Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Go-pro????
  • jonnyrockymountain

Thinking about buying go-pro?
    Which model is best for bike?
    Is there any other makes I should be looking at?
    And is it easy to transfer and edit on iPad?
    Cheers guys

northernmatt

<watches with interest>

Thinking of getting one for keeping a record in case anything happens commuting

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Transfer? No idea probably best WiFi or cloud.
    Others? Loads from the cheap deal extreme ones to Sony and a few others – search is your friend.

Currently using a 4 silver, really like the quality and features. As for editing not sure how much power an iPad has but may struggle with anything too complex, will let others comment. Normally edit on a desktop with a mouse and lots of power. Try a google for go pro edit on iPad.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/124398697[/video]
    Very simple crop and export vid

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For commuting buy something cheap and disposable

rickmeister

Have a look on here for the SJ4000 thread, loads of good info…

I edit with a Mac and iMovie, find it easier than Windows MovieMaker personally… as Mike says, not sure about iPads.

jonnyrockymountain

Any more guys!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Very pleased with my GoPro Hero, it’s not horribly more expensive than the SJ4000 without the risk of exploding chargers or buying a copy of the copy GoPro and you get to use the GP editing suite which is easy to use and has HD output unlike MS movie maker. Battery life is good, enough to film 10 lifts worth of runs at BPW I found plus it’s does 60fps if you want or 1080p if you don’t.

Here’s a quick clip I made a few weeks ago.

project
    Free Member

Ion cameras or rollie lots of models out there i have both,

larkim
    Free Member

If you’re a penny pincher, SJ4000 (or clones of SJ4000s which is what I think I have) are perfectly fine for a minimal investment.

Here’s a vid my lad made a couple of days ago using the el-cheapo camera that we have.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZftwyxqaY[/video]

flyingmonkeycorps

I find it hard to see past the SJ4000 to be honest. The full fat GoPros are better, sure, but I would choose the SJ4000 over the new £100 Hero and the Silver and Black are a LOT more expensive.

Obligatory SJ4000 footage:

[video]https://youtu.be/vitIty-2-CA[/video]

reedspeed
    Free Member

ya nearly hit that tree Larkim !…lol

whitestone
    Free Member

I got a GoPro Hero4 as a birthday present and am still learning about the setup/shooting side of things.

You might struggle to edit on an iPad – the GoPro SW requires 4Gb RAM as a minimum and most iPad models have 1Gb or less. Even using other S/W, video editing is a massively resource intensive process and on an underpowered machine will be an exercise in frustration or consumption of lots of cups of tea/coffee.

Using the GoPro app you can connect to the camera and view the clips stored on its memory card, useful for a quick review. It’s also useful in setting up the camera with chest/helmet mount for bike use.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a GoPro Hero 3 and am underwhelmed by the quality for the price. If you want a camera where you can film stuff then edit a few clips into a series and upload it to youtube then it isn’t ideal- the colours are flat, the white balance funny and the quality not as good as it could be. I spent about 2 hours fettling this video to make it look OK-

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie2E8374Huk[/video]

I’d hoped that the 4 would improve on the 3 but looking at mikewsmith’s footage it hasn’t. In fact the videos up there produced on the cheap ones look better.

flyingmonkeycorps

To be fair, the footage on mine is quite heavily processed. This is straight out the camera:

[video]https://youtu.be/limcMaFXYM8[/video]

I find the GoPro footage a bit too saturated and bright, though I think you can download a ProTune setting to get more “raw” footage. Which Ironically makes it look more like the unprocessed cheap cameras.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

I have a hero and it’s awesome, however I have stopped using it so much lately as I found it made me push myself too hard to look ‘cool’ and I was just binning it all the time.

GoPro studio is great and frustrating in equal measures – ideal for short edits not so good for longer ones IMO.

When we borrowed one from work for a summer jaunt it seemed to sink up with my mates macbook easily enough.

I say go for it but be prepared to become addicted to filming EVERYTHING for a few months as that seems to be the nature of ownership.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3 but looking at mikewsmith’s footage it hasn’t. In fact the videos up there produced on the cheap ones look better.

It’s hard to get the light balance better as that was just about what it looked like on the day 🙂
    That clip was zero editing too. I want to have a play with the pro tune stuff but not had time

Deveron53
    Free Member

I swear by my Sony HDR-AS20. The main advantage over the GoPro and it’s clones is the image stabilisation. I notice most of the clips above are all avoiding on-bike footage!
    I got the camera for £120 and the wrist remote for £80. Shop around, the bargains are out there. The wrist remote has a better wifi signal, is waterproof and when I upgrade the firmware it will enable loop recording!
    Other good points:
    Fast exposure reaction when moving from dark to light and vice versa.
    Good battery life
    Will adapt easily to use Gopro mounts
    Can be set to record inverted.

flyingmonkeycorps

I looked at the Sony, the stabilisation looks quite cool but only a 120* view angle put me off a little bit. I prefer a chest mount for onboard footage, and again the Sony isn’t ideal for that.

But I prefer off bike footage anyway to be honest.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I notice most of the clips above are all avoiding on-bike footage!

That’s because it’s boring 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

That’s because it’s boring

That’s because most people don’t spend enough time editing and think that a 20 minute video of whatever trail is inherently interesting whereas with some ruthless editing and the occasional change of view (Warning: you may have to get off your bike 😯 ) two minutes would be enough.

Wink smiley received and understood!

STATO
    Free Member

I swear by my Sony HDR-AS20. The main advantage over the GoPro and it’s clones is the image stabilisation. I notice most of the clips above are all avoiding on-bike footage!
    I got the camera for £120 and the wrist remote for £80. Shop around, the bargains are out there. The wrist remote has a better wifi signal, is waterproof and when I upgrade the firmware it will enable loop recording!
    Other good points:
    Fast exposure reaction when moving from dark to light and vice versa.
    Good battery life
    Will adapt easily to use Gopro mounts
    Can be set to record inverted.

Never found image stabalisation an issue on my gopro, but the wider pov tends to reduce the requirement?

Loop recording, think the GP can do that without remote?
    Good battery life, my GP has seemed pretty good
    Can be set to record inverted, GP can do that but never never really understood the benefit, just rotate it in editor? Contour was better as could rotate lens 90, which has more benefit for mounting options.

Price on sony seems good, tho remote is spendy much like the GP remote. You can chest mount anything with no issues (used my contour on GP chest mount with adaptor, worked really well)

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Wheres everyone picking up the sj4000 from these days?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Go-pro????’ is closed to new replies.