Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Go to Gate?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

So do you go before they ask, on the go to gate, on the please go to the gate or on the final call, or even on the it’s about to leave and we are waiting for you call?

If it helps the Peroni is free where I am now…

alfabus
    Free Member

If you have an allocated seat, go at the last moment.

Also, when you arrive at the other end, wait until the aisle is clear before you stand up; rather than standing up and queuing next to your seat for 10 minutes.

gobuchul
    Free Member

It’s a hard one.

If your flying business then you get your priority boarding and the peroni should be free onboard as well?

However, if you can delay sitting on those awful things even by 15mins then that’s a good thing.

Have you checked baggage? If so they will call you before leaving you so play the long game and have another peroni.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Are you the pilot?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pleb class just have the free peroni card due to the miles flown this year.

just got another one in and not called yet (it is the last flight of the day and I have to clear security)

BoardinBob

Also, when you arrive at the other end, wait until the aisle is clear before you stand up; rather than standing up and queuing next to your seat for 10 minutes.

This +1,000,000

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Row 6 so off early, never pick a seat behind the wings – armatures

alfabus
    Free Member

armatures

Maybe you have had enough Peroni?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I take your point, just a quick champers before heading off

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If it helps the Peroni is free where I am now…

T5 Satellite gate?

For me, it depends what seat I’m in. If in my preferred spot of 62A/K, then I go pretty damned early, as it’s nice to be able to sit down, get settled and organised and relaxed. If I’m downstairs, on a 777/single deck, or in PE, I go in a little later, as there’s no real rush or benefit to getting in earlier.

Don’t, whatever you do, do what I once did on a flight to SFO. Got chatting to a chap in the lounge, and then suddenly realised that they’d done that “Last passenger” call for my flight. Which was at a satellite. I rushed like never before to the train, then ran up the escalators to the gate, flew in to the plane and looked, through rather drunk eyes, at the masses downstairs and down the back looking very pissed off at the fact they’d been waiting for that one last passenger. Namely me. Then I went upstairs, sat down and did the crossword. 🙂

tomhoward

Don’t, whatever you do, do what I once did on a flight to SFO. Got chatting to a chap in the lounge, and then suddenly realised that they’d done that “Last passenger” call for my flight. Which was at a satellite. I rushed like never before to the train, then ran up the escalators to the gate, flew in to the plane and looked, through rather drunk eyes, at the masses downstairs and down the back looking very pissed off at the fact they’d been waiting for that one last passenger. Namely me. Then I went upstairs, sat down and did the crossword.

*Applauds*

You must’ve created an extra special level of hatred…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Melbourne I just lost as there were 2 after me on the flight… A mere 10mins before actually taking off. It’s nicer than qantas but the wrong side of security to really cut it fine. The explosive cop a feel guys were eyeing me up as it was….

D0NK

Don’t, whatever you do, do what I once did on a flight to SFO

me and mate sat in airport bar got another round in, it’s 8:30 take off isn’t til 8:45 better drink these quick then. Forgot they have to get everyone sat down, close doors and all that other shit before take off time. “would passengers Mr Donk and Mr Donk’s mate kindly get their arses to gate 22 immediately” whoops!

I aim to be one of the last people on and off the plane, I really don’t see the fascination with queueing some people have. They swindled me last time I flew, called to gate, sat and waited for the boarding card queue to disappear, went through to find a massive queue just around the corner, no-one had even boarded yet, grrr.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You must’ve created an extra special level of hatred…

I could feel the venom, bile and hatred burning in to me. As I tucked in to a very pleasant smoked duck salad. 🙂

avdave2

Row 6 so off early, never pick a seat behind the wings

I’ll often pick row 13 on short haul – near the emergency exits should the worse happen and no chance of a nervous flyer having decided to pick a seat next to you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

13 is the exit on most of ours so a good choice but hard to get or extra, off early today but bags were delayed for the 300m they had to travel to the terminal.

As soon as they replace the safety briefing with the travel manual the better it will be

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbbXGW5czKo[/video]

hot_fiat

An American colleague of mine has a running picture thread on Facebook of business people queuing before the gate is even open. He terms them “an insistence of men”.

European flight: amble along a little after the go to gate.
    Transatlantic flight Westbound: go to gate as it says go to gate, then lurk in the corridor outside the DoHS checks until the queue dues down.
    Transatlantic flight Eastbound: go to gate, wait for stupid duty free bag person, stream of 19 frequent flier status categories, boarding groups A through to some letter you can’t work out as the announcement may as well have been spoken by a vogon, before finally realising that it’s now a free for all.
    Russian flight: go to gate, drink more vodka, be searched again, get on plane and hold on!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol @hot fiat

Today was finish Peroni, see bar staff had run off as there was only our flight and one to Darwin 3hrs later left so go for some Champagne, finish that, shut down laptop head to security dodge old people and those who don’t get the idea of putting things into trays, say hello to the woman on the wine tasting/wine buying club stand that is there every week who used to give me free wine before I could get free stuff in the airport, walk onto plane. Curse while sat there for 10 mins waiting while last 2 smug passengers (also fro lounge) arrive, wait some more then leave.

Home 90 mins later.

iolo
    Free Member

They way I do it

Check in online, window seat close to the front (not too close or you have a curtain in front). I try and get row 7.
    Go to gate sign before comes on go. Sit by the exit gate. Once business class has boarded get to the gate as it’s just near where you are sat. Be one on the first on the plane. Put hand luggage in overhead with enough room. Sit sown. Sleep. Job done. Wake when the food arrives. Be one of the first to leave the plane as you’re close to the front and business class is never full.

Marge
    Free Member

I fly mostly pan-european and on the flights carry-on luggage capacity is quite limited hence if I’ve got a bag don’t wait too long.

I did miss a flight once(Brussels airport) whilst hanging out in the business lounge because there were no calls or updates on the screen…
    Whoops.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Go to Gate?’ is closed to new replies.