Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Gloves for working on your bike
  • KonaTC

Been doing a bit of maintenance on my bike and my soft office hands are suffering a bit. I remember someone suggesting mechanic gloves used by F1 teams or similar

Can anyone recommend me some suitable gloves

uplink
    Free Member

I couldn't wear them but …….

for softies 😉
    http://www.roostracing.co.uk/mechanix.php

alfabus
    Free Member

I normally have a pair of those medical style lycra gloves with my spare road tube for fixing punctures / chain issues on my commute.

Stops me having jet black hands for the day.

Maybe you could try them?

Dave

jonb
    Free Member

Bit pricy those, but do a search for PPE supliers and you come up with cheaper alternatives.

We use these at work

http://www.protecdirect.co.uk/General-Gloves/Hyflex-Glove.htm

or you could get a big box of thin nitrile gloves. hey will keep the grease off but rip if you go near anything sharp like a sprocket.

kokomojoe
    Free Member

Try your local motor factors. They should have a good range of sizes as well as a price to suit your pocket. As jonb says though they can rip if they come into contact with sharp edges

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i just use old riding gloves…

wwaswas

looking at my bikes you'd think I used these;

ourmaninthenorth

Been doing a bit of maintenance on my bike and my soft office hands are suffering a bit.

Good lord! What are you doing to a bicycle that means your hands are being damaged?

Only gloves I use are latex, but that's to avoid the filth and grease.

KonaTC

Guys

Tired the medical type gloves found they rip to easily and don’t offer any protection for my hands but ideal for out on the trail. The mechanix gloves from memory look very familiar and will do a search for PPE suppliers on the web and have a look in my local motor factors

ourmaninthenorth,

Managed to skin my knuckles replacing the bottom bracket 😳

wwaswas
    MikeG

I've been using cheap golfing gloves from chav sports, about a fiver for a pair made of very thin hard wearing vinyl and very close fitting with no nasty seams on the finger tips. Since getting them last summer I've completely rebuilt my campervan, including an engine swap serviced the other cars and the bikes and they are still fine. I have been putting a pair of latex ones on top for the really greasy jobs.
    They are better than the £20 pairs of mechanics gloves I used to use.

Pook

ourmaninthenorth

Managed to skin my knuckles replacing the bottom bracket

I see. In which case, I suggest:

😀

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

These are good:
    Beal

and they also do cheap nitrile disposables for the fiddly jobs

br
    Free Member

Hairdressing suppliers for cheap latex gloves.

http://www.sallyexpress.com/viewProduct.aspx?pid=992185

Currently 3 for the price of 2.

Sam

Trouble with latex is your hands sweat inside them and once you've had them on any length of time it's hard to get purchase on things. Mechanix gloves I find too thick to do delicate stuff. I use these.

shedfull
    Free Member

+1 for the MechanixWear gloves. They give a surprising amount of dexterity and feel when handling even small bolts, wash easily and, if you find yourself short of riding gloves, are actually damn good on the bike, too. I used to ride motorcycle enduros in the summer in them.

The Mechanix Original is all you need – the posher ones are just overkill.

Blimey! They're available through Amazon!

Ian

bruneep

hyflex gloves here as well.

bassspine
    Free Member

Latex is allergenic, rips easily and dissolves in DOT.

Park make a mechanic's glove in nitrile. Buy a box of 50 pairs.

I just use a barrier cream and MTFU, when I have my bicycle mechanic hat on.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Noooo..

Don't but the park ones. They're a **** rip off, and are fragile to boot. You can get plenty better ones elsewhere.. See my post above.

dave_aber
    Free Member

I use Ansell Hyflex ones offshore to do the fiddly stuff.

Northwind

I use them sometimes… More when I'm working on the motorbike though, because it's absolutely gopping, and covered in all sorts of horrible oil and road slime. Used to use latex, then nitrile, but I prefer vinyl ones now- they're not as thin but they just seem to suit me better, they certainly feel grippier.

sillyoldman
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Gloves for working on your bike’ is closed to new replies.