Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Go-Pro Advice
  • mtb1992
    Free Member

Ok people so im wanting to buy a gopro but very unsure of what to get. There is that many out there and i get the basic feeling they pity much all do the same?
    Im wanting it so i can record my bike outing etc etc
    Money wise well im happy enough to spend £200 max give or take a little

any help from people who have them would be awesome

Thanks
    Tom

timwillows
    Free Member

Depends what you want to be able to do as the more you pay the more features you get and the better quality you can achieve. Money wise I’d suggest a 4 Silver in the current sales at about £220 as this should give you everything you will need and have plenty of capability if your interest grows.
    The basic go pro will cost about £100 and meet your current needs, but you might need to sell it on if you get into it and want to take things further. Personally I don’t get the ‘session’ versions as they are only slightly smaller and have way less flexibility.
    Gopro copies are worth a look as much cheaper but don’t seem to hold their value as well so possibly don’t save very much in the long run.

acidtest
    Free Member

I’ve got a hero 4 silver and the new session 5. The silver hasn’t been used since buying the session. If you use a smart phone then I’d recommend the session if not then go for the silver as it’s got an lcd screen on the back.

Did a little review of the session…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/impressed-with-the-new-gopro-hero5-session-mini-review

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I had the original GoPro HD Hero back in 2010 and used it loads. It finally died in a downpour out in the Alps somewhere last year so I bought a GoPro Session 4 and have enjoyed using that ever since (didn’t even realise there was a Session 5 out until I read this thread).

Re what you should get really depends on firstly how much of a gadget-nerd you are i.e. do you enjoy playing with endless settings or do you just want to turn it on and record good quality footage and secondly what you are doing with the footage. If you are just going to mash it down to some level for youtube upload (other sites are available) then it seems pointless to get one with 4k definition.

I find the Session is much easier to use with it’s simple turn on and start recording, turn off and stop recording functionality.

Plus the smallness and lightness of it makes for better recording i.e. it doesn’t bounce around so much on my chesty mount or it’s not so heavy when mounted on my lid. See website link in profile for a vast selection of edited videos.

joebristol

Got a go pro hero session for my birthday recently. Picture seems good enough for me and like the small box design. Not at all good at editing yet – hate go pro studio software. Going to have a play with iMovie next time. Here’s a very short clip I took with it recently to give you an idea of picture quality. I’m slow in the. One at the moment – not allowed to leave the ground due to shoulder.

https://youtu.be/F_loYjzjAmE

prawny

I’ve got the basic new session and it’s great.

I’d go for the session 5 if I had the extra £100, but I didn’t at the time. I use mine every day as a commute dashcam, I might get a session 5 one of the days and relegate the basic one to rear facing. I’d have more £s in cameras on my bike than the bike itself!

willstaffs
    Free Member

Just got a Session 5 for Christmas, what mounts does everyone recommend for mountain biking? Obviously the chest harness but any others?

timwillows
    Free Member

I have got best results fro helmet mount – if you can avoid branches
    bar mount is good, but prone to vibration and noise
    but a bag of cheap ones and find which you like then get a good quality one

prawny

Chest or helmet as above, could get the roll hoop one for different angles if you’re going to edit stuff rather than just record sections of trail for posterity.

Under seat mount looks good if you ride with other people too, no good for me though 😥

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

The hero 5 editions also have the option for overlay of stats now which makes it a good shout if it’s for filing trail sections as opposed to mashup style “edits”

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

@willstaffs, IME it’s best to get as many mounts as possible and then combine footage from all the different mounts to make an interesting video. So that means as well as chesty mount you can get:

– handlebar mount
    – saddle mount for rear facing stuff
    – helmet mount
    – selfie stick, always good for unusual shots

and then when editing, pull a load of different shots together a bit like this (ok so it’s road bikes but you get the picture)

Gold, Guns, Girls!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Go-Pro Advice’ is closed to new replies.