Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Glue / BodgeTrackWorld – what's the best stuff for the job?
  • just5minutes
    Free Member

The most ham fisted people to regularly visit us parents in law have managed to knacker our shower mixer valve and I need some help finding the right glue to stick it together and make it work.

The mixer bit is a circular job a bit like this the one in the picture below. The round bit clips on to a metal spline and is fixed in place with the metal compression rod that screws in.

Once it’s clipped on, the round control spins on the spline and there’s no way of removing it save for sawing the thing off.

The problem is that the parents in law have forced the control round so that it is now loose on the spline even if the rod is screwed in tight.

To fix it I’ve been planning to basically take the rod bit out and then use the hole / move the control round the spline and inject some glue all the way round, then put the rod in, but what’s the best thing to use?

I was thinking of a polycarbonate grab adhesive injected with a mastic gun or some of the polyester gunk that builders use to glue bolts into brickwork. Is there anything stronger / more likely to work? Realistically once I’ve squirted something in I won’t be able to try anything else, so I’ve only got one chance!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

everyone
    Free Member

If in doubt: Araldite.
    (Note: I didn’t read what you put and can’t be held responsible if you glue yourself to the wall/chair/partner/animal)

trout
    Free Member

Devcon 2 ton epoxy is very good and very strong
    but dont go for the 5 minute cure version as its not as strong

just5minutes
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions – are there any glues that just squirt through one nozzle? Both of the above have two nozzles and there’s only one small hole to squirt it through…

leffeboy

If you glue it in place are you not completely screwed if you need to replace the shower mixer bits? I would be tempted to look and see if the knob is available as a replacement part

northernmatt

What leffeboy said. Assuming it’s a thermostatic shower at some point you’ll probably need to change the cartridge in it and if you’ve glued the handle on you have a knackered handle and probably concealing plate as well. If you know the make and model of the shower a new knob will be about £5-10.

just5minutes
    Free Member

there’s no way of getting the handle off due to that pi$$ poor design – the plastic round bit clips over the spline and once it’s on there’s no way of taking it off without sawing it off / smashing it off.

I won’t buy anything from victorian plumbing again – it’s terrible quality..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Glue / BodgeTrackWorld – what's the best stuff for the job?’ is closed to new replies.