Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • G'n R – the movie
  • Kryton57

Yes really:

It’ll be adapted from Marc Canter’s 2008 GNR biography
    Hard-rock chaos-crooners Guns N’ Roses are getting a Hollywood biopic. Adapted from Marc Canter’s 2008 GNR biography, Reckless Road: Guns N’ Roses and the Making of Appetite for Destruction, the upcoming flick will not be a documentary, but it will be “very detailed” with “no short cuts.”

Posting to GNR’s message board, Canter outlined a few details: “I do have a big say so on the script which is still being put together now but so far looking cool. I am going to see that everyone in the cast is doing their job and doing justice to the band. Since I was there, I know what the dialog was between the band for many of the events that took place. When you find out who is making the movie, you will then understand that it will be very cool. I’m proud of all the hard work that was put into this project and it’s just going to KICK ASS! In no way will it be a cheesy movie like Rock Star. There really is such a great story here that even the outtakes will be great.”

Oh, and before you ask, no, Axl Rose will not be involved. “As you all know Axl doesn’t support anything to do with the old band except playing their songs live,” confirmed Canter. Well, no surprise there.

No word yet on a release date or casting. But may we take this opportunity to suggest a few titles? How about “Make You Bleed: the Guns N’ Roses Story.” Or “Where Do We Go Now: Mullets, Metal & Mayhem.”

As a long time fan of not just the music but the personalities and back story, which as a teenager exthralled me, I’m not sure I can bring myself to watch this. I mean really, is ere anyone that could play Axl to point of actually coming across as a real Axl? Any Slash-a-like I’ve seen, and even Slash himself with his plastic stage hat is now pretty much a caricature of himself.

Surely this’ll be a car crash GnR lobotomy leading to new round of lawsuits from Axl and would be very, very hard to communicate the real GnR story in the current world of teenage One Direction based angst, and won’t serve its potential purpose to highlight and extremely influential, successful yet short lived band of the late eighties?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Would quite like to see that. Read Duff’s bio recently, was a good read, and mountain biking quite possibly saved his life too!

Kryton57

I was never a Duff fan until I read that, but he’s managed to keep the story away from all the legal BS. I don’t disagree that I’d watch it, but look at Axls character – who really could pull that almost psychopathic intelligent charm and opinionated style with a front man performance like his? I’d hate to be that Director, because that actor would need to perform and incredible job. Let’s hope Nick Cage doesn’t apply….

jimjam
    Free Member

very hard to communicate the real GnR story in the current world of teenage One Direction based angst, and won’t serve its potential purpose to highlight and extremely influential, successful yet short lived band of the late eighties?

If it’s done right, not at all. the band were absolutely massive and quite a lot of chaos about them that could translate well to the screen. if you’re out in a bar and anything from Appetite comes on everyone knows it, young and old. Especially (groan) Sweet Child o mine.

Kryton57

Really? Do you think the current teenagers of our world can relate to the grimy reality of the GnR period either with the band or socially in the UK? You average rock concert is a completely different affair these days. Anyway, work calls, later……

DezB
    Free Member

anything from Appetite comes on everyone knows it, young and old

I beg to differ. I know the 3 singles, but never heard any of the rest of the sub-Zeppelin nonsense.

ninfan
    Free Member

I presume that when its on at the cinema it will start a hour and a half after the advertised time, and they’ll mess around with the sound to make it unbearably disappointing?

MoreCashThanDash

Ninfan – *applause*

Kryton57

Why the applause, he’s just repeated the same ‘ol media print that’s been repeated for 20 years. Hardly original, or funny.

ninfan
    Free Member

yep, it’s all just media bias, my eyes and ears (and my watch) must all have been deceiving me!

Pigface
    Free Member

Dez dont be an old bore, Appetite when it cam out was amazing, might not be to your taste but sub Zepplin is ridiculous 😆

Kryton57

ninfan – Member
    yep, it’s all just media bias, my eyes and ears (and my watch) must all have been deceiving me!

I didn’t say it wasn’t true, I’ve experienced it myself. Although re the musicality, it does help to be drunk.

DezB
    Free Member

Appetite when it cam out was amazing, might not be to your taste but sub Zepplin is ridiculous

Really? Where does that wailing vocal style come from then?
    Not sure what being an “old bore” has to do with it, but no definitely not to my superb taste!

jimjam
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

Really? Do you think the current teenagers of our world can relate to the grimy reality of the GnR period either with the band or socially in the UK?

There are plenty of teenagers who aren’t into pop. Rock and metal are huge genres all over the world. They just aren’t that cool or mainstream accessible.

DezB
    I beg to differ. I know the 3 singles, but never heard any of the rest of the sub-Zeppelin nonsense.

