Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Go Outdoors 'price promise'
  • rascal
    Free Member

Spotted the Camelbak Mule on Wiggle a few weeks ago down from a whopping £99.99 down to a palatable £39.57. To my surprise it was still there today and after hearing of Wiggle and CRC borking up some recent orders thought I’d try to the local Go Outdoors. Online price was £89.99 so I called the store to ask if they could confirm they could price match Wiggle. ‘No I cant do it over the phone, you’ll have to come in store and we can check it then’ or words to that effect from the woman I spoke to. The actual price and product wasn’t even mentioned. Fair enough I thought, so went there this afternoon and once I’d found it asked a staff member nearby if they could price match it. Incidentally it is on offer in store under their ‘WOW’ price of £80 (hardly wow at £20 off). He said something about VAT and asked who it was – I said Wiggle and he hesitated before saying they could, then he asked how much it was and then said no when I told him the Wiggle price. Apparently they never go below less than 50% off the RRP and it was already in their WOW sale (not online). “I can’t sell at that price as we buy them for more than that” was his next line to which I said “I don’t think so as Wiggle are selling them for that price and they are still making a profit on that’. I’ve bought loads of stuff from them over the years and never had a price match questioned never mind denied. My parting quip was ‘I’ll go and buy it from Wiggle then’. My initial thought was sod them. Then later I thought that I should have been told this on the phone before making a specific journey to come in store…ok, it wasn’t far at all but that’s not the point – you’d be really pissed off if you travelled some distance to be told that.
    They make big bold claims about price matching and then offering a further 10% off so I checked their T&Cs online tonight – mentions nothing about minimun/maximum discounts.
    Are they right or do I have a case for getting it at Wiggle’s price?

Rate the rant for anger/grammar/being a girl etc etc.

gavstorie
    Free Member

All Price Match Plus transactions are at the discretion of GO Outdoors.

It’s in their T&C’s

Jamie
    Free Member

There must have been a reason you didn’t just order from Wiggle? I know they have had a few isolated order mishaps, but that’s probably sorted now. Plus you didn’t have to spend time on the phone, drive out to the store etc.

Is there a hot girl working there you like maybe?

p.s 10/10 for wall ‘o text.

km79
    Free Member

That was a lot of bother to try to save £3.96.

“I don’t think so as Wiggle are selling them for that price and they are still making a profit on that’.

How do you know? Maybe they are clearing them out for one reason or another and taking a hit.

whiterabbit84
    Free Member

Did you ask Go Outdoors for the free Haribo as well?

chakaping
    Free Member

But… but… but… why didn’t you just buy it from Wiggle in the first place?

PS. You should probably have posted this on Money Saving Expert.

ampthill

I think Gooutdoors are getting a but tougher on this

I think they were wrong to mess you about but in this case i can see why they didn’t price match Wiggle. Wiggle surely paid less for them

More worryingly my sons says that they wouldn’t price match Rock and Run on climbing gear. The asked for proof that Rock and Run were VAT registered in the UK. Rock and Run are a very prominent retailer and closely linked to UKclimbing and Rockfax publishing. The idea that GoOutdoors aren’t sure they are UK based seems laughable

Jamie
    Free Member

GO are now owned by JD Sports, so probably linked to that.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks all – valid points in there – was a bit miffed at the time.
    I wanted a touchy-feely before buying which I could do there as not seen one in the flesh…GO’s is black and a few weeks ago Wiggle didn’t have black…I could have it today and not potentially getting a cocked-up order/cancellation. I didn’t do it just to save £4.
    Ironically I have just bought a black one on Wiggle. Had confirmation email…hope next isn’t a ‘sorry there’s a stock issue’ one!
    Just as an aside, I’ve noticed that the discounts are nowhere near as good as they used to be, and a few years ago TNF were sold there and seem to have been replaced by Dare2Be, North Ridge and Hi Gear…not a judgement, merely an observation.

iainc

Quite liked their stuff, and prices 5 or 6 years ago. Now find better quality and value at Decathlon for similar type items.

wilburt
    Free Member

Everyone and everything is JD sports or Pentland. Sports Direct. I went to get some new Brasher Hill masters but they are now Berghaus made in china pap.

I wouldn’t bother with any of the big store/outdoor brands. There just superspeed pipelines from sweatshops to you’re high st.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Buy the Mule from Wiggle.

Write to chief exec of Go Outdoors, if you cab be arsed, you may get a goodwill voucher

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I went to GO for a Paramo jacket which was around the £250 mark. Hill & Dale in Sowerby Bridge had it advertised for £30 less but as it wasn’t actually in stock at H&D, GO couldn’t price match.
    I ordered it from H&D anyway & saved £30. Got it within a week.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Why would you expect them to price match something that wasn’t in stock at the shop who they were price matching .

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Why would you expect them to price match something that wasn’t in stock at the shop who they were price matching .

