• This topic has 36 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ton.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Goat
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had the pleasure of a lovely goat curry tonight, always fancied trying it, but never seen it on a menu locally. It was bloody nice, my interest is now firmly piqued, just need to find somewhere that sells the meat.

Any good recipes, or online supplier recommendations?.

G.

mattyfez

Had Jamaican goat curry a few times, it’s actually pretty good but the ones I had were full of chucks of bone, traditional style I guess but I’d rather not have to pick bones out.

Other than that, very nice.

colournoise

Better with the bones in for flavour and texture of the sauce. But yeah, fiddlier to eat…

Not used them, but…

Home

iainc

Think they farm them over Perchy’s way, white ones, look a bit like sheep to the rest of us 😀

corroded
    Free Member

I had goat in Mozambique a few years ago. Very tasty. But I don’t think they do it in my local Waitrose yet. Seem to be able to get in London (ie https://www.keevilandkeevil.co.uk/goat)

nedrapier

what’s the greatest curry of all time?

colournoise

nedrapier – Member

Not sure, and I’m sure what I’m about to post is all kinds of STW wrong, but the Chicken Itame I had in Wagamama yesterday was something of a revelation curry-wise. Will need to find an authentic recipe for that somewhere.

Northwind

nedrapier – Member

Nico Vindaloiz

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Goat pepper soup in Nigeria, not really my thing.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

If you want to buy goat meat (or mutton rather than lamb for that matter) try a Halal butcher

thecaptain
    Free Member

Posh butcher in the middle of Harrogate sells it. Packs of diced meat and also whole leg last time I was in.

Scapegoat

Huddersfield indoor market has a butcher that sells goat. Any town or city with a Carribbean population should have a supplier somewhere.

I’ve cooked it a couple of times, and the best recipes involve cooking the meat very slowly in the spice mix until it more or less dries out, then adding water and cooking it again, bit like a proper bhuna style.

Cook it on the bone, much better flavour.

Point of order, it isn’t “goat curry” it’s “curry goat”.

Scapegoat

Oh, and someone asked about the best curry? IMHO it’s a leg of mutton on the bone cooked in a garam massala-heavy spice mix at just over 100 degrees for a minimum of three hours, or even overnight. Some places will call it Handi or even “staff curry”

Kryton57

Thanks, my ocd was twitching.

By coincience its curry goat rice and peas for dinner tonight, yum.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Excellent meat and can be found in some local butchers, our farm shop sells it from time to time. As above curry and look up middle eatern recipes (generally slow cooked (no need to dig a fire pit 🙂 ) with herbs etc and then served with a sauce and rice with sultanas). Will try and google you some.

Traditional sort of dish

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/goat_tagine_with_toasted_74021

Plenty of Moroccan themed stuff, last night we had Meurguez (spicy sausages) with a tomato and onion sauce with harrissa (spicy paste – so basically its a curry type dish) and cous cous but you could easily use slow cook goat

tonyplym
    Free Member

Tried Ti?t canh (goat blood soup) in Vietnam recently – not to my taste, but the stir fried goat dish that followed was delicious.

RustySpanner

nedrapier – Member

Lamb Nihari.

From This’n’That.
    S’what Sunday lunchtime is for.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So is that why your fourm name is scape goat rather than goat scape ? IGMC ….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lamb curry
    Chicken curry
    Beef curry
    Prawn curry
    Fish curry
    Vegetable curry
    Goat curry

It’s not hard.

ton

one of the sweary boys lives next to a west indian lady. she made us a huge cooking pot of goat curry, rice and peas to take on one of our weekends away riding in the lakes.
    it didnt go down well with 10 or so of the lads. i however loved it and managed a couple of huge bowls full.

made it myself and it was nice, but not the same.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So why the thread 😉 ?

Its a meat best slow cooked and in a suace (imho) hence the recipes follow a theme.

This is a Delia Smith favourite of mine from ages ago. Could work with Goat although it will have less fat than the beef and that does add to the dish

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/spanish/spanish-braised-pork-with-potatoes-and-olives

darrell
    Free Member

used to be (still probably is) a small cafe selling goat curry and peas in the Northern Quarter in Manchester

was very very very nice

mountainman

Remember buying some KID’s few years back when in Bristol area and the woman I bought them off said she had refused to sell them to “coloured gent” as she put it for fear that they would end up in a curry.

They went on to be part of a fine herd of grazers that sired many currys n pies later after having a happy life in wales.

Davesport

An excellent selection of goats and tasty stew made from them to be had on Tenerife. Yum.

Drac

Oh, and someone asked about the best curry? IMHO it’s a leg of mutton on the bone cooked in a garam massala-heavy spice mix at just over 100 degrees for a minimum of three hours, or even overnight. Some places will call it Handi or even “staff curry”

Sounds like a Nihari.

Lamb Nihari

slowoldman

Depends if we’re talking Caribbean or Asian.

5thElefant
    Free Member

IMHO it’s a leg of mutton

Definitely worth checking out mutton. Traditionally more expensive and superior to lamb.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

NoBeer you may be able to get goat from these guys Black Face Meat Company Based just outside Dumfries but they do deliver.

mariner
    Free Member

Wildmeat company does goat and squirrel – tastes a bit like swan 😉

sparkyrhino

Mmm goat curry,get a mix of on the bone and diced, from any halal asian store/butcher, no shortage in Chapletown Leeds.Slow cooked for hours, get them bones cracked and sucked 😀

sbob
    Free Member

😆

It’s “curried goat” or “goat curry”, the language is English not French.
    If you must try and emulate the way it is spoken with contraction in your script, it would be “currie’ goat”.

Best curry?
    My signature South Indian style beef and coconut curry is in with a shout, especially if I can be arsed to make parotta as well.
    Makes a refreshing change to the predominantly North Indian food the UK sees.

singletrackmind

I went to a sample tasting menu thing the other night and had pressed goat. Was very nice , meaty bit like water buffalo or venison .
    Be nice in a decent gravy .

DezB
    Free Member

In the spirit of only reading the thread title…
    Yeah, great live band!

[video]https://youtu.be/i7zx_n8vi2g[/video]

hammyuk
    Free Member

Little place just below Cruz de Teá does the best goat you’ll ever eat.

As for buying it – Musclefood sell it online

slowoldman

It’s “curried goat” or “goat curry”, the language is English not French.

As I said earlier, if you are of Caribbean descent it’s Curry Goat.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks sqwubbsy!

I love a beef rendang, haven’t made it for ages though..

ton

lamb nihari……..like **** lava.

proper bumburning lava

[url=https://flic.kr/p/W148ep]2017-07-29_10-08-34[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Goat’ is closed to new replies.