Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glentrool Big Country
  • stevewhyte
    Free Member

Anyone done this recently?

I see there are an number of diversions and wanting to do it tomorrow.

Is it still worth doing?

Also any tips?

davy-g
    Free Member

Take plenty of water and food with ya… tis a fair old hike….. I personally haven’t gotten round to doing this stane…, I have heard it say that the descent down to Loch Trool is a good one…

RustySpanner

Brilliant route, a great day out.

Nothing technical, but some long, fast descents.
    Fair bit of tarmac linking the off road sections, but worth it for the views, specially the return leg, which is just stunning.

Take a map of the route or a photo of the mapboard at the cafe, routefinding can be a little interesting in places.

Loads of water and extra Jelly Babies a must.

If you’re still up for it afterwards, the blue routes at the trailcentre are really good fun.

Lovely place.

davy-g
    Free Member

or you can print off a route map from the 7stanes website 🙂 as maps cost £3 at the trail centres…

old_mtber
    Free Member

I’ve done this several times. Bit of quiet road between Glentrool and the impressive house at Auchinleck and then wide forest tracks all the way back to Glentrool. Several steady climbs and some fast descents. Best done on a nice sunny day for the views. The downside is that there is a massive amount of forestry work going on in the area. We have been on holiday here for 25 years now and won’t be back next year simply because of this work – its ruining the whole landscape with no thought for the tourism industry.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Yes I was looking at the web site and it seems that they have/are doing a loy of logging.

This year has been pretty bad for it. It really does scar the landscape. I guess that the price to pay for route being part of a working forrest.

I jut don’t understand why they don’t leave a line of trees , or plant nat I’ve rood along the lines of the roads and inaccessible where you see right into the cuttings. Some times they look like a nuclear wasteland.

Anyone guess how long it will take me, average ability, a bit fat, longest road ride this year 50miles. I was hoping to do it under 4hrs, hopefully closer to 3 than 4.

RustySpanner

Took us about four hours with a good few food and buzzard spotting stops.
    No point in rushing it really, not that kind of ride.

old_mtber
    Free Member

What really upset us about the logging was the sheer mess left behind and the waste – piles of logs left to rot as the contractors will only pick up a full truck load so anything less will just be left. The FC let them get away with it as well.

Basil

Went through on Wednesday , Hugh numbers off midges

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glentrool Big Country’ is closed to new replies.