Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Goat’s cheese making kit
  • Harry_the_Spider

I have a goat’s cheese making kit.

I have been ignoring it for a while.

The wife is nagging me to use it and the pain in the arse level of the nagging has now exceeded the pain in the arse level of making the cheese. Therefore I find myself planning to spend a couple of hours making it, and invest more money on goat’s milk than it would cost to just go out and buy a cheese made by somebody who actually wanted to make it in the first place, or at least got paid for his/her efforts.

So, is goat’s cheese made from a kit excellent (meaning that I will have to make the rest of it) or is it ghastly (ruining whatever I choose to serve it with)?

Yours in cheese,

Barbara

binners

And niche post of the week goes too…..

When did you move to Chorlton then? If you start that shit in North Manchester, you’ll get ……

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEQJubPhHvI[/video]

perchypanther
    Free Member

So, is this a specific cheese or is it hypothetical?

Harry_the_Spider

I’d be tempted to go Vegan until it had passed it’s use-by date, but this stuff has the half-life of Strontium.

I’d be tempted to go Vegan until it had passed it’s use-by date, but this stuff has the half-life of Strontium.

So, is this a specific cheese or is it hypothetical?

Specific. Sitting-on-my-kitchen-work-top-specific to be precise.

Mackem

Have you got a goat?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have thought about getting the Cub Scouts involved in a goat’s cheese related scientific experiment?

Two birds – one stone.

ransos
    Free Member

So, is goat’s cheese made from a kit excellent (meaning that I will have to make the rest of it) or is it ghastly (ruining whatever I choose to serve it with)?

I don’t know about your specific kit, but be aware that pasteurized cow’s milk has lower levels of calcium than raw milk, so you may find it sets better if you add some calcium chloride.

I don’t know if the same is true of goat’s milk but it would be worth checking.

binners

Remember….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xLUEMj6cwA[/video]

Northwind

I had an image, opening this thread, that you’d just opened the Goat Cheese Making Kit you were given for christmas and found a decomposing goat in it.

globalti
    Free Member

I once witnessed a man blowing up a goat. Really. This was in Sudan; they killed it then this quite tough-looking guy rocked up, made a nick in its heel behind the tendon then got down and started blowing so hard the veins stood out on his forehead while slapping the body of the goat, which expanded before my amazed eyes as the air worked its way in between the skin and the muscles.

Harry_the_Spider

It is important to have a hobby.

BenjiM

Where did you get the kit from? if it was Moorlands (www.cheesemaking.co.uk), speak to Katherin, she’s very helpful. How long have you had it? Check the use by on your rennet, it’s not usually very long (we get about 3 months on a 25l drum of Danisco Marzyme), same for your starter cultures unless you’ve kept them frozen, even if freeze dried they can still be less effective and you end up with a slow vat. What type of cheese are you trying to make? A hard (Cheddar/Derby) or soft (Capricorn/Camembert) type?

The kit will be fine it uses the same ingredients as we use for making cheese on a large scale (unlike home brew beer and wine kits), although don’t expect your first attempt to turn out fantastically, it takes practice. Don’t rush it either.

We never add any Calcium Chloride to help set our Goats Cheeses (all pasteurised) for what it’s worth.

binners

Sounds like an awful lot of messing about this? Can you not just buy some goats cheese, remove the packaging, and proudly pass it off as your own?

Or just get divorced?

mt
    Free Member

its easy get one with. Alternatively send wife on cheese making course, she’ll love it. Worked for me, also with bread making. yum yum.

Harry_the_Spider

Oh FFS. It makes 10 batches of the bloody stuff!

maccruiskeen

Oh FFS. It makes 10 batches of the bloody stuff!

Thats fine – one batch in the post for each of the first 10 forum member to post on the thread

[counts] shit [/counts]

actually make that one batch for each of the first 10 posts by forumites. Thats better. (bad luck binners)

Harry_the_Spider

[UPDATE]

It wasn’t very nice.

[/UPDATE]

bearnecessities

*cough*

What did the kids think?

Bregante

What did the kids think?

Whey out of order.

Harry_the_Spider

The look and the texture were of goat’s cheese. The taste however was of emulsion paint.

So, it cost me £3.60 to make the same amount of cheese that I could have bought for £2.70.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

You curd try again?

I have the same kit, I got it as a Christmas present. I was planning on doing it this weekend….maybe not now.

Harry_the_Spider

Is it The Big Cheese one?

If so I really wouldn’t bother.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Yeah that is the one!

Harry_the_Spider

Somebody is making a lot of money selling sachets of salt and citric acid in a fancy box including a sheet of muslin and a thermometer. £20+ FFS!

I wish that I had thought of it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Goat’s cheese making kit’ is closed to new replies.