I don’t really rate them that highly but I enjoyed a couple of their albums. But sub Zeppelin nonsense? Really? That’s the best you could come up with?

doris5000

now then, what’s all this. Appetite was one of the best rock albums of the 80s. 😮

GnR were probably complete bellends though, and that’s why i will be looking out for news of this film…

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh Dez you little munchkin 😆 so anyone who “wails” is copying Mr Plant?

jekkyl

Aren’t they known for their copious consumption of cocaine? Wonder if that’ll be in the movie.

alanf
    Free Member

Will Keith Lemon be playing Axl?

Or will they save him for the sequel?

jimjam
    Free Member

jekkyl

Aren’t they known for their copious consumption of cocaine every substance known to man? Wonder if that’ll be in the movie.

I would imagine so.

Northwind

DezB – Member

Really? Where does that wailing vocal style come from then?

Tight leather pants.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh Dez you little munchkin so anyone who “wails” is copying Mr Plant?

S’what it sounded like to me.
    Sorry, can’t help it, just hated those vocals with a passion and this was my opportunity to express it. Wouldn’t have said anything but for the “everyone knows…” comment! 🙂

binners

Coming soon to a Supermarket bargain bin near you, to be had for a quid, after only 12 people (9 of whom are presently posting on this thread) bought it on its straight-to-DVD release

😆

Kryton57

Anyone in the know would know that Axl doesn’t and didn’t wail. He has quite a deep voice, the pitch of which is changed by the sheer volume he sings at.

There’s some documenatary’s about with some Mic checks in it, and his projection & volume differential from conversation to singing the GnR songs is very pronounced and actually quite shocking. Not so pronounced now.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone in the know

In the know? People with ears you mean 😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

My first g’n’r gig at the age of 17 (as a wannabe grown up) was the scariest crowd I’ve ever been in prior or since. I genuinely couldn’t move either way. You went where the crowd decided 😯

Kryton57

jekkyl – Member
    Aren’t they known for their copious consumption of cocaine? Wonder if that’ll be in the movie.

This is half my point. That, songs recorded on pizza boxes, living in the loft of a music store, actually female orgasms taped on a hidden dictaphone by Axl (used in Rocket Queen IIRC), Slash’s near death experience… Would they even be able to get half of it throught the censors? Vis a vis a watered down rockumentary which just doesn’t do the band justice…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

So, a film about a band that did one great album, then did two good albums and then faded into parody? I remain on the fence.

Bands all borrow from the past, even zeppelin borrowed from the past, null argument.

DezB
    Free Member

null argument.

Last thing I’ll say – There is no argument! I didn’t like em. Other people did. What’s to argue?

Cougar

the pitch of which is changed by the sheer volume he sings at.

Nah, it’s because he’s running towards us.

edlong
    Free Member

but never heard any of the rest of the sub-Zeppelin nonsense

If you’ve never heard it, how do you know it’s sub-Zeppelin nonsense?

and btw there were four, not three singles off of Appetite: everyone forgets Nighttrain.

jimjam
    Free Member

Kryton57

This is half my point. That, songs recorded on pizza boxes, living in the loft of a music store, actually female orgasms taped on a hidden dictaphone by Axl (used in Rocket Queen IIRC), Slash’s near death experience… Would they even be able to get half of it throught the censors? Vis a vis a watered down rockumentary which just doesn’t do the band justice…

As far as anyone knows there’s no one attached to produce or direct, so the style of the finished product could be anything at this stage. Most of what you’ve described is standard fare for tv now, never mind film.

Kryton57

Cougar – Moderator
    the pitch of which is changed by the sheer volume he sings at.
    Nah, it’s because he’s running towards us.

That’s lost on my brain cell…

Cougar

Doppler effect.

konabunny
    Free Member

Would they even be able to get half of it throught the censors?

assuming they don’t have a time machine and aren’t intending to release it in 1957, then I think it’ll be fine

binners

So… the plot summary….

Band make some overrated music, take some drugs, boff some groupees, disappear up their own jacksy’s and spend the next 20 years calling each other names, via their lawyers?

Seems like a lot of trouble could be saved here by just watching Spinal Tap, then Some Kind of Monster in quick succession?

Or make a film of The Dirt? At least Motley Crue admit themselves that the music they made was bobbins, and they weren’t that bothered about it anyway, as it was just a route to take some drugs, and boff some groupees.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

successful yet short lived band

I’m not a huge G n R fan but loved Appetite for Destruction and some of the Use Your Illusion stuff. I’m not sure you can call them short lived though. 21 years between Appetite for Destruction in 1987 and Chinese Democracy in 2008. The latter album sold 6.5m copies worldwide which most artists would struggle to top these days.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘G'n R – the movie’ is closed to new replies.