Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Glucosamine sulphate?
  • GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Saw some in Holand and Barret today. Supposedly good for your bones and joints? Anyone used it and felt anything? My whole body is taking a bit of a battering at the minute so I am looking for something to ease the pain/speed up recovery.

fennerhorne
    Free Member

Yes, my Dr recommended it. But I don’t think it will speed up recovery or ease pain, just makes your joints stronger, and you’ll need to take it for a while to feel any difference but it does seem to work over time. I’d advise looking online for it, you can get it a lot cheaper.

jon1973
    Free Member

Aldi and Lidl sell it for about 1/4 of the price.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

I suffer from mild osteo- arthritis of the knees. My GP recommended I start taking glucosamine to help alleviate the pain/wear. Took it for a few months and didn’t notice a massive improvement. After 2 weeks not taking it I was in fookin’ agony and have been on it (with chondroitin) ever since. Good for synovial fluid production and helps keep cartilage, reasonably,intact.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Very little good scientific evidence that it works – lots of anecdotal evidence that it works.

Large doses are needed and you need to take it for months. Maybe because I am a sceptic it did nothing for me

bruneep

worked for me check how much is in each tablet 1000mg is lowest you need or you need to take more of the lower doses.

Get mine from here…

Biffer
    Free Member

I started taking when I had lots of problems with my knees. I hadn’t been able to ride for 3 months prior to starting, after a fortnight I was back on the bike !

I get mine from http://www.healthspan.co.uk

Toombsy
    Free Member

try http://www.zipvit.co.uk

I find them cheap and good service

also do sports gels etc

I was recommended glucsamine sulphate by physio when recovering from shoulder surgery

Verbal-Kint
    Free Member

I notice not taking it within two days when my knees get painful, so subjectively it does me good

the_lecht_rocks

keep hydrated , and have a great protein based diet + veg, fruit, nuts, natural and why bother ?

get a grip.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and have a great protein based diet

surely adults don’t need much protein – just enough to replace what rubs off ?

RepacK
    Free Member

I take it but I cldnt say whether it works or not… 😕

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – Member

keep hydrated , and have a great protein based diet + veg, fruit, nuts, natural

I do that. Well I dunno if I could be arrogant enough to call my diet great…I don’t know anyone who could apart from self righteous ****.

the_lecht_rocks why bother ?

I am in considerable pain due to my chosen pass time.

the_lecht_rocks

get a grip.

Of?

hora
    Free Member

just enough to replace what rubs off ?

oh dear oh dear 😉

I take it. I dont care, its ‘insurance’ for later years. My favourite Aunt found out recently that she has Rheumatoid and Oestaphoris Athritis (or however you spell them) 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Another convert here. Started taking it during my running days and definitely helped with recovery so have carried on with it. No creaking joints for me, oh no!

I take it with chondroitin (sp?) so around 1500mg per day, does take a few months to get into the system.

Another vote for Healthspan, good quality and much cheaper than H & B.

the_lecht_rocks

if you’re diet is balanced and correct, supplements are unnecessary…..few people have a perfect diet however (me included), but i’m no Olympian…..

hora
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks: genetics, the jarring effects of mountain biking, cold damp riding…

cinnamon_girl

Gotta disagree t_l_r.

I don’t have a perfect body cos it doesn’t work efficiently in some ways.

the_lecht_rocks

humans = carnivores.

eat what’s local and what’s specific to your climate.

hora
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks, that means I have to eat kebabs and handguns? 😕

cinnamon_girl

Some food substances interfere with the absorbtion of minerals/vitamins/nutrients. That is why I take supplements.

the_lecht_rocks

hora – how are handguns locally grown produce, in fields and cultivated ?
    like your ti456, you have no insight…..

c_girl – reduce your intolerant foodstuff and go local on diet.

cinnamon_girl

t_l_r – sorry but you are missing the point. We don’t have perfect bodies and as much as we can have a good balanced diet, it sometimes isn’t sufficient when your body is unable to process/tolerate certain foods.

the_lecht_rocks

supplements are unnecessary – research your dietary requirements and revise to suit………it’s possible if you don’t mind a bit of research and hard work……

good luck.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

humans = carnivores

humans = omnivores – we don’t have the dentition for ripping chunks off carcasses…

eat what’s local and what’s specific to your climate.

doesn’t that only work if you live where we evolved ?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I’d say it works. I had a specific joint injury due to a stupid accident in a rather more dangerous sport, and it certainly seemed to help me get over it. I also used some MSM with it. Naturally, without any sort of scientific control, you just need to believe that. I do.

