Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • goat fell, arran
  • stavaigan
    Free Member

Anyone done it/worth a shot? If not other suggestions for a day on arran?

christhetall
    Free Member

Some excellant routes detailed here

http://www.arranbikeclub.com/

Really enjoyed the Laggan descent, all the stuff around Clauchlands and above Whiting Bay – some great singletrack on which you rarely meet walkers. I found enough to keep myself happy for a week last year

Not sure how much of the route up Goat Fell would be rideable, particularly near the top, but it’s certainly going to be busy with walkers

richmtb

Goat Fell sounds great in theory but I wouldn’t recommend it. Unrelenting climb up the first third followed by and unrelenting push / carry / drag to the top. You would need to be at the top of your game to ride back down it, and its not my idea of fun!

You can follow the tourist route up to where the treeline ends and then pick your way back down through the various bits of single track either side of the main trail but there is better riding elsewhere on the island.

There is some really great bit of riding on the arranbike link above. Second the Clauchland hills its a great bit of trail.

glenh
    Free Member

Some great scrambling and climbing on goat fell and surrounding hills. Do that instead 🙂

matt_outandabout

^ Glenh is right.

Great cycling on Southern half of island, and a few bits on North end.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Clauchland Route is a good day out, clifftop trail is very enjoyable 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Every time I’m up goat fell I always wish I had the bike with me! Granted, the last section is pretty much unrideable, but the rest would be awesome as a descent. I’ll post up some pictures after the weekend, as I’m doing the Arran bike n hike at the weekend (road ride 54 miles round the island, then up and down goatfell)

Greg.

stavaigan
    Free Member

Many thanks for links and recommends. Look forward to your photos Nobeer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Weather looks like my pics may be without views!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘goat fell, arran’ is closed to new replies.