Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Go on – what's the best tasting bitter one can buy?!
  • crispo
    Free Member

I’m north west based and there’s some cracking ales up here

Hawkshead – Windermere Pale, Iti or Jester
    Moorhouses – Blonde Witch
    Cumbrian Legendary Ales – Loweswater Gold
    Lytham Lowther
    Lancaster Blonde
    Cross Bay – Zenith, Sunset
    Coniston – Bluebird

The list goes on and on…..

sargey

Ludlow gold

Bathams bitter

Holdens golden glow

Pz_Steve

Houns – Member
    Something from the Three Tuns or Wye Valley breweries would do me

Enjoying a Butty Bach as I type (bottled, as sadly isn’t widely available draught round here). Properly lovely.

Personally I like a Betty Stoggs more than Doom Bar or Proper Job, if you’re after a Cornish ale. And further afield I’m partial to a drop of Tanglefoot (Badgers) – again, draught please.

andy3809
    Free Member

Deception

Currently on draft at the bowling club at Rivi if you ride that way

allfankledup

Had some Hobgoblin Gold when down in the smoke last week, would go back for more given the chance

simondbarnes

There are so many fantastic ales available that it’s difficult to pick a favourite. I do have a particular soft spot for Ringwood 49er though.

ton

also i would like to add, any of the Bridestones ales. moreso when served in the New Delight at jack bridge.

dannyh
    Free Member

Current fave among the Wednesday nighters………

bamboo
    Free Member

Bathams XXX winter brew.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Another vote for canned Bengali Tiger – hoping to try the draft (sic) version in the summer during our USA road trip 😛 Lagunitas IPA is lovely too (dontcha just love ‘spoons).

Slowly working my way through my local brewery’s selection – http://www.tinyrebel.co.uk/ Fubar and Full Nelson favourites so far.

Bregante

Whilst we’re on Adnams….

john_drummer
    Free Member

Where to start… Although strictly none of these are “bitter”…

Thornbridge Jaipur
    moorhouses blond witch
    Saltaire triple chocoholic (ok, it’s a stout, not a bitter)
    Oakham inferno
    Oakham citra

I like me hops

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tiny Rebel are all of the aces, Mama! They’re a cracking bunch, making some superb beers.

And here’s the thing…..

Isn’t it wonderful that we have so many great breweries in the UK producing so much brilliant beer?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I live very near to the Bathams brewery and close to Enville

Oddly I too have lived by the Delph and down the lane from Enville. As a kid used to play in the derelict barn that barn Enville Brewery.

Dislike both.

As I said – no accounting for taste… 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Personally I like a Betty Stoggs more than Doom Bar or Proper Job

Same here. Skinners make a fine ale. St Piran’s and Ginger Tosser (fnar) also both checked out highly with my tastebuds.

Going back to Wye Valley – HPA (Hereford Pale Ale) is a reliable, worthy pale ale around these parts. Always a good backup when nothing else good on.

Midlanders might also look out for Green Pear (Malvern Hills Brewery) – a really nice green hop seasonal ale. I was fortunate to have helped brew this a few years back and the smell of all those fresh hops drying in the sun is impressive, sublime even. Which reminds me, MHB Black Pear when it is good is a stonking traditional bitter.

Ludlow gold

Bathams bitter

Holdens golden glow

^^ fantastic. My dad grew up on ‘Holden’s Golden’ – he still proclaims its greatness, and he likes a lot of bitters including Bathams.

miketually
    Free Member

Don’t make me choose!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just noticed that the “Our beers” photo on http://www.tinyrebel.co.uk/ is my old local! Was a great tap takeover, with some brilliant stuff!
    Cwtch is a joy. Hadouken was rather good, too.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of new bottled/canned beers over the last 36 weeks, thanks to Beerbods, and it’s hard to pick out a favourite. I like the most recent, because it’s brewed just over the Moray Firth from where we go on holiday.

I had a pint of Landlord bought for me in the Blue Bell in York, by one of the brewers. That was pretty special too.

As is Old Raby, in No22 in Darlington.

tiggs121
    Free Member

I’ll go for 2 of my local beers

Love the description of Ball Park Pale Ale as “recreational”.

tron
    Free Member

Landlord. No contest.

Also, for some the guys above “not lager” does not mean that it’s bitter!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Otley 01.

