Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gloves for Reynauds Suffers
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Anyone recommend a pair of gloves for someone suffering from Reynauds? S/O suffers badly and could go with some relatively lightweight ones to wear whilst running.

Cheers!

colournoise

I have relatively mild Reynaud’s (seems to be getting worse though) and for ‘everyday’ use I wear Underarmour glove liners. Warm enough for most things and very thin and light. To be honest though might not be heavy duty enough if your partner has more severe Reynaud’s.

maccruiskeen

My GF suffers too. Whats worked best for her is mittens rather than gloves – so that your fingers are keeping each other warm rather than being insulated from each other. She’s had various wind and waterproof gloves over the years and non really do the trick but I bought her some ski mitts from TK Maxx and she wears them on the bike for probably 8 months of the year.

FuzzyWuzzy

You def want liner gloves if you want warmth (merino or silk)

project
    Free Member

Yep sufer from that as well, thing is to keep your hands moving, and wear slackly fitting gloves, hely hansen mits work great, also putting your hands under cold running water when they just give up any feeling.

Oh and for a cheap pair of gloves i got a pair of the ones for £3.99 from shell petrol stations, and they really do keep your fingers warm,and work better than the 30 quid ones another chap loaned me to try, but not very dextrous though.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

For commuting I rock Berghaus AQ gloves. They’re not bike-specific, but they’re actually much thinner in the palm than the many bike ones I’ve tried (fox antifreeze, seal skinz, endura, some others I’ve forgotten). They aren’t too bulky in general either.

For proper biking I still can’t get on with thick gloves, but I find nitrile disposables under normal riding gloves keeps the wind and rain off which makes a huge difference.

On another note, got put on Nifedipine a few weeks ago to try and help things – it’s the bomb, would recommend it for any other Reynauds sufferers!

somafunk

Another sufferer here as well, my hands are usually bloodless white throughout the winter months and freezing cold to the touch – either that or else they’re bright red and very tender, lumpy swollen joints wi chilblains…i should really move somewhere warm…..south of spain would be nice but i doubt what’s left of my overdraft would even see me as far as dover.

I’ve tried everything and the only gloves i’ve ever found to work were massive ski mittens which were so impractical to ride in that i don’t bother trying to keep them warm now – endura roubaix or windchill are all i wear but hands are still white, at least i can operate the brake levers though.

pennine
    Free Member

Another here from the ‘sufferer’ club. I really struggle in winter with cold hands and haven’t found the perfect gloves yet. The best are mitts (as mentioned above) but not great for cycling. Punctures are a real nightmare with frozen and numb fingers.

Unfortunately, don’t have an answer, but keep trying.

maccruiskeen

massive ski mittens which were so impractical to ride in that i don’t bother trying

the GF gets on fine with big mits on the bike – no probs using STIs on the road bike and uses shimano’s ever popular flippy levers on the MTB

dr_death
    Free Member

I too get really cold hands even in mild temperatures. Don’t actually have Reynaud’s just **** cold hands. Best ones I have found so far are specialized sub-zero’s with DHB merino liner gloves underneath, or pearl izumi lobsters from eons ago (I think someone else does similar ones again now). These are like mittens but with two finger spaces so you can still use the brakes and gears (great for giving a great looking two fingered salute to idiot drivers as well)

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Suffer from this too, Zippo handwarmer has been very handy in keeping my hands warm.

Not really found any gloves to be that great and just wear Thinsulate ones

Not usually into all this herbal remedy lark, but someone recommended something called Ginkgo Biloba and it did work

p7rich
    Free Member

Liners in warm gloves. A pair of these under some warm winter gloves got me through the whole of last winter…

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pearl-Izumi-Ultra-lite-Liner-Gloves_42212.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CJq6uoTts7MCFe_MtAod31gATg

brant
    Free Member

How about some Pogies?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-Bike-MTB-Flat-Bar-Pogie-Gloves-Pogies-/230565755929

I’ve used them in Alaska and could ride down to -20C with only very thin gloves on. Keeps the wind off and hands super warm and comfortable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gloves for Reynauds Suffers’ is closed to new replies.