For mor general battering, rather then a injury, that’s up to you. I’d be sceptical. A very good diet is your best defence.

Look out for shellfish free glucosamine if you want to A) be nice to shellfish, and B) Potentially reduce your intake of unwanted heavy metals and stuff which might have accumulated in the latter. Healthspan do one.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Mountaincarrot, I am intrigued what is this much more dangerous sport? Bear wrestling?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you just need to believe that. I do

couldn’t you believe in something cheaper ?? Doesn’t tapwater contain massive homeopathic doses of everything ?

Taff
    Free Member

I used to use it regularly, I suffer from bad knees and clicking thumbs from too many years of using thumbies. They helped sort this out but it takes a month or so to really kick in but when you come off you can feel a little stiff for a few weeks.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Cod liver oil and Glucosamine work for me it might be a placebo effect but who cares if it works

fbk
    Free Member

As mentioned in several older threads, I’m a fan. Seems to work in animals anyway.

hora
    Free Member

hora – how are handguns locally grown produce, in fields and cultivated ?
    like your ti456, you have no insight…..

Handguns and rudeboys seem to grow on trees around my area TLR. Ah are we talking about that noodly frame again? 8)

gavinski
    Free Member

although none of the supplements seem to have any proof, the argument that a good balanced diet is all you need is also flawed i think.

If an ape/monkey gets injured, it will likely die through inability to to feed etc – now although that’s not quite the same for us, the point is that the ape/monkey doesn’t need to focus on curing the injury. Either the injury is life threatening or it isn’t. so the natural diet argument is not tested in any other species apart from humans.

for us, I’d absolutely agree that a balanced diet is perfect for what we need to do – just general living. If we want to engage in physically demanding sports and recover from physical injuries then we might need to focus a bit more on repair to tissues, rather than just maintenance. Plus we want to live active lives way beyond what seem to be the natural lifespan of any comparable creature, so personally i’d like to do anything i can reasonably do to ensure that i’d able to function well into old age.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so personally i’d like to do anything i can reasonably do to ensure that i’d able to function well into old age.

but no one knows what that is, apart perhaps from laying off excess

haddock
    Free Member

Works on the dog, so properly proven in my book!

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Hi MisterGnar “Bear wrestling?”, no, I concertina’d my neck crashing my hang glider. It’s amazing how loud it is when it happens. Crushed bone noises very close up. I wouldn’t recommend it. 3 years to get 95% better.

And Simnon
    “couldn’t you believe in something cheaper ?? Doesn’t tapwater contain massive homeopathic doses of everything ?”

Ha, yes it does. – but also sadly more than homeopathic doses of many other things besides. Still, placebo is the effective basis behind much of medicine. Millions of pounds are spent by us as taxpayers on drugs which work only because people think they will.

therealhoops
    Free Member

bleddy lovely stuff innit. Don’t expect quick results. I use the granny strength stuff with chondroitin. Deffo buy online, waaaaay cheaper.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. I believe I’ll be purchasing some to keep me going. Not saying I’m an athlete by any stretch, but if you look at the diets of some elite athletes they take masses of (legal) supplements for all aspects of their diet and performance, so it won’t do joe bloggs any harm to give my diet a helping hand.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but if you look at the diets of some elite athletes they take masses of (legal) supplements for all aspects of their diet and performance

but is there any evidence that training as an athlete is good for the body in the long term ? Taking the body to its limits may require dietary supplements not required in normal life. They may well be risking harm for short term benefit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Glucosamine sulphate?’ is closed to new replies.