Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 307 total)
  • Global Warming – really, aye?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29822830

The climate is getting warmer and Arctic sea ice is melting at an alarming rate.
    But in Antarctica sea ice levels are actually increasing, and this year reached their greatest extent since records began.

CountZero

Vested interests…

MoreCashThanDash

Pulls up chair.

Changes mind, based on previous global warming threads.

Spin
    Free Member

This is why the preferred term is now climate change and not global warming.

gobuchul
    Free Member

wan – Have you a link to the information about sea ice levels?

By the way I am a flat earther and do not believe that the current climate change is caused by man. The climate is always changing.

Not saying pollution is a good thing though!

anagallis_arvensis

So what is causing the current warming then?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

gobuchul – no just what is provided in the BBC link.

a_a – how the hell would I know? I’m a physio.

Spin
    Free Member

Islamic fundamentalists.

Spin
    Free Member

Or a lack of pirates.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Islamic fundamentalists.

Muslamic rayguns surely?

anagallis_arvensis

My qurstion was for gobuchel

Spin
    Free Member

Definitely pirates:

the00
    Free Member

Extent of sea ice is quite different from volume of ice. The local extent is determined by many local and global factors, and more ice cold melt water in the sea can increase the extent… Don’t believe every headline without looking at the detail.

anagallis_arvensis

scaredypants

Islamic fundamentalists.

Shit, so the IS on the incease in the antarctic, then 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

By the way I am a flat earther…..

That’s the spirit sonny – say it with pride!

Not enough people are prepared to say openly that they reject ‘the world is round’ hypothesis.

MoreCashThanDash

Oooh, am I a flat earther then?

As I understand it, climate has always varied, different factors have affected this at various times in the planets history.

In my inexpert opinion, man’s pollution is almost certainly a contributory cause to the current situation, but it may not be the only cause, and the solution to “correcting” it may not be down to anything we can do, though that shouldn’t stop us making proper efforts to try, not pointless, knee jerk useless political token gestures.

As a species, we may be doomed, or we may adapt.

I apologise if my open-minded, inexpert opinion offends anyone on either side of this argument as the thread develops.

Edit – can I just say I believe that the Earth is probably round, though I’m not ruling out the possibility that it is just a clever bit of camera work ina huge sound stage in the middle of the desert.

Edukator
    Free Member
    scotroutes

You are 800,000 years old?

Drac

In my inexpert opinion, man’s pollution is almost certainly a contributory cause to the current situation, but it may not be the only cause, and the solution to “correcting” it may not be down to anything we can do, though that shouldn’t stop us making proper efforts to try, not pointless, knee jerk useless political token gestures.

Yeah that’s the general census of Climate Change.

MoreCashThanDash

Trolls do live a long time, mind…..

Kit
    Free Member

The BBC video explains exactly why Antarctic sea ice is increasing in a warming world, namely:

* stronger winds creating more areas of open ocean to form ice in
    * higher fresh water influx from increased melting of the Antarctic [land] ice sheet, creating greater stratification in the Southern Ocean, therefore less vertical transfer of heat from the deep ocean (i.e. the top layer of the Southern Ocean is getting colder and fresher, therefore easier to freeze)

You can read more, if you’re interested, here: http://www.skepticalscience.com/antarctica-gaining-ice-intermediate.htm

Edukator
    Free Member

I was originally going to post a graph that started in 1960 but ended up posting the video one, hence the edit, Scotroutes. Here you go:

anagallis_arvensis

Jamie
    Free Member

Naughty, George.

Sandwich

This is the problem with denying climate change, without any supporting science (I’m looking at you Lord Lawson) it’s all hot air. And contributes to the problem.

Klunk
    Free Member

you got to love the top rated comments in the wail on stuff like this (nasa reporting the hottest 6 months on record for example)

More global warming propaganda.

NASA should stick to space, not science fiction.

“Warmest SIX months”. Man, they are really grasping for a hot headline in their every more pathetic effort to keep people believing in GoreBull warming. We’ve had 18 years without any warming — CAGW is a myth — get over it.

you’re in trouble if people stop believing the experts/science/data

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Soon they will have to back feed all them big daft fans, that ought to help cool things a bit 😀

Northwind

“extent of sea ice” isn’t a very useful gauge. Imagine you’ve got an icecube in a glass- take it out, crush it, put it back in and you have a greater extent of gin and tonic ice, but no more ice. If you take ice out of the freezer and put it in the drink, you have a greater extent of sea ice but again, no more ice because there’s less in the freezer. Which is a dead clever metaphor for land ice going into the sea. But it’s something deniers focus on because it sounds compelling on paper.

molgrips
    Free Member

As I understand it, climate has always varied

Yes, lots of times, but never this quickly; never with this many people at risk; and we’ve never been in a position to do anything about it.

Re the OP, scientists also know about this, but they spent their lives studying it and it is incorporated into their body of knowledge. Do you honestly think you are cleverer than climate scientists? Or do you think that they are simply putting themselves in denial of facts so well known as to be on the BBC website? Think about what you are saying.

I’ve read several times about the possibility of more ice in Antarctica due to warmer air and.more weather bringing more snow. Antarctica could warm dramatically from -80 to -20 and it’d still snow and accumulate ice.

TheDoctor
    Free Member
    ninfan
    Free Member

you’re in trouble if people stop believing the experts/science/data

You’re in even more trouble if the data stops supporting the experts/science

Kit
    Free Member

You’re in even more trouble if the data stops supporting the experts/science

Good job that’s not happening then!

ninfan
    Free Member

Certainly is with the instrumental surface temperature record.

MoreCashThanDash

Think it depends on which data and scientists you want to be correct

In the meantime, anagallis’ cartoon up there is horribly accurate.

Kit
    Free Member

Link to the data then, and why that stops supporting the hypothesis that increased atmospheric CO2 is influencing global climate.

Northwind

ninfan – Member

Certainly is with the instrumental surface temperature record.

But not at all with sea temperature. It’s called global warming, not surface warming.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

gosh it’s a good job we’ve got you to tell us what’s up rather than scientists who know a thing or two!

ninfan
    Free Member

Oh look, the surface record has stopped showing this horrific and unprecedented warming that proves our theory.. but dont worry, we’ve come up with an entirely new measurement that does show it, and can’t be verified against any historical records… With no explanation of why it’s changed from one to the other.

Hurrah, research grants all round!

MoreCashThanDash

Meanwhile, in other news, the world fails to see the wood for the trees 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 307 total)

The topic ‘Global Warming – really, aye?’ is closed to new replies.