Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Glorious weather in The Peaks!
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m just back from a Hayfield/Jacob’s Ladder/Hollins Cross/Mam Tor/Rushup/Roych Clough ride. I saw loads of other groups of riders and the weather was wonderful! It was almost dry :o)

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Saw you on the Edale valley road today, looked like a big group. I thought ‘those shorts, those legs, a camera bag, that can only be one person’ 😉

It was indeed very nice out today, we finished wih Cavedale and it was very good indeed. Not too sure about dry though as I ended up hosing the bike off again 🙁

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Been a truely fantabulous day!!!
    Mabie had “glorious” sunshine.

Simon…need to get out at Easter sometime and may want to join your group!! 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

looked like a big group

just 16 of us!

Not too sure about dry though as I ended up hosing the bike off again

I did say ‘almost’ 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simon…need to get out at Easter sometime and may want to join your group!!

by all means 🙂
    Our Easter Sunday ride is set as Swaledale, but I still have a free choice for the Saturday beginner ride if you’d care to suggest something 🙂

AndyPaice
    Free Member

The grassy bit at the top of cavedale was interesting. The ground was still part frozen with about 1-2 inchs of liquid mud on top. Not a lot of grip really but good bike control practice 🙂

will
    Free Member

sherwood pines was very dry today, wish i was in the peaks though…that is next weekends jolly.

MartynS

I was in Hayfield yesterday… hail, rain, strong winds, frankly it was bloody ‘orrible!

glad you had a good one!

Filthy
    Free Member

Was indeed very nice today, glorious clear skys. I think a load of bogtrotters came down past us on one of the climbs.

A few pics

antigee

[pendant]weather was good in The Peak District as well[/pedant]

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

well, I’m very happy you cleared that up! Does that mean what I call “The Lakes” are actually “The Lake District” ?

antigee

[old argument]The Lakes = no lakes but is The Lake District[/old argument]
    [correct usage]The Peak.[/correct usage]

gonetothehills
    Free Member

[pedant]

antigee – Member

incorrect use of the word ‘pendant’ – someting that I think is typically worn on the end of a necklace, as opposed to something that forms a corner frequented by people bashing on about inconsequential tosh (ourselves included).

[/pedant]

(hope I didn’t misuse any apostrophes or owt…)

😐

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

in that case, where is it ? All I seem to see is lots of piddling little foothills 🙁 Surely if there was only one of it we’d be able to tell ?

brakes
    Free Member

I walked up Mam Tor today, weather was amazing, wish I’d had my bike 😐

antigee

well whatever it was glorious day in The Peak[pendant]waves[/pendant] thanks – nothing like a pedant that screws up!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

lol antigee – great pic – what a sky! 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

We were up there to, nine of us from Woburn. Doing your route in reverse.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Doing your route in reverse

very wrong 🙁 We saw loads going the other way – I think the route guides send people that way, perhaps out of spite ? I’ve been up Jacob’s Ladder one time, and am unlikely ever to repeat it.

AndyP
    Free Member

Utter toss.

antigee

Utter toss.

the reasoned argument is as follows-
    The Peak District gets it name from the people that lived there – it is not a collection of peaks so it is The Peak – though it is convenient for the writers of guide books to split it into the White Peak and Dark Peak this is pretty recent.
    As to The Lakes / Lake District- it is a collection of lakes so The Lakes makes sense – though only one of them is actually called a lake.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

though only one of them is actually called a lake.

which does not stop them from being lakes

The Peak District gets it name from the people that lived there

and were they all killed ?

AndyP
    Free Member

The Peak District gets it name from the people that lived there – it is not a collection of peaks
    ie it’s not ‘The Peak’, it’s ‘The Peak District’. If you decide to miss the ‘District’ bit off the end, why can some people not decide to add an ‘s’?

antigee

why can some people not decide to add an ‘s’?

because it is common and vulgar and I’m sure the Queen wouldn’t do it

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

because it is common and vulgar

you have me to a tee 🙂

MrGreedy

Probably saw you up there at some point – 10 of us from Suffolk were doing the same route (starting and finishing in Edale). Definitely glad we weren’t going *up* Jacob’s Ladder! As you say, absolutely glorious weather – you uploaded your pics yet Simon?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you uploaded your pics yet Simon

no way, I took 700! I’ll start working on them when I get home this evening, so perhaps tomorrow…

Filthy
    Free Member

I took 700!

Did you find time to ride the bike too?
    I only took 18, probably could have taken a few more but I was too busy enjoying the ride and kept forgetting to get the camera out.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I was too busy enjoying the ride and kept forgetting to get the camera out

that only happens to me on downhills like Jacob’s Ladder :o) And even then it’s good to have the camera as an excuse to stop and gather my wits!

BadlyWiredDog

It’s a good ride both ways, why do people have to pick fights over something so obviously subjective?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It’s a good ride both ways

perhaps I’m prejudiced against the other way as I fell off on Chapel Gate and broke a finger 🙁 Though I think missing the brilliant downhills on Jacob’s Ladder, Rushup, The Roych and Coldwell Clough are also a factor…

why do people have to pick fights over something so obviously subjective?

no fight, I was easily able to resist the obvious temptation to duff up the people going the wrong way, especially the skinny blonde 🙂 And crazy-legs strongly favours the anticlockwise option.

BadlyWiredDog

I just ride it both directions. That way I don’t have to make my mind up.

Filthy
    Free Member

Chapel gate… think that was the last descent we did, managed to test my knee pads on the way down. They did the job thankfully and I only have a nice little graze on my shin instead of a smashed knee. That’ll teach me to go too fast on trails I’ve never ridden before.

Oh and do people actually manage to ride up Jacobs ladder?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Allegedly, but I don’t talk to people like that 🙁

crazy-legs

I’ve seen it done by both Nick Craig and a guy called Martin who posts on here as dibley. Both top end Elite XC’ers. It was the first time in nearly 10 years that Nick had climbed it without dabbing. As a general rule, if anyone off here claims to have ridden it in one go, no dabs, no stopping, I will be VERY sceptical. On the same day that Nick and Martin rode it, there were several other Elite level XCers there who didn’t make it up without a dab.

Filthy
    Free Member

I managed about 50 yards then decieded a nice walk was the order of the day. Although I did clear every other climb on the way round without dabbing but that jacobs ladder was something else.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

then decieded a nice walk was the order of the day.

not even all that nice with your back to the amazing view 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the piccies:
    click pic for more

higgo
    Free Member

Annoyingly only when there’s nobody around to watch me. Give me an audience and I go to pieces, often not making it to the first corner.

Antigee – how do you feel about ‘The Dark Peak’ and ‘The White Peak’? I tend to think that things (including regions) are called what people call them. Having said that, two early references* to the area use ‘The Peak’ and not ‘The Peak District’

*refs:
    De Mirabilibus Pecci (The Wonders of the Peak), Thomas Hobbes, 1636
    Gem of the Peak, William Adam, 1840

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Oh dear. Never been up or down Jacobs Ladder, but I’ve put it in that way our route tomorrow. Recon I’ll piss it without a dab, but If I don’t, I’ll go down and up untill I do!

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Glorious weather in The Peaks!’ is closed to new replies.