Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Global bike to work day today
  • lunge

Apparently it’s global bike to work day today, so did you?

I did my first bike commute to my new job, 15 miles in the morning sun, it was glorious. It’s was also somewhat enhanced as I decided to do the ride on my best bike, commuting on carbon rims and Di2 is always a treat!

whitestone
    Free Member

Yes. A lovely steady ride in the sun though I did need arm warmers and a gilet.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I hope your bike is still in one piece in the bike shed at home time. 😉

Does it count if I cycle to work, but then don’t go into work, because I’m not expected in today?

molgrips
    Free Member

I rode about 2 miles from the hotel to the office on a Glasgow city bike. Quite nice although the riverside path is busy and awkward to follow. The bikes aren’t as robust as the London ones but they are much nicer to ride on account of being about half the weight; and they are locked up with normal locks so you can lock them and leave them places without having to return them, which is nice. Also really quick to hire unlike the million clicks of tedium in London.

aP
    Free Member

I cycled my normal 5 miles into work, but I do that pretty much every work day. Do I get a badge and a breakfast now please?

prawny

I rode in because I always do, but could have easily not to be honest. Didn’t feel like it today at all. Planned to go out on my MTB before brekkie too, but couldn’t face it in the end. Just lacking motivation entirely.

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner ratbike parked up in Portman sq this morning #fulllengthmudguards

P-Jay
    Free Member

I did take my bike to work today, it’s downstairs right now.

I transported in my car, still count?

sandwicheater

It just so happens i did, and a lovely ride it’s been. May go the long way home to enjoy the lovely evening.

lunge

I hope your bike is still in one piece in the bike shed at home time.

Me too! It’s a locked shed inside a pass accessed carpark with CCTV, the bike is attached to a solid bar with a large Kryptonite lock. It’s about as secure as you can ask for I think. The old place of work I used to hide it in the office in a disused room but not got that luxury here!

Nippy this morning on the ride in mind you, arm warmers and knee warmers were used, meant to be lovely for the ride make though.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yes!
    Don’t usually commute in as I prefer to spend my efforts on the bike training, but for a one off I took the SS as its quite a climb up through town.

Was still pretty cold – was glad for the wind blocking properties of my Gabba.

Didn’t see any other bikes though, so guess bike to work day didn’t really catch on with the pie eating citizens of Dundee….

mrhoppy

All 0.8 miles, took longer to get it out from the garage at home and put it in the lock up at work than I saved over walking but Strava told me I had to.

timb34
    Free Member

Yep. Only day of the week with rain forecast so I came on the MTB to avoid slippy death roads on the way back.

Was nice to be able to cut through the woods and rag it along one of my favourite trails but a bit draggy on the roads afterwards… I’d have so much fun if I had a gravel-style bike…

yetidave
    Free Member

I have my stuff in the car to cycle in, but was too tired from cycling in the rest of the week today so didn#t, does this count? 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yep cycled in today but I pretty much always do it anyway so no big deal.

you can lock them and leave them places without having to return them

Don’t think that’s right, the bikes are supposed to be returned to official docking locations. Or do you mean while you’re still using it?

From the nextbike website

The bikes have to be returned to an official location. Block one wheel with the lock and shift the numbers. After that call the hotline again and inform us about the return location.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t think that’s right, the bikes are supposed to be returned to official docking locations. Or do you mean while you’re still using it?

Yes, whilst you’re still using it – if you want to go into a shop or something. Says so in the instructions.

Of course they have to be returned to an official location when you’re done. Otherwise no-one would ever be able to find one 🙂

dissonance

Now I remember why I was thinking of going to the office today. Ah well might do a lap of the garden

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ironically, the two main routes to get from the east of the River Itchen to Southampton city centre have less cyclists today than yesterday, despite the dry weather so far.

~53 Strava users going west and east over Itchen Bridge yesterday, so far only ~32 west and only ~8 east today.

drofluf
    Free Member

I’m working at home so went out for a ride before I started. Does that count?

scaled
    Free Member

Yep, should have listened to my legs and stayed in bed.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes and no, drive part way and cycle the last 6 or 8 miles on the canal. Done it today but had no idea it was national cycle to work day. Even if I had known, decision would have purely been down to weather, whether I could be arsed, what my work rota was on that day etc the man doesn’t tell me what to do, right on.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yep, should have listened to my legs and stayed in bed.

