Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Go pro 1080 – a good buy?
  • garethh
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a helmet cam for biking, skiing etc, has anyone used this and what do they reckon, CRC seems to be one of the ‘cheapest’ at £300

Cheers,

Gareth

Northwind

Not sure it is. It was the best option for helmet cameras til the new 960 came out but it gives you 9/10ths of the goods for around half the price. You lose the highest resolution setting IIRC, oh and it’s not compatible with the “backpacks” which is no big deal since they don’t actually exist.

I really rate my original HD gopro but I don’t think I’d buy one now, I reckon I’d get the 960.

Oh, I got mine off Ebay US and it came to something like £210 delivered with all duties paid.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oja63JEemg[/video]I think its an exellent bit of kit,I use it more than I thought I would,If you ride lots of Singletrack the Gopro really works well as the wide angle lens gives the picture a dynamic look.

Its down to your budget really HD is the future if you want the quality shots,but the none hd versions are equaly as good if you can live with the lower res picture

garethh
    Free Member

Whats the difference between the 960 and 1080 (I might be being dumb!), I don’t mind spending a bit more to get something that will last and gets good quality videos

solamanda
    Free Member

I borrowed two of them to take footage in the alps. I don’t think they are as good as a gopro. You can’t mount them as a chest cam, the shape of them makes them harder to mount sometimes, I had one of their glue mounts fail resulting in camera damage, they take a special battery. The standard battery (AAA IIRC), of the go pro makes more sense. They suffer abit going from dark/light but the quality is pretty good. A waterproof over cover like standard with a gopro should be an essential upgrade to protect it. They are fragile. The on/off/film button is extremely hard to use with gloves and often takes a long time to start recording, resulting alot of frustration.

My video http://vimeo.com/14265264

Northwind

Solamonda… What are you talking about? “I don’t think they are as good as a gopro”, we’re talking about gopros here 😕

thickens
    Free Member
    chiefP
    Free Member

garethh,

The HD HERO 960 limited to 960p, while the HD HERO 1080p is the full HD package.

http://pointofviewcameras.co.uk/blog/povuk/article/the-all-new-gopro-960p-hd-hero/

I got my GOPRO HD 1080p and the chest mount from CRC for £260 but thats when they had the XMas discount going on.

solamanda
    Free Member

Clearly I was going mental, I was talking about the contour. Ignore that…

OmarLittle
    Free Member

i got one a couple of weeks ago in wiggles 20% off sale, brought the price down to almost what it would have cost from pinkbike sending from the US which was the cheapest site i’d found

Not used it yet though still waiting for delivery

Northwind

Possibly plus tax. But even then it’s good.

Blueadvocate

Yeah I’m torn on this these; the GoPro is ticking the boxes because of the chest mount and the stills option but I like the HDMax Extreme.
    HDMax Thread

megastream
    Free Member

Not much use now, but Evans had these on there gift promo last week with 20% off….

My bruv has got one, fantastic quality and the 2 second frame still shots have got some really funny actions shots.

Downside to it is terrible to use at first, you have very little idea what the unit is doing and the controls are something out of the dark age. Get your head round how it works and it’s brilliant, the lens is so wide it’s like a fish-eye.

Dango
    Free Member

Bought mine in the Evans sale, yet to use it, but will be picking my modified helmet strap today from the local dressmaker who is turning it into a chesty for a few quid.

I gave them this picture:

and asked them to do a better job

Dango
    Free Member

The next DIY mod I’m going to try over the xmas break is making one of these:

out of a used and unwanted thule clamp (free) similar to:

Dango
    Free Member

Not bad:

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Dango, what are you goin to use the Thule clamp to try and make? (serious question).

Re GoPro HD, they are great. Excellent picture quality but what really distinguishes them is the number of different ways you can mount them on yourself or your bike and have a stable platform to record from instead of some dodgy bracket that wobbles like a jelly and ruins any footage.

Missing from the HD HERO 960 that you get on the full 1080 are

* 720p @ 60fps (I’ve only used this once)
    * 1080p video (all my videos are shot using 960 @30fps)
    * the HERO BUS expansion port. As mentioned above, the LCD screen doesnt even exist at the moment so no loss there.

Plenty of videos that I have shot and edited if you click on my name above.

martinxyz
    Free Member

so what is on the market with 1080/60fps?

does anyone know of a camera that shoots with a lens that makes everything look as normal as possible? medium format would be nice! i just dont like the wide angle of these cameras. the on board footage of early grand prix racing with non fisheye stuff is what i would like for on the bike.not sure what the lens would be known as though.

Dango
    Free Member

Richard

I thought the gopro mounts looked a bit cr@p for what they cost and two might be needed for different surface areas, post and frame (rollcage)
    I saw the one above and didnt want to pay £50, it looks so similar to the Thule clamp (I have two knocking about) so thought I might have a go at fashioning something similar.

Martin, get an EOS 7D

superfli
    Free Member

I agree that the mounts are expensive for the gopro. Unfortunately there isnt much choice unles you make your own. I did find a shop not far from me that sold their own chest mount:
    http://www.gearedbikes.co.uk/
    £20, so 1/2 price, if you cant be bothered to try and fashion one yourself.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

superfli, I’m interested in buying a chest mount from geared bikes. what did you think of the one you bought? Is it worth it? cant find one on their site…

Cheers

yodagoat
    Free Member

MTB Idle – some nice vids there.

_tom_
    Free Member

If it is 960p then that’s a bit rubbish as it’s not a proper standard.. I would’ve thought it’d be limited to 720p then they save 1080p for the higher end ones.

superfli
    Free Member

cm1982, the chest mount is very simply made. In fact I briefly looked at making some myself and flogging them cheap. Luggage straps around the chest and over the shoulders, into a big buckle. Then a gopro flat sticky mount on buckle. Using the extending arm mounts from the helmet hero pack, you can attach the camera with enough angle (using the max tilt). It works fine 🙂

I phoned the shop asking for the chest mount and they told me of their own version. Give them a bell.

Klunk
    Free Member

i don’t see why you should spend anything on a chest mount works even better now i run it upside down. Keeping it attached to the backpack makes the whole thing a lot less hassle.

Lummox

this is footage from Gopro hd i bought through pinkbike.

Obviously chest mounted or ‘bra cam’ as it’s known, fittings are solid and mount is stable, looked at diy but didn’t want that ‘epic’ run ruined due to diy strappage.

[video]http://vimeo.com/12639900[/video]

please excuse grunting,panting and general faffing

ooOOoo
    Free Member

960p is 4:3 hmmmm

superfli
    Free Member

I dont think you’d miss the 1080p res, I only shoot in 960 on the MTB and 720 30fps on the m/bike.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Go pro 1080 – a good buy?’ is closed to new replies.