Ps this thread is rubbish without more pump clips/labels.

rewski
    Free Member

Not many of those are a proper bitter, nice as they are.

mefty
    Free Member

Also, for some the guys above “not lager” does not mean that it’s bitter!

+1, this thread should celebrate the greatness of the Great British pint as pulled in the Great British pub, not this craft nonsense.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Coniston Bluebird.

Thread Closed.

ton

the thing with bitter nowadays, is that it dont offer much when sat amongst the hoppy fruity delights of pales and blondes.

landlord can compete, as can reverend james.

dragon
    Free Member

Landlord
    Black Sheep
    Cairngorm Trade Winds or Gold
    Brains SA
    London Pride

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

reverend james.

Ah yes! The Reverend.

I remember one hazy morning in Afan, climbing up the start of the old Penhydd. I was green with hangover, fumes wafting from every pore as an old local rode past me (I was REALLY suffering!) and he said, “Alright, butt?”

I replied that I was suffering, a few too many pints of Reverend James the night before.

“Ah!”, he replied, barely breaking a sweat as I rolled along, “That Reverend, eh? What a [expletive deleted]!”

😀

mefty
    Free Member

the thing with bitter nowadays, is that it dont offer much when sat amongst the hoppy fruity delights of pales and blondes

They do for me because I am a session drinker, the odd one of these others is alright, but doesn’t work for proper night at the pub.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thread Closed

Dow be saft, yow cor close thread until yow’ve ackchuly bin ter the ‘Bull and Bladder’ up Brierley Bonk, on a lunchtime, an’ ad sum a’thet Bathams Best Bitter fram the pump, and then another wi’ scratchins, pork pie or a spot o’lunch fram the buffay room. Av a thaird and then a think.

Come back then an say yer piece, ayit.

ton

They do for me because I am a session drinker, the odd one of these others is alright, but doesn’t work for proper night at the pub.

mefty, you need to come on one of my trips. i will show you how i manage……. 😆

CountZero

Woodfords Wherry

Admans Ghost Ship

Hopback Summer Lightning

Exmoor Gold
    All good, as are so many others listed. I do prefer malty bitters, rather than the hoppier citrus beers, although they’re good through the warmer weather.
    There’s a brewery in That London which produces some outstanding brews, it’s the Five Point Brewery in Hackney.
    Went to a gig at Oslo, Hackney, which is right under the Hackney West tube station. Terrific range of beers, mostly London breweries, I can wholeheartedly endorse the very fine qualities of Five Points Pale, Hook Island Red, and Railway Porter.
    Hook Island Red is particularly yummy.
    http://fivepointsbrewing.co.uk

slowoldman

It’s all a matter if taste isn’t it? But no matter where I’ve been drinking I’m always pleased to get back to the Vale in Bollington for a pint of Bollington Brewery’s Dinner Ale. Nice depth of flavour without anything silly going on in there.

They also have Three Peaks on at the moment which has incredible flavour for something which is a mere 3.1%

Houns

Mm Butty Bach…

Mmmmmmm HPA

Ok if we’re mentioning our favourite beers

*goes off to get pump clip pictures*

Houns

Bloomin thirsty now!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This link very well explains both Bathams Best Bitter and the Bull and Bladder (if not the legendary lunch pies and other homemade fodder). I do concur. And some. You just have to go and try it. It’s also right by the canal (albeit up at least nine locks), so theoretically accessible by bike from everywhere in the West Midlands, or Wales, or….

http://petebrown.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/in-search-of-black-country-legend.html

DougD

Also a big fan of West berks ales (can’t beat a pint of old Tyler in the beer garden up at the bell at Aldworth)

simonhbacon
    Free Member

Amazing time to be a beer drinker.

Local, Bristol, area has over twenty breweries. Honestly, most of the stuff that they produce is damn good. And that’s just locally. …

Nominating a few favourites
    Kelham Island pale rider
    Orkney island stout
    Barbus Barbus
    Adnams Clump Sagin

Rolls off gibbering…

Bregante

Another favorite

ononeorange

Harvey’s best
    Timothy Taylor’s Landlord

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

6X – ]an old classic
    Longman Best

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Go on – what's the best tasting bitter one can buy?!’ is closed to new replies.