Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • go pro
  • joemacca51
    Free Member

what is the best way to mount the go pro?

Looking to produce the best image, so not too shaky.

druidh
    Free Member

Chest mount seems to be the most successful.

joemacca51
    Free Member

ok great, thanks I would of thought that, chest being the most stable body part.

_tom_
    Free Member

Head seems least shaky but chest offers the best view imo. Helmet with a bit of peak in the side of the shot seems to give a bit of perspective.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Chest mount is ace. Still can’t quite work out how not to end up only getting the first 20 yards of trail in front of me however, even when setting it up pointing to my chin…:-(

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Chest is good, but it has to be done up bloody tight to stop the wobble. Make sure you haven’t got Moobs either, as it’s not a good look.

Personally I hated wearing it, and the GoPro has a nasty habit of flattening the feed if you wear it on your lid.

If you can put up with it on the chest strap, go for it. Read up on the tips for reverser mounting it & flipping the image when editing for better results (and being able to watch more than a nice video of your TT/stem).

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I found with the chesty – ditch the bracket that it come with (longer curved one) and use the normal one, have the camera upside down, in upside down mode, tilted down as far as the bracket will let you. Have it low-ish, where your sternum ends and tight so it wont bounce around.

On the down tube is a good angle, pointing forward so you get the forks in shot doing the trombone. Do that with the helmet mount and a bit of gaffer tape. Also seat tube pointing back looks good if there is some one following you; or forward for a mostly bike angle. Pointed at the rear shock for a few seconds of “look how much travel Im using”. On the bars pointed at you for the grin shot…..

Don’t forget the submerged in beer finale.

Hours of fun! 😀

foofighter
    Free Member

Experiment ! But you are always going to get some shake given what you are doing, although if you are mouting on the bike a full sus is better than a hardtail for obvious reasons. Look on some of the Bikecam forums on Vimeo to get some ideas of what produces results you like watching.

IME Chest mount is good. Helmet mount is good as your natural self leveling mechanism in your neck helps. If bike mounting, crank up the fixings with a screw driver. Try and keep the number of fixing joints down or go for aftermarket RAM mounts.

Euro
    Free Member

Less wobble/shake when helmet mounted but as mentioned this makes the ground look much flatter than it is. Chest mount give a greater sensation of speed, but a lot of chesty vids show too much top tube/arms and bars for my liking.

edit: in true Blue Peter fashion, here’s one I made earlier

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHqoQ0W_wOg&hd=1[/video]

druidh
    Free Member

It’s a pity that they are all Wide Angle now. I appreciate that this improves you chances of getting the trail in shot, but I think it does let you see too much of the rider/bike and it also means you have to be only inches away from rider you are following, else they seem too distant.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Wide angle also helps cut out the choppiness/vibration

_tom_
    Free Member

That looks good to me euro, does seem to make it look a bit flat but you get the feeling of speed and also you can actually see the jumps happening which wasn’t the case with the chest mounted one.

Also Innerleithen looks awesome! Definitely going to try and get up to Scotland to ride this summer.

Northwind

Best single option is chest- and do remember to crank on the straps, the tighter the more stable. But better still is to move it around, any single-POV video’s likely to be a bit dull. Side of helmet is much better than top of helmet IMO, especially on a fullface, and the seatpost mount is really nifty- not just for nice seat shots but also bar mount. pointing back towards the rider makes for a really interesting shot, even if it does make it look like you have monkey arms.

hugor
    Free Member

I prefer it on the front of the helmet pointing slightly down.
    If you get the angle right you can fit the bars in.
    It gets less dirt on it up there and is the most stable compared with the chest strap.
    I think you see more of the trail too without the toptube and bars blocking most of it.

Johnbot
    Free Member

If you have a FF that has space to take the pad sling it from your jaw line. Gives more of a riding the bike rather than on top of your helmet view. me dicking around with the camera on my jaw line

pitcherpro
    Free Member

I agree with others , experiment ! The helmet mount strap is very versatile , i’ve mounted it on the saddle rails for rear facing/or suspension footage, under the downtube filming the forks (use one of the straps and loop it round) or mount it on the side of a normal helmet and use the angle mounts with the camera upside down .
    I like to use a program called race render where you can use picture in picture ! I’m lucky enough to own 2 go pros
    😀
    fork

Chest & Helmet

More in picture footage(inc crashes)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘go pro’ is closed to new replies.