No idea but I saved £30 anyway, just by waiting a week.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cotswold assured me they price matched when I went in. When I showed them the Meindl boots at £220 could be had for £95 at Go Outdoors the lad went a bit white (and failed to spot they only had size 15 left). But the manager honoured it, and I was very happy. So Go Outdoors did me a favour 😀

Cougar

I’m surely going to be proved wrong but IME I can’t off the top of my head think of any “price match” offer at a bricks & mortar shop that’s agreed to match with an online price unless said price was also on offer in a store within a physical radius of the one you’re in.

Dragging you into the store to be told ‘no’ is a bit crap though.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m surely going to be proved wrong

GO price match anyone plus 10%….or at least used to.

I got them to price match Outdoor GB, who are online only, for some Salomon boots. Save about £40.

Terms and Conditions

Price Match Plus is only available to GO Outdoors Discount Card holders.
    Excludes gift vouchers, gas bottles and gas refills.
    Products being price matched must be NEW and have an identical specification including brand, size and colour.
    Price Match Plus is applicable against any competitor to GO Outdoors who are a VAT registered business in the UK, including any UK websites but excluding auction sites, market stalls, private sales, liquidation sales, our own stores and websites or any typographical errors.
    This offer is valid for 7 days after purchase.
    Products must be in stock at competitor and available for immediate purchase or delivery.
    We will only match against any advertised competitor selling price which is available to any member of the public, which excludes promotional vouchers and on-line codes
    GO Outdoors must be able to verify the current offer with the competitor.
    Prices being matched must be inclusive of VAT.
    All Price Match Plus transactions are at the discretion of GO Outdoors.
    GO Outdoors reserves the right to withdraw the Price Match Plus at any time.

ampthill

When the Price match less 10% is working it is amazing

I saw i rucksack i liked. £80 retail discount card £72. Phone out and a quick google and Gaynor sports have it for £60. So they did it for £54

But you have to be so careful as the in store prices aren’t cheap. Often they need prompting just to give their own online prices

For cheap stuff I think Decathlon is better. Mrs Ampthill just got a year out of a pair of decathlon boots that were under £40 which she recons is as good as it gets value wise. (she walks for a living)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I got a sleeping mat price matched and it was done by email before I collected in store.

I wouldn’t assume wiggle were making profit on that though…huge shops will slap a low price to simply clear stock at times.

GrahamS

I’ve certainly had GO Price Match stuff just by showing them an online price on my phone.

But they are often pretty reasonably priced anyway by the time you take off the “discount” card and the Scout or NHS discount.

winston
    Free Member

And people wonder why the quality of the stuff they buy is going down and down and down

Jeez you should listen to yourselves.

luke
    Free Member

Used the price promise a few times best two were £50 off a pair of Oakley Crosshairs and £70 off a pair of FiveTen shoes both plus the 10% extra on top.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

“I can’t sell at that price as we buy them for more than that” was his next line to which I said “I don’t think so

How do you know what they buy them for 😆

If your local bike shop did price match would you try and do the same there knowing that they would be losing money on it? Or does Go outdoors being a big company make it ok 😆

swdan
    Free Member

Cougar, I got the Evans 2 minutes walk from my office in London to price match an offer on a Garmin 820 from Ribble. Did it no problems, all you have to do it take a website print out in store with you

GrahamS

What’s your solution though?

Refuse to use the Price Match offer and gladly pay more than twice the price of it elsewhere in the happy knowledge that you’re supporting your friendly local branch of JD Sports Fashion plc?

ampthill

And people wonder why the quality of the stuff they buy is going down and down and down

Jeez you should listen to yourselves.

Not sure how paying the retailer more for a product will drive up quality

My worry these days with the whole Flash Sale culture is that When a company set a retail price they set it high so that everyone can then sell it at 40% off. So when I pay full retail I feel a total mug

LeeW

That sport website used to do double the difference refund if you find kit cheaper elsewhere – can’t find it since they updated the website.

Anyway, they sell Attiq clothing, a jersey and short set is reduced from c£370 down to c£125. The manufacturer, in Poland, list the same kit as c£75.

I have emailed SP to advise them of this, they responded with thanks for the heads up but still continue to sell this kit at over inflated prices.

Often wondered if they’d honour the double difference refund if you bought some kit from them.

rascal
    Free Member

I spoke too soon.
    The dreaded Wiggle cancelled order email – never had a problem with them before – hope they sort their system ‘upgrade’ out before they piss too many people off 😐

simondbarnes

. “I can’t sell at that price as we buy them for more than that” was his next line to which I said “I don’t think so as Wiggle are selling them for that price and they are still making a profit on that’

The standard trade price is £60.97 plus vat.

winston
    Free Member

Standard trade price will be a starting price on negotiation for any large retailer. Volume, preorders,kickbacks,buybacks and promos will all dictate actual gp

None of this matters to the customer if they get a good product at a fair price.

Unfortunately speaking as a retailer this is getting harder to achieve and price matching is a contributing factor.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Go Outdoors 'price promise'’ is closed to new replies.