Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Go pro alternative action cam
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking for a “action cam”. Would be using for simple stuff like filming my daughter out and about, filming stuff in the workshop maybe. Stuff I use my phone for now but want to have a device I am less worried about and can mount easily a few places, not kill the battery on my phone etc.

Loads on ebay but I can’t tell them apart as I have no camera knowledge.

TheBrick
    Free Member

e.g what makes a £100 unit better than this £25 unit

dknwhy

Sjcam would get my vote. Whichever model suits your budget.

wukfit
    Free Member

There one at Aldi at the moment for £50 looks alright

joebristol

I’d suggest looking at SJCAM. Either an sj4000 or M10. Basically the same camera just in different shape cases. My M10 was £37 off eBay – couldn’t find it cheaper than that.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Thanks looks interesting.

Looking up the SJCAM it outwardly looks very similar to the I lined In the OP. I guess it is a rip off.

Any recommendation for easy visiting software. Literally simple. Fast-forward cut that bit out, cut that bit out, concatenate the bits I want to keep

prawny

Windows movie maker is a piece of cake to use, takes a while on my crappy laptop but does the job nicely. Free too, which is nice

joebristol

I haven’t edited any video yet from my sjcam m10. I’ve got a Mac mini, so was thinking about using iMovie. Newer macs seem to have thus included for free, but mine doesn’t so will need to buy it for a tenner. No idea if my mac has enough processing power to do this quickly / easily, but will know early next year. Currently off my bike after shoulder surgery.

The cheaper sjcam rip offs maybe as good, or may not. Looking online there are mixed reviews – I think the main problem is you just don’t know what you’re getting. Make sure you order one that has sjcam printed on the front – lots call themselves sj4000 in the eBay ad, but none of the ripoffs have sjcam printed on them. Note the box the camera comes in has a scratch off panel so you can verify it is geuine on the sjcam website.

I broke the on/off button on mine – and for $10 sjcam repaired it – I had to send it back to China. That $10 seemed to be partly for postage do seemed fair. They even gave me an extra battery when they sent it back.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Interesting thanks.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Amazon were selling the sjcam m10 plus (in yellow) for £69.

It’s got image stabilisation and all the usual accessories.

For me it was that or the Polaroid cube PLUS. The cube plus has image stabilisation too and probably a ‘faster’ (better in low light f2.0 lens)

Haven’t had the chance to try out my m10+ as I’ve just been knocked off my bike (slight hijack there!)

aracer
    Free Member

Sjcam is good value, but I have a Xiaomi Yi one which has a slightly higher spec (it can do 1080p at 60fps which an SJ4000 or M10 can’t) for not a lot more money – and supposedly a better quality sensor as well. Depends how much you want to spend – you probably can’t go wrong with either for typical basic filming most of us do.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Another Xiaomi Yi user here. For the price, a fantastic bit of kit. Very happy with it. Heaps of cheap spares and compatible with GoPro accessories.

The Xiaomi Yi 2 is also getting some fantastic reviews.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

alternative to the xiaomi and def worth looking at would be the GitUp Git2. similar price and spec, but it came out on top in the many reviews/comparisons i read before buying.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Maplin have their version on sale

JackHammer

Saw that Aldi cam, anyone got one? How does it compare to say a go pro session

MtbRoutes

Git2 is great. New firmware has just added image rotation for when you need to use it upside-down, eg. with some chest mounts.

JackHammer

This is the aldi one I’m referring to.

Alphabet

I have an SJCAM. Although I’ve not used it loads, the output looks great to my untrained eye.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Got a couple of Silverlabel Focus Action Cam on order, £89.99
    http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycling/electronics/cameras/silverlabel-focus-action-cam-1080p/

There is one below at £49.99
    and one above for £159.99

aracer
    Free Member

They’re rather coy about the 1080p only being at 30fps, so lower spec than what I have for more money.

paladin

prawny – Member
    Windows movie maker is a piece of cake to use, takes a while on my crappy laptop but does the job nicely. Free too, which is nice

It doesnt work with .MOV files does it? I took a load of clips on my lads SJ4000, but no idea how to edit them, windows movie maker doesnt like them.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

sjcam are great, the wifi is quite cool to control via an app from ipad et al, but the downside of them is that when using the buttons on the waterproof housing its really easy to snap the tactile switches on the board. google it, it comes up a lot. shame as they are great otherwise.

jamesg55
    Free Member

It’ll be worth looking at the super basic GoPro hero which they release a year or so back. I had an old hero 2 but the battery was going and the new budget hero was defo better quality.
    I got it new for £99
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/the-99-gopro-hero-first-look-42576/

Here is link to me using it. bd sure to change the quality on YouTube as it starts playing the videos in lower Quality https://youtu.be/76ussfP9Kow

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Go pro alternative action cam’ is closed to new replies.