Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Go ape today with a wife scared of heights. Could be interesting….
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Off to Buxton go ape today as a birthday treat for the kids, (I think it was also my birthday last year at some point) obviously I had to do it too for “safety reasons” which was a pain but you know, I’ll cope. However mrs ws didn’t want to miss out so she’s in! However… she’s afraid of heights. Could be an interesting day to be fair but I’ve got upmost respect as she wants to challenge herself. Anyhow as a heads up if you’re booked in this afternoon after the 12.30 slot there might be a delay or two….

PrinceJohn

Looking forward to your I’m getting a divorce thread tonight.

wrightyson
    Free Member

If we’re not back in the house by 3.59pm ready for kick off it could well kick off 😆

jekkyl

Don’t forget to take loads of phone pics if she gets in distress, they love that.

Sandwich

Remember landscape for video, not portrait.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I feel for her. I am similarly afflcited, last time I did something similar the guide said it was obvious I loved trees as I was hugging them so tightly 😥

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Leave her in the cafe, it’s no fun if yer shittin it. Git stuck behind a guy who got the fear a few years back, sympathy only lasted about ten minutes, then it was replaced by heckling, which never helped the poor bugger.

They took about 45 mins to get him down.

Duffer
    Free Member

Being scared is kinda the point. You’re supposed to feel challenged, and take pride in overcoming that.

Have fun!

midlifecrashes

I’m a bit of a wuss with heights, don’t like looking over edges, not good on ladders for work, tall buildings give me the fear sometimes. However, I did fine on Go Ape. A good harness and the double clip system they run gives a lot of confidence, together with the general sturdiness of their kit. She might like it.

leffeboy

It’s funny stuff. You know it’s safe but logic has nothing to do with it :(. The good news is if the children are small enough your wife wont need to get on the scariest stuff.

pictonroad

Don’t do it. I saw a bloke totally lose it on go ape. Was screaming and thrashing at the guys trying to help him down. His wife was behind him and he was giving her full barrel expletives as well. As soon as he hit the ground he was fine.

As someone who gets really nervous and panicked with heights I would want to build up to go ape, not have it as a surprise.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Take a stanley knife, threaten to cut her loose if she doesn’t get a move on?

wrightyson
    Free Member

She managed to walk down from the top of oblivion at alton towers when we got stuck up there a fee years ago. Now that’s **** high. Few niggles but was actually the first one off. Think we’ll get there early have a wander round and assessment it from there. It’s only 33 quid spunked 😯

cvilla

My wife is the same, but loves the idea, slightly OT one day we were out with family in a village with a fair and it had a Ferris wheel, as we all left the cafe my wife and daughter headed outside ahead of me, when I went outside I could not see then anywhere….they had jumped onto the ferris sheel and as it was quiet the operator had stopped the wheel at the high point so they could get a view. When I spotted them I could see they were not happy (understatement) and I had to get the operator to bring them back down so they could get off!
    So good luck at least you will be roped on.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m a very proud Mr ws tonight. She absolutely smashed it. I’ve never seen anyone shake so much and still get on with it. Even the kids, son especially were super encouraging and brilliant. A great day out made all the better by absolutely brilliant staff. Go ape Buxton is a 5/5 from us

mrsfry
    Free Member

Wait till you fall asleep

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, she’ll be grabbing for the rope…… 😯

bearnecessities

Well done to Mrs WS 🙂 Let’s face it, if blokes had to push babies out, we’d probably also be able to overcome anything else.

RustySpanner

Yup, top work there.

I was a bit windy at the Buxton Go Ape too.
    Managed to lose a shoe on the net jump at the end.
    Not my finest hour.

Enjoyed it though.
    🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

We had a proper drama in front of us today which really knocked mrs ws confidence. First a lad went into the last net and fetched the skin off both his ankles when it dragged him backwards, then his mrs had a complete meltdown when she couldn’t climb the cargo net. Full whistle and assistance job to help her our.

butcher

Hmmm. I potentially have the opportunity to go to Go Ape, and equally hate heights. However, kinda like the idea of climbing about in trees and challenging myself.

However, I know I also have the tendency to think it’s a good idea until I get there and start experiencing (what I’m sure some will be familiar with) that unrecoverable fear; the complete undoing of your mental state.

I’m not sure this thread is helping.

Is it that bad?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Butcher this is how it genuinely was today.
    The wife truly struggles with height, as in can’t go up step ladders, if the kids lean out of a window, cliff top walks etc etc.
    However she was immediately made to feel Uber relaxed today. Treated exactly the same during the briefing etc, however as we were a group of 4 we were asked to let the couples go first. This was a bonus which let the guys in charge talk her through every stage of the first few climbs/obstacles etc.
    They were frankly brilliant.
    The guy who did out briefing came out with a corker when the mrs asked if the platforms got any higher telling her “no vicky, you’ve breezed the first one, they’re all prettu much the same from here but the ground is sometimes lower on the others” he stuck with us for the whole first section. What I would say though is if you have kids let someone else sign for their responsibility as that way you can worry about just what you’re doing and not anyone else.
    Enjoy…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh and at any point during the briefing, and demonstration you can still get a full refund which I think is great.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Go ape today with a wife scared of heights. Could be interesting….’ is closed to new replies.