Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Go Outdoors sold to JD Sports
  • dogthomson

Go Outdoors sold to JD Sports

I wonder where this leaves Calibre?

Hopefully not here…

😆

BoardinBob

I’ve only been in one Go Outdoors and yes the stock was cheap, but the shop was an absolute tip.

Their MO is pretty much the same as Sports Direct albeit without the buying of brand names and sticking it on cheap crap (as far as I know)

They’re not that far apart really. Buy it cheap, stack it high

13thfloormonk

Wow, I thought they were already owned by JD Sport, or is that Tisos?

I try to resist Go Outdoors, but it’s right next to my flat, opens late (like 7:30pm on a Friday night when you realise you don’t have a map for the next day’s hike – late) and the staff are actually pretty good, at least two in my local store who seem like legit, knowledgeable hikers.

Still try to support the other stores like Craigdon, Tiso etc. Cotswolds too but can’t help but think they’re part of some big mega-chain also.

Trimix
    Free Member

I find the staff very helpful and quite a good range of stuff. The main plus point is you can see/feel it before buying – in many cases when you use their discount, they are about the same price as via the internet.

So for instant buying and seeing the stuff in the flesh they are good. Cotswold shop seems to have way less stuff at a higher price.

But given how the internet is great for choice and price its not surprising that retail outlets are trying to cut costs.

mike_p
    Free Member

That’s venture capital cashing out… Go Outdoors was backed by one of the big VCT managers

richardthird

OEX lightweight range is pretty good for bikepacking etc. I see GO very much like Decathlon, agreeable.

zilog6128

I’ve only been in one Go Outdoors and yes the stock was cheap, but the shop was an absolute tip.

Their MO is pretty much the same as Sports Direct albeit without the buying of brand names and sticking it on cheap crap (as far as I know)Probably says more about the location than the shop. My local one is extremely tidy, staff knowledgable/enthusiastic, the range runs the gamut from their cheap but good value own brands to “proper” brands (which lets face it are mostly bought for “lifestyle” purposes anyway 🙂 ). Plus their price promise occasionally results in ridiculous bargains! What’s not to like?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Has it already been sold in the past?

The original shop in Sheffield used to be a proper outdoors shop but then it went card only, then offers this offers that, then down hill from then on.

In the least few years I have never found it that cheap.

thepodge
    Free Member

The Sheffield shop isn’t card only, might have been in the past but I don’t remember it being that way. You just have to pay their crazy high RRP if you don’t have one.

Hardly use the place my self.

There always seems to be someone to open the gate and say hi but never any staff when you need help.

Northwind

I like my local go outdoors, it’s just a pain in the arse to get to. Hope this doesn’t screw them over.

Not sure i have an opinion on JD? Blacks went downhill around when they took them over but then I think they were basically bankrupt at the time?

(I did like that when JJB Sports went out of business, JD had a massive homemade banner outside saying “It’s not us! It’s the other guys with the initials! This is a regular sale not a fire sale!”. Very “I ASSURE YOU WE’RE OPEN”)

benp1

I don’t find them too bad, and I’ve certainly benefitted from their price match plus 10% offer on a few occasions. There’s one about 6 miles from me. I’ve picked up a couple of real bargains from there

They have a lot of generic kit, but they have a fair bit of proper kit too. I’d put them miles ahead of a Sports Direct

The only downside is having to spend £5 to be able to benefit

christhetall
    Free Member

Worth mentioning that Go outdoors has funded the second phase of the Lady Cannings development – as a Sheffield based company they were keen to put something back into the local area

(I assume that this is unaffected by the take over, as that section has been delayed, but is now promised by Spring)

brassneck

Hmm, I agree with the ‘generally good’ comments, usually save my fiver membership in the first visit. Not sure this can be considered good news, myself.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Generally a fan. (Sheffield or Hathersage branches). I’ve had as good service there when buying footwear as I have at Outside, and WAY better than the few times I’ve tried to use Ellis Brigham.

They price match if you ask them too

And the big selling point is that, as mentioned above, they chucked a HUGE lump of cash into Lady Canning, which as it’s one of my local trails is quite important to me.

If SD have got hold of them, I can’t see that level of commitment being repeated.

scotroutes

I like Go Outdoors. Never had any issue about stock, quality, price matching.

I’ve worked for Blacks as part of JD Sports. I’ve never felt so undervalued as an employee. Minimum wage, 4 hour shifts (so no paid breaks), no perks until 6 months in, body searched any time on leaving the shop.

Oh and yes, JD have some sort of financial interest in Tiso/Alpine Bikes.

benjamins11
    Free Member

It’s ironic if JD own Blacks. I used to work for GO back in 2002 ish, I remember being at the Christmas party when it was just the the Sheffield branch. The MD John Graham stood up and outlined his plans for the company, one of which was to put Blacks out of business!

klunky
    Free Member

From memory they own 51% of Tiso (who own Alpine).
    Last time I was in an Alpine they seem to be focusing more on road bikes these days.
    I’m sure that won’t be the case for all branches (glentress etc).

sofaboy73
    Free Member

seems a bit of a shame as they used to be good outdoor kit shop with some decent prices to be had with the discount card. however since their private equity investment they seemed to be moving towards the cheap and cheerful end of the market with less and less high quality kit and more budget and own brands. still, maybe it means they’ll sort their online offering out which was always faintly ridiculous when you couldn’t actually buy stuff from it but had to travel to a store where the stock was to pick it up! I used to use the one in Sheffield a lot, less so recently, but it’s a shame that the city won’t have a ‘proper’ kit shop anymore if it goes the way of blacks etc when it’s very much a climbing / walking / biking centre with being on the edge of the peak

ampthill

I have a love hate relationship. I have friends who run Outdoor Shops on smaller scale (Joe Browns and The Climbers Shop). They are trying to provide good prices and excellent service. So that makes me feel a bit guilty in Go Outdoors

I find the staff very helpful and quite a good range of stuff. The main plus point is you can see/feel it before buying – in many cases when you use their discount, they are about the same price as via the internet.

No they are always cheaper then the best UK internet price by 10%. That is there policy and I have used it loads. But it means constant checking on your phone whilst in Store

Here is an example. Rucksack on shelf rrp £80. Card Price £72. Find on Gaynor Sports Website £60. They beat this by 10% I paid £54. But I then feel guilty as no one can touch that

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Go Outdoors sold to JD Sports’ is closed to new replies.