Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Glue for metal, recommendations please.
  • suburbanreuben
    Free Member

My glove box lock barrel has sheared on my old Alfa. Unsurprisingly they are no longer manufactured, so I need to glue it back together. Contact area is snug and about 1mm by 5mm, though there is room to beef it up with an external bead.The metal is that cheap looking, dull grey aluminium.
    Has anyone any recommendations for glue to use? I was thinking superglue or araldite, though they’re a bit 20th Century and I’m assuming there’s better stuff around these days.
    Ta,

leegee

CT1

jimw
    Free Member

It will probably be a zinc alloy rather than aluminium. A small contact patch like that is not likely to be very strong whatever you use. Depending on which part has broken is it possible to make one up in brass or something similar?
    Or failing thatbis there space to get thin splints and very fine wire wrap to support the adhesive?
    Pics might help to improve advice

Cougar

Scrapyard?

(They must have plenty of Alfas… 🙂 )

jimw
    Free Member

Unless it is a pre FIAT alfa, it might be worth checking if the same barrel was used on other Fiat group cars?

CountZero

Nothing much has improved on 2-pack epoxy, although there are some designed specifically for repairing metal, like a two-component putty.
    There’s also Liquid Weld, which is supposed to be able to repair cracked engine blocks, so might be worth a look.
    Yeah, here you go:
    https://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-weld-twin-tube
    You could build it up around the barrel to support the structure.

devash
    Free Member

Another vote for 2-part epoxy (pay extra for the Araldite or Gorilla Glue versions).

CountZero

Here’s a UK supplier for JB Weld – http://www.metal-craft.co.uk/store/product?id=127&cat=52

Another vote for 2-part epoxy (pay extra for the Araldite or Gorilla Glue versions).

Having spoken to a number of knife makers about the materials they use, it appears that the cheap two-pack epoxy in the syringe-type tubes from your local Pound Shop or Wilco is every bit as good as Araldite or Gorilla, it’s the more exotic stuff like JB Weld that is worth paying more for.
    Which reminds me, I must get some JB Weld, I’ve got a couple of things need glueing properly.

prettygreenparrot

Scrapyard?

(They must have plenty of Alfas… )

😆

I’d try a cyanoacrylate first. It’ll likely fail. Then I’d try a 2-part epoxy. Mixed perfectly. It’ll likely fail.

How about using some aluminium tape and epoxy? that might give the lock barrel enough stability and the adhesive enough adhesion area.

If that fails I’d get one of those wardrobe door ‘clicky’ closers and use that to keep the glove box closed. Not sure what point there is in locking a plastic box/glove box as you can just lever it open with a spoon if you want.

Northwind

Could you drill it and pin it?

JoeG
    Free Member

JB Weld +1

molgrips
    Free Member

a) don’t bother with the lock

B) can you bodge a new lock in there? Generic ones are available.

globalti
    Free Member

Tried Ebay? Or Ebay Italy?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Glue for metal, recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.