Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • gloworm x2 1500 first impressions
  • gixerator
    Free Member

The 600 is brighter than the 1000 setting and the 1500 has as slightly better spot than the magicshine 872 I have.

1500 does tilt to the right a bit

1500 http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff380/gixerator/glow%20worm/glo1500_zps08f5e3b2.jpg

magic http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff380/gixerator/glow%20worm/magic_zps2886d70f.jpg

z1ppy

someone stolen your second image!
    (ok moved or deleted)

gixerator
    Free Member

Its there when I click it?

rickon
    Free Member

Hmm… The setting are programmable, if you’re saying the 600 lumen setting is brighter than the 1000 then your programming is set wrong.

Its easy to fix, just double click the button when on the setting you want to change, then I’ll double flash, once that hepoens, you can click once to go up a brightness level, or hold the button down and it’ll go down a level, double click again to set the setting.

I’ve got the 1500 x2 too, and it’s a great little light, proper bright, loads of throw, very wide, and light and anything. Plus the batteries are proper good, waterproofed and high quality cells, with an indicator.

rickon
    Free Member

That image looks a bit odd too. Is the left led actually lit? Or are the optics not sitting straight? You can take the cover off with a 2.5mm Allen key, and then re-seat them, possible they got whacked around in the post….

Mine are dead straight, with a definite spot in the middle and a good flood all around, pretty central. So something is not right.

GrahamS

The 600 is brighter than the 1000 setting

Something not right there. Sure you’ve got the correct version of the manual? New version of Gloworm X2 only has Trail and Commute modes: Trail has 3 programmable levels + special, Commute has 2 levels + special.

gixerator
    Free Member

Yes it’s on the default trail. I need to point out, it’s my hand that’s pointing it to the right.

It’s not easy to keep it dead center and take pic without a stand.
    It’s also the version 3 1500. I will check the manual again, to see about brightening a level. If this works I will re post with result.

gixerator
    Free Member

Quick update, the 1000 setting was definitely reduced. I have set it for two brightness but the same three clicks (click two and three 100%) I had pressed the button for 15 seconds to reset to factory so not sure how click two was lower probably my fault. It’s easy to set up and I am happy with current setting.

Will post updated pic again if not raining tonight

jedi

the glowworm x2 is a cracking little light. my daughter uses one on her lid and a troutie hope conversion on the bars and loves them

martinxyz
    Free Member

Why did you go for this when the mtb batteries head unit is pretty much the same, it boasts 2000 lumen and it only costs £115?

neninja
    Free Member

Gixerator – hope you are sorted. Give me a ring if you want any help with programming the levels etc. If in doubt a factory reset as you have done is best.

martinxyz – Gloworm quote actual lumens, the Lumenator uses a theoretical figure which will be around 1050-1100lumens in reality.

To quote Singlespeedstu from a post in December 2012 –

I have both and like the x2 better.
    Don’t be thrown by the claims that the lumenator has more lumens.
    It doesn’t.

Since then the Gloworm X2 has been upgraded to XML2 emitters putting out an extra 300+ lumens.

z1ppy

gixer, check you privacy settings on the 2nd photo cause I still can’t see it.. can other ppl? (is it just me! 😯 )

stevede
    Free Member

I use the mtb batteries lumenator on the bars and a gloworm x2 on my helmet, both are good but the x2 is the better light imo.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Nah,not at all. 1050 down from 2000 is a bit of an underestimation. Going by comparison of a certain U.K brands’ £400 quid light from last year that was also quoted as having 2000 lumen, Out on the trail,back to back in each setting whether it be flood or how well they were lighting up tree’s in the distance, we couldn’t tell them apart (the lumenator). It’s all quite random. One of the biggest players don’t seem any different to some far eastern units, then there’s some other high priced brands that are putting out amazing floods/spots but their honest figures look crap on paper.

A high priced unit from one of the market leaders at 1000 lumen compared to a certain something costing less than half the price at 1000 lumen – there’s nothing in it (output-wise,not quality). Putting the cheap far eastern myth to bed. It’s all so random.

Another thing (not having a go at you for your pics, thanks for putting them up along with the review) but so many brands have shots of their outputs on each setting on their sites. To go buying a light based on figures and pictures is nuts.

A tripod with longer or shorter exposures can do wonders.

I’d love to see the difference between the lumenator and the glow worm. Not that I think they’d be fairly similar (even after Stu’s findings) but it would be nice to see similar head units back to back with two different figures quoted (then ask both brands who’s telling porkies ;O))

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have the 1200 X2 and an X1 on the lid – I use the X2 mostly on the medium setting.

GrahamS

road.cc have a pretty good comparison tool for lights:
    http://road.cc/content/news/97193-big-roadcc-lights-test-2013

But sadly they didn’t include the Gloworm or the Lumenator.

The 2014 MTBR shootout has some more, but they are not doing the Gloworms till round 2 🙁

2014 Mtbr Bike Lights Shootout

A tripod with longer or shorter exposures can do wonders.

For backyard beam comparisons MTBR use:

Camera: Olympus OM-D
    Setting: Full manual
    ISO: 200
    Exposure: 1.6 seconds
    Aperture: F4.0
    Focus: Manual
    White Balance: Daylight
    Quality: Jpeg High

Their old 2013 backyard round-up has the Gloworm X2 in it, though it’ll be the previous version.

They also compared “Claimed Lumen” to “Measured Lumen”:
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/2013-bike-lights-shootout-mtbr-lumen-tests

Some of the differences are ridiculous (e.g. Fluxient 4XR claimed 1600, measured 879). The Gloworm X2 (previous version) was claimed 1200, measured 1148, I can live with that.

neninja
    Free Member

martinxyz – If you are anywhere near the North East of England, I’d be really happy to meet you one night so you can compare for yourself.

After you take in to account losses from the electronics and optics plus the need to balance run times and heat management, the figure is significantly lower than the theoretical output of the emitters. Cree XML U2 emitters are just over 1000 lumens each in laboratory conditions with no losses or need to worry about heat or battery life.

Look at the 2012 MTBR test results which were independently completed in an integrating sphere and the 2 x XML based lights vary between 930-1150 lumens.
    Gloworm X2 v2 – 1148 lumens
    Gemini Duo – 1090 lumens
    Lupine Piko 3 – 928 lumens

gixerator
    Free Member

Wasn’t going to up date until tonight. But neninja had called myself to make sure all was ok and I was happy with the settings. I am very happy with this level of service and it looks like user error on the settings (me)
    I will repost a pic when dark

gixerator
    Free Member

Gloworm X2 1500 http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff380/gixerator/glow%20worm/glo1500_zps26a230e1.jpg

Magic http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff380/gixerator/glow%20worm/magic_zpsa8bfaca8.jpg

The picture is taken at 100% at 80ft back drop. I know the lighting subject raised debate.

If i’m honest an iPhone test in the garden isn’t very scientific and there are greater visual differences than the pictures portray.
    I am out on Wednesday and will give some actual trail feedback.

There is no doubt this light is a well made light with seemingly proven performance.
    Is it worth the extra money is really a personal answer on, what you value, (in monetary terms) the difference.
    There really cant be a wrong or right answer.

GrahamS

If i’m honest an iPhone test in the garden isn’t very scientific and there are greater visual differences than the pictures portray.

Yeah to be honest comparison photos on auto-exposure and auto-ISO aren’t really going to show up the differences since the camera/phone is actively working to make them identical.

You really need a camera with a full Manual mode

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘gloworm x2 1500 first impressions’ is closed to new replies.