Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gmail finding contacts
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

I am bemused and also thoroughly cross.
    Just set up a couple of Gmail addresses as my Orange one is closing. One is sort of importing. The other I have yet to try buuuuuut I checked the contacts page, thinking I was in the first account to find that my contacts list from my mobile has some how appeared here. To say that I am peeved that its done this without my specific request is like calling Hitler a minor pest. I did not ask it to do so, so its some default. I know that I haven’t looked at GMail on the phone as its as dumb as they come.
    Any way to stop this happening? I am sick and tired of this sort of crap cleverness.
    Rant over.

jb72
    Free Member

?

STATO
    Free Member

If youve not looked at Gmail on your phone then Gmail cant magically identify contacts from it. Ergo, you have linked some google account to your phone.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Why wouldn`t you want you contacts to sync between devices?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why the devil would my want phone numbers on a computer?
    No idea how as I can’t look at the web on the phone, not a smart one, and the only link is that its Orange phone number that its extracted info from, but I didn’t add that, and the other Gmail account that is currently trying to take some Emil contacts most definitely didn’t have the phone number sent to it. I did it this morning, have no idea where the phone is, (well roughly, probably one of 4 schools I teach at) and don’t even know what the number is. I’m the generation doesn’t miss a mobile. I leave it at schools over the summer holidays and have lost numbers as they are not used for 6 months.
    Oh yeah and why can’t I add a smiley any more? They have gone from the reply page.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just realised that the Gmail accounts didn’t exist in January, the last time I switched the phone on. Something to do with Orange I suspect. Grrr

Cougar

I don’t understand the question.

Presumably you have an Android phone registered to a Google account. This will automatically sync settings and contacts to the cloud (which is a Good Thing) unless you tell it not to.

If you’ve just created two new accounts, I don’t see how they’d have anything to do with your contacts on a different account?

Cougar

Why the devil would my want phone numbers on a computer?

Have you never seen any of the “my phone is lost / broken / stolen / in an alien’s rectum and I’ve lost all my contact / phone numbers / two years’ worth of selfies / the cure for cancer, please help!!1!” threads that pop up on STW every other week?

Cougar

I can’t look at the web on the phone, not a smart one, and the only link is that its Orange phone number that its extracted info from, but I didn’t add that, and the other Gmail account that is currently trying to take some Emil contacts most definitely didn’t have the phone number sent to it.

Ok, does not compute. What phone is it? Have you got some software installed on a computer somewhere, like “HTC sync” or similar?

How “not smart” is it, do you access email on the phone?

allthepies
    Free Member

You’ve been adding contacts on your phone to your google account contacts, which syncs across from phone to the cloud and therefore gmail. If you’d added the contacts to your phones contact directory instead then they wouldn’t appear in gmail.

Edit: It’s not a smart phone ? Hmmmm

mattsccm
    Free Member

Its a 10 year old Nokia that I can’t access email on.
    Might I genuinely and politely ask what the cloud is? I suspect it is some name for a built into the phone memory. I doubt I have added a contact to that phone in 5 years. Last time my wife changed her number. No gmail account until early Feb.
    Got to be Orange. Possibly the old email system has cross referenced. Ah well that’s going.
    How do I stop gmail doing such silly things? Ie talking to other places and devices? Can’t see a thing?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I give up. I have another older phone and can get a 3 sim card for bugger all. Only 4 contacts on that phone anyway. Its more the principle.

Cougar

Might I genuinely and politely ask what the cloud is?

Broadly, “the Internet.” Or if you like, “someone else’s computer.”

Possibly the old email system has cross referenced.

Could be. In isolation, what you’re describing isn’t possible, there’s surely something else in the mix here. What was the old email system?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gmail finding contacts’ is closed to new replies.