Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Gloucester, places to eat and go out
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay, so I’m arranging a hen do on the weekend of 25th July. On Saturday we are off to do Go ape at the Forest of Dean then Sunday canoeing at Symonds Yat, however we are staying in a Travelodge in Gloucester. We want to go out somewhere nice to eat and do something in the evening. Any comedy clubs? nice restaurants? Pubs? not sure about clubs! Or anywhere we should definately be avoiding!
    Cheers

IHN

Or anywhere we should definately be avoiding!

Gloucester on a Saturday night.

Get taxis to Cheltenham (which Travelodge are you staying at? Can you stay at one of the ones in ‘Nam instead?), much nicer, head for Montpellier, good choice of restaurants and bars. Other interesting, but more tucked away, places are available too.

Happy to recommend specific places if you let me know the kind of thing you’re after.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

IHN beat me to it.

Go to Cheltenham. Avoid Gloucester.

I’m happy to do a guided tour wearing arseless leather chaps, stetson, waistcoat and little else.

EDIT: Also, take the advice on staying in ‘Nam. You’ll find it easy to get a taxi over, but trying to get one out of ‘Nam on a Saturday night can be a nightmare.

Stoner
    Free Member

The Docks is supposed to be pretty good now isnt it?

(IHN how didi it go at MM then?)

lookmanohands
    Free Member

mmmm…imo avoid gloucester town if you can, cheltenham is a much better bet loads of night clubs/bars ranging from propper chavy to funky beetz. loads of resturants, pretty much suit all tastes and pockets. depending on which travelodge your staying in you can bus it (prob the no 10) and the busses run every 20 mins or so and through the night! 😀

ski
    Free Member

Think if I had the choice for a night out, I would pay the taxi fare and head over to Cheltenham.

Not sure if its still going, but google “howlers comedy club”.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

AAAAAAArrrrrrrghhhh damn my slow one finger typing…..

mrmo
    Free Member

but the docks are still in Gloucester.

Cheltenham is much nicer,

IHN

Alright ta. Got 4.5 laps in, team got 18, didn’t take it too seriously really. How the soloists do it I don’t know, they must be certifiable.

However, it’s an itch I’ve now scratched, I enjoyed it but I doubt I’d do it again.

IHN

Oh yeah, I forgot that there’s a great night bus service between ‘Nam and Glaaaaaster.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

How far is Gloucester from Cheltenham? I have no clue!!!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Only 8 or 9 miles I think but it might as well be a world away!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

if your staying at the travelodge in brockworth (the one just off M5 jnt 11a) the number 10 bus will take you all the way in or you could walk about 6-7 miles

Stoner
    Free Member

could walk about 6-7 miles

in her essex heels and boob-tube? are you mad? 🙂

IHN

How far is Gloucester from Cheltenham?

About £20-£25 in a taxi.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh there is not going to be any Essex heels and boob tubes! we are all outdoorsy activity types hence the weekend of fun go ape and canoeing stuff!! I just don’t know the area very well. I may have to find some trashy out fit for the hen to wear but nothing too bad.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

She can borrow my arse-less chaps if she wants. As long as I get them back for the guided tour in the evening (I’ll include baby-wipes).

mattsccm
    Free Member

Gloucester? Tehran? Hmmmm

I know, pass me my tea towel.
    Its a dump. Your welcome from the west is the smell of the council tip. you could stay in the Forest. We have some pretty sheep here.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Agree with a few here, head for Cheltenham or Bristol.

peteimpreza

Bristol!! Are you mad!! Might as well stay in Gloucester.

Get to Cheltenham as most have advised.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bristol!! Are you mad!! Might as well stay in Gloucester.

You could have a far better night in Brizzle than either. But given the location, ‘Nam is still the best option.

IHN

You could have a far better night in Brizzle than either.

And you’re guaranteed to see a fight. If you’re really lucky, you’ll be involved in one…

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Another vote here for cheltenham. montpellier is a nice end of town to start at.

MrOvershoot

Gloucester!!!

Run like hell, I lived & worked there for 8 years <shudder> the city that evolution forgot.
    Though if you have a thing for short blokes with moustaches and an attitude problem fill your boots.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nettles, we both know that the wrong street in ‘Nam gives you just as much a chance of a scrap as in Bristol. Or maybe I’ve just been unlucky enough to witness scraps there the last few times I’ve been. Cheltenham is the only place I’ve been hit by a girl for “not being from round ‘ere”.

Philby

Bristol is too far and expensive for a hen night if you’re staying in Gloucester.

Another vote for posh Cheltenham – loads of decent places to eat and drink in Montpelier area. Last time I went out there we went to a really relaxed club in the Montpelier area in a terrace of posh houses / offices (sorry can’t remember what it was called).

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Gloucester, places to eat and go out’ is closed to new replies.