Wishing i’d stayed in bed.
    Only thing keeping me awake is the pain in my legs.
    Riding in the morning is so wrong

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I did indeed – first attempt at the bridleways into work. Revised route looks like it should be 75% offroad now & about 35km each way.

Did it on a CX bike & felt like my eyeballs were going to be rattled out of my skull, but it was fun nevertheless and significantly more appealing than riding on the roads.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Had no idea, but yup, rode the usual 2.5 miles in 🙂 Nice and sunny at the moment but there’s supposed to be rain later…

Simon

I did but I do most Thursdays anyway. Went over the moor on the gravel bike, was a lovely weather!

Yak

I work from home, but haven’t done any proper work yet. That means I have time to nip out for a loop, then I’ve ridden to work, right?

riddoch

Have you noticed the guy at the top of the leader board for the “challenge” on strava? 270km!!! Out and back then onto work.

tthew

I’d forgotten, I’ll upload my route from the Garmin in a bit.

Rode all the way home yesterday, so was a slightly extended ride through Delamere Forest to Chester to pick up the van this morning. Glorious weather for it at the moment.

tthew

Have you noticed the guy at the top of the leader board for the “challenge” on strava? 270km!!! Out and back then onto work.

I’m always very dubious about those leader boards on the challenges. Some of the interstellar milages that that are apparently ridden must be being done by bots or computer nerds sat in their bedrooms.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I work at home on a Thursday but as its cycle to work day I’ll cycle in to town and go to the pub instead.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m always very dubious about those leader boards on the challenges. Some of the interstellar milages that that are apparently ridden must be being done by bots or computer nerds sat in their bedrooms.

Nope, they are done round and round and round the same park in Florida

seosamh77
    Free Member

tthew – Member

I’m always very dubious about those leader boards on the challenges. Some of the interstellar milages that that are apparently ridden must be being done by bots or computer nerds sat in their bedrooms.Or they just leave their strava on after they stick the bike on their roof rack.

Amazes me that some people are able to cycle directly to and from Arran on the strava heat map. 😆

D0NK

Not ridden my commute since monday 🙁 I’m ill, sorry to let the side down.
    Dragged myself out last night to do 10miles of dusty trails and suffering for it now, worth it tho.

tomhoward

I feel for some of the people that appear to have a 200+ mile commute round trip, their work life balance must be somewhat skewed… 😕

been riding the super fast summer road bike the last couple of weeks, trying to shave the last couple of seconds required to be KOM on one segment, did it on the fat bike today for shits and gigs. Still in the top 10% (of 1200 on a flat road sprint 8) )

jeffl

Yep, although I normally try to cycle in Tue-Thu anyway. Was lovely yesterday and took the extended route home via the Peak District. Not particularly fast but a lovely ride. https://www.strava.com/activities/980162389

May have to try similar tonight.

allan23
    Free Member

Nearly did, but then the 3kg workstation laptop put me off.

I was planning to commute by bike more for this job but the laptop thing has been a sticking point. So damn big and bulky.

matts
    Free Member

Oh balls. I’ve worked from home today for a delivery. I did that last year as well. 🙄

LittleNose
    Free Member

enjoyed the ride in to work today, 90% on river / canal towpaths… it was on a cycle to work scheme funded bike too – does that count for double points?

tenfoot

I did my first bike commute to my new job

Been procrastinating on this for a few weeks now. Old job was in the country, so all country lanes and the office had a shower, plus indoor bike storage.

New place is in a town centre, the shower is currently broken, and the bike needs to be locked up to bike racks in the unsecured undercroft car park.

I have attached a Kryptonite lock to the bike racks, in anticipation that I might ride in tomorrow.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Yup, then again I ride in every day. But still, it’s nice to get the virtual trophy (Is it?) Still if the data actually helps with something to promote safer cycling I’m happy to contribute 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Global bike to work day today’ is closed to new replies.