Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gloves For Longer Rides
  • silversladey
    Free Member

Hi,
    I am starting to venture into what I would call longer rides ( over 6 hours.) I have always used a mix of 661 Raji/Comp gloves in the summer and Sealskinz/ Endura Roubaix in colder weather. I am finding that on longer rides these gloves are not comfortable enough, and I am suffering from sore hands.
    I have changed to ergon grips which are helping, but on prolonged sections of rough singletrack (multiple Cwmcarn Laps) I am still suffering sore palms and and fingers.
    So have any of you longer distance riders got any glove recommendations? Have you found a glove that offers extra comfort/padding for longer riding!

BillOddie

I have been through this…

This is what I found:
    Bike set up in terms of position on the bike is vital. Get your weight off your hands. A racey XC position isn’t the most comfy!
    Grip choice is important, I settled on ESI chunky.
    Front tyre pressure is important on a rigid bike.
    Varying hand positions when riding makes a big difference: bar ends, jones bars etc etc.
    Look for well fitting gloves with no bagginess and minimal seams.
    Take 2 sets of gloves of different designed palms to swap midride.

silversladey
    Free Member

Thanks,

Some really good ideas there,I will check my fork settings and maybe reduce my tyre pressure for Cwmcarn.

Cheers

Paul

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Grips and settings are all very valid, but I’ve also yet to find a glove that is anywhere near as good as a Troy Lee XC. Not going to be wearing anything else for a long time!

Also, try and relax your grip. Lots of people grip too hard too much of the time.

silversladey
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart, your not the 1st one to mention Troy Lee, will have to check them out

mrmo
    Free Member

either have the padding on the glove or the bar, having thick padded gloves and big grips is very uncomfortable IME

edhornby

If you are prepared to overlook the fashion prejudices of a few, try bar ends so that you can switch hand positions to avoid pressure on the same joints all the time

tang
    Free Member

Esi chunky grips are great. Maybe experiment with bar sweep or bar ends?

BillOddie

The cheaper minimalist Fox gloves are my glove of choice. That being said I haven’t tried Troy Lee’s.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gloves For Longer Rides’ is closed to new replies.