Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Glow-worm combi boilers – any wisdom?
  • munkster
    Free Member

We’ve had three quotes for a new boiler and rads and the middle quote happens to be the plumber I am most keen on (verbal recommendations from locals went a long way) however he is a Glow-worm bloke – I can’t seem to find much love for these boilers on the web despite (am I right?) them apparently being a budget Vaillant? Seems from those I’ve had quotes off that if you ask for a less preferred (by the plumber) brand they often can’t offer as long a guarantee.

Anyone got any views on Glow-worms? It’d be a 30cxi by all accounts.

TIA as always.

munkster
    Free Member

Surely *someone* has an opinion on Glow-worm boilers? It’s a riveting topic after all!!

😉

Or has this been done before? Apologies if so…

colnagokid

Ive had a 35Ci (had to go and look) for 6 years, its never missed a beat, heats the rads up really quickly and the hot water is very hot.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I put an sxi in my dads about 6 years ago and it’s fine, thats just an cxi wIth the hot water ripped out. Have had a bit of bother with them though.

They do share some components with Vailiant, however, can’t remember seeing one that is just a rebadged version, unlike what you see with baxi/potterton/main.

jamest
    Free Member

I have a 24cxi which was in the house from new in 2005. We have never serviced it and it has been faultless until last week when it started showing a fault sign and not working. We called the glowworm tech people out and paid a fee of £200 which in the end provided us with £1000 worth of parts, most of which were 6 years worth of upgrades that have been made since out older model was new. I think we have had good service and until this point it worked fine, can’t really grumble!

munkster
    Free Member

Cool, that re-assures me a bit – thanks!

fubar
    Free Member

…but ours was a nightmare. Loads of service calls with no fix. Eventually they agreed to swap the whole boiler (which was decent) but I wasted lots of time off work with repeated service calls in the first few months.

ChrisL

My boiler is a Glow Worm but it’s an ancient back boiler thing from the 80s. After it developed a fault a few years back I went onto their support contract thing, which is managed by HomeServe. The original fault was fixed but a fault in the control circuitry that I first tried to get them to fix back in October ’09 is still not fully fixed and their complaints process is about as useless as something is possible to be.

At some point I’ll get the boiler replaced and my central heating updated. I won’t be using Glow Worm for that and any support/service contract I get at that point will not be with HomeServe.

Cougar

My boiler is a Glow Worm but it’s an ancient back boiler thing from the 80s

Hey, I thought I was the only one. Glow Worm Majorca 346N I believe.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

30 cxi here. Was in house when we bought it but less than two years old. In the last three years we’ve had maybe 5 occasions when is buggered up. Bit of a pain in the ass really as every prob we had seemed to be a common fault when I looked into it. When we replace I wouldn’t get another one

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Glow-worm combi boilers – any wisdom?’ is closed to new replies.