Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Gluten Free Energy Bars
  • FieldMarshall

Does anyone know of any GF energy bars.

Or can recommend a good recipe.

I used to use Torq bars, but note that they now have barley flour in the ingredients.

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t Torq do some gluten free ones as well though? They do some ‘special’ ones.

repatriot
    Free Member

I use alot of “Hammer Nutrition” products most of there stuff is GF.
    There chocolate expresso gel is my favourite.

MussEd
    Free Member

Eat Natural bars are GF…

hainman
    Free Member

holland and barret maybe do gluten free ones…

Northwind

Eat Natural, Nakd, and I think 9 Bar all have options but also are mostly rank…

OK with GF oats? Hale & Hearty flapjack bars are my preference, I’m coeliac but seem to be OK with pure oats.

traildog
    Free Member

Naked Bars are nice and they do gluten free ones. Lara bars are great but difficult to find and can get expensive. 9 Bars also gf.
    Or just make your own – dried fruit and soaked nuts. Mash together and form a bar. You can experiement yourself with flavours, add spices/ grains etc. Works out much cheaper and good fun.

FieldMarshall

Cheers for the suggestions.

Yes I am ok with Oats.

I have eaten both Nakd and 9 Bar before, but was wondering whether there were any “pukka” energy bars like Torq that were GF.

Think I might just make my own with GF oats, dried fruits, nuts etc as suggested.

jonba
    Free Member

Eat natural ones are, my dad has those.

Try popping into sainbury’s. They have a free from range that includes cakes and bars.

poly
    Free Member

Have a look at:

http://www.brawfood.co.uk

They were giving them out at a local race recently.

repatriot
    Free Member

In Australia they are much tougher on GF guide lines and to be GF it has to be less than 3ppm or less to be gluten free. Oats really aren’t GF they are just very low in gluten and even if you have no side effects you can still be doing your self some damage.

repatriot
    Free Member
    FieldMarshall

Oats really aren’t GF they are just very low in gluten

The protein in oats is different to that in barley, wheat, rye and can be tolerated by most coeliacs. The issue is that oats can be cross contaminated by other cereals.

However, GF oats are produced/handled in such a way to avoid cross contamination, so are fine.

FieldMarshall

Sorry didnt get a chance to look at the Hammer stuff earlier.

Looks good. Thanks.

repatriot
    Free Member

Didn’t want to get into any arguments either just something I read recently about oats.

Oats are not considered GF EVER! The reason is that they do contain a gluten molecule called Avenin that is not detected by standard testing, but which is dangerous to many Coeliacs. If you don’t show symptoms, you may still be doing damage – so the reasoning is that you should not have it unless you have a clear biopsy to prove no damage.

Probably why some Coeliacs react and some don’t I know I do.

Hammer stuff is brilliant for coeliacs been using it for years, also eat lots of Naked bars and 9 bars too 😀

FieldMarshall

No worries, your advice is appreciated.

Sorry, should have written….

However, GF oats are produced/handled in such a way to avoid cross contamination, so are fine for me[/u].

I dont know for sure that I am coeliac (as couldn’t cope with being on gluten long enough to have the biopsy). But my symptoms are really overt when I do have gluten and never had an issue with oats, which is why I took a gamble with the Torq bars before. Plus i rarely eat energy bars, so not really a long term issue for me.

But have a race this weekend so was looking for something to keep me going for 6 hours, as prefer eating to energy drinks/gels.

dave360

£2.65 a bar is hard to swallow. I’ll stick with Mrs Crimbles
    http://www.mrscrimbles.com/products/

Northwind

OK, on oats- Avenin isn’t a “gluten molecule”, it’s a similar protein but it’s not the same. It’s quite a common misconception though. So yes, pure oats can be 100% gluten free.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Can’t believe no mention of 9bars yet, they’re great even if you don’t need gluten free!

Northwind

I mentioned 9bar 🙁

But they’re manky! They were giving boxes away at the endurance dh last year. By about hour 5, people were dying in the gondola of exhaustion and starvation, I kept offering my free 9bar to people, they kept choosing death.

Macavity
    Free Member

Bananas

dave360

F me, 850 quid is even harder to swallow…

GaryLake
    Free Member

Northwind, I did my best skim reading and everything! They’re not manky though, carob topped original ones are lovely!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I had 9bar for the first time today and I was quite surprised at how lovely it was!
    I love the Nakd bars .. especially the orange and cocoa ones!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Gluten Free Energy Bars’ is closed to new replies.