguing that random keys in encryption get less random the bigger they get so are less secure……….

Personally I believe in Physics, if you don’t, that’s upto you.

No, nothing to do with science or god. The problem is in our maggot brains for being incapable of processing information beyond our tiny parameters.

Not really chewk, Laws in Physics are proven facts or else they are theories. This is an observable repeatable event which has been verified by thousands of scientists around the world.

Unless you don’t believe in the Laws of Physics?

They support or reject?

support

chewkw
    Free Member

richc – Member

Unless you don’t believe in the Laws of Physics?

I believe (X-file accent) 😆 But I don’t just because someone says so as I know we have maggot brains.

support

In what way? I think they have given up because they cannot find the answer in life their lifetime to their research so reverted to something … something … 😆

miketually
    Free Member

I love it when someone takes a bit of physics that they clearly don’t fully understand and then add “therefore God” at the end 🙂

CountZero

FOG – Member
    Sorry , but the concept of someone on STW having an open mind is hilarious!!

I refuse to keep an open mind, otherwise people just try to fill it up with rubbish.

5thElefant
    Free Member

IanMunro
    Free Member

I love it when someone takes a bit of physics that they clearly don’t fully understand and then add “therefore God” at the end

I don’t mind that, it’s “therefore religion” I have issues with. 🙂

FeeFoo
    Free Member

It seems that people generally prefer an absolute.
    That’s why the religious are pretty unshakeable and the same goes for the atheists.

It’s not an intelligent state to be in, no matter which end of the spectrum you place yourself.

The cliche that having an open mind means you’ll believe anything is absurd. It just means you have sufficient confidence to have no need of an absolute position to feel secure.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thing is with Science is the more we find out, the less we realise we know,

WTF you are Donald rumsfeld and I claim my known unknowns
    We know tons of stuff compared to a 5000 year old Shepard trying to explain the world in terms of gods.

so to say if science can’t prove it then it doesn’t exist [1] is stupid as that assumes we already know everything their is to know[2], where in actual fact we know next to nothing[3].

If you want to criticise science at least understand it
    [1]science says there is no evidence [ objective verifiable data]to support the view that there is a god – it says nothing really as there is no data just as it says nothing about the spaghetti monster, unicorns, or anything else that is made up – there is no data there is nothing to study.
    What science says is a claim must be [ amongst other things]testable god is not as is anything else pretend/not real. The list of things you cannot prove to be false is limited only by your imagination and your ability to make sure it is not actually real- do you believe in all of those too?
    [2]If science knew everything we would not need science [ straw man and a non sequitor]

[3] The claim we know next to nothing is overstating the case somewhat. Evolution is as true now as it will be in a billion years as will a heliocentric solar system – it is true we do know this. We also know the biblical claims re genesis are false – geocentric universe, age of universe, etc

RichPenny
    Free Member

Meh

jamj1974

but stop mutilating kids genitals, treating women and homosexuals as inferior beings, stop killing animals in barbaric ways

Gross and maybe even offensive generalisation…

and stop telling me I can’t exercise my right to announce that I think your stupid belief is, well, stupid.

Don’t see why anyone would stop you…? You have a total right to your position.

In return you are quite welcome to call my adherence to proven facts stupid, I really don’t mind. Atheism isn’t based on proven facts though – it’s based on a belief in a lack of proven facts…

I don’t think I would call your beliefs stupid. What’s the point of doing that?

Sandwich

says nothing about the spaghetti monster,

Now it’s crossed the line!

Sui
    Free Member

Elephant, that poster up there is bobbins, it fails to take into account and not limited to, evaporation cycles as well as moisture release from bodies, both breathing and when dead. Just goes to show that religion will always fail to come up with a robust answer/argument…

5thElefant
    Free Member

Elephant, that poster up there is bobbins, it fails to take into account and not limited to, evaporation cycles as well as moisture release from bodies, both breathing and when dead. Just goes to show that religion will always fail to come up with a robust answer/argument…

Really? 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 587 total)

The topic ‘God and the Afterlife……?’ is closed to new replies.