• This topic has 52 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Glentress – Unrideable this weekend – where was the warning!
  • robgarrioch

Don’t know about last weekend, but the one before, when snow had just fallen with -6 degrees, was pretty interesting – thought the info up on boards at the bottom was fairly indicative. Just have to temper the riding a bit to suit, even got off a few times when self preservation took over, or grip deserted. OK, red route took nearly twice as long, and I wont be in a hurry to repeat it, but was fun all the same and the views at the top were great (lost a number of plastic bits though, thumb shifter included – lousy low temperatures!)

kennyp
    Free Member

Don’t think anyone was calling anyone else a “fairy” for not riding when it was icy. People were having a pop at the “nanny state” type attitude of “well why wasn’t there a notice saying the trails might be tricky” when all that was needed was a bit of common sense.

Lesanita2
    Free Member

Thanks for all your comments. Its always a pleasure to see comments from you all. I was expecting a little more agreement, no really I was after years on this forum. Not to worry.

I did understand the snow and Ice would be present.

I am quite prepared to take my chances in the most remote of areas in any weather.

I have lulled myself into a false sense of security with trail centres. I go there to have a day of fun under known conditions, rather than the unknown conditions the other 99% of the time. Not better or worse, just different. The one thing I (wrongly it now seems) is known conditions.

Nobody would have ridden round the black and red trails last weekend. The surprise to me was the amount of ice under the snow. I expected (wrongly) that the drainage would have dealt with the melt water.

Local knowledge would have known this. I think the website and local information on the rangers boards should have said that the trails were only passable with much walking. Falling off will occur on most descents (randomly) and that the 3 hour black route will take you at least 6 hours. Not good wording, but it would have been more accuracy.

I wouldn’t expect to sue if I fell off or the trail conditions weren’t accurate. I’m not going down that road. A lot of people will have much less experience than me and will have travelled greater distances to be disappointed.

I love trail centres, but a little more accuracy with the riding conditions is what I would like.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Brant, I’d avoid trail centres, they are full of on-one riders.

Smee
    Free Member

Lesanita2 – get a grip. The pivotal point of access situation in scotland is the right to exercise responsibility and use your own judgement. The day that the FC go out and tell you what you can and cant ride will be a sad day indeed. There was snow, and a fair amount of it – what the **** did you expect to find up there?

Stu

Lesanita2 – Can you read? Seriously this was the report on the conditions on 9th Feb (thanks to Stu_N on the first page of this thread). How much more description do you want?

Glentress – updated 9th February
    Please note: the wallride on the Essentials Free Ride trail is closed until further notice. Sorry for inconvenience.

Hub café and bike shop: Hub café and bikeshop are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays until Easter (open rest of week).

Parking restrictions: Buzzards Nest Car Park, The Red Squirrel car park and the access road to these are closed to vehicles due to snow.

Trails: all open except for Wallrides section in Freeride Park (closed until further notice for review of timber features) and Super G on Red Route – closed until 20th February for maintenance work with digger. See diversion info.

Conditions: Snow on all trails – slippy and icy. From Buzzards Nest height and upwards the depth of snow makes riding v.difficult.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm as usual some hard STW-types railing against ‘lesser’ riders. Thats what I like, bring the Pelaton/club cycling into mountain biking. Keep it up my arrogant cycling chums.

Stu

Hora, the title of the thread is

Glentress – Unrideable this weekend – where was the warning!

This is after 2 weeks of the coldest and snowy weather in years and when the description of trail conditions on the web said:

Conditions: Snow on all trails – slippy and icy. From Buzzards Nest height and upwards the depth of snow makes riding v.difficult.

As you can see above there was plenty of warning, hence the rightful flaming the OP is getting…

Woody
    Free Member

Keep it up my arrogant cycling chums.

I disagree that there is any arrogance in the above posts, just (mostly) good natured, thoroughly deserved derision in response to an inacurrate and unwarranted criticism of a Scottish trail centre.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Hora:

1. learn to spell “peloton”, please

2. accept that other people do this to be good at it, even if you don’t.

🙂

hora
    Free Member

Some good responses to my post. I do think the thread veered though, the OP could have done some prep-homework before agree but still.
    accept that other people do this to be good at it, even if you don’t.
    I do this as I enjoy riding. I’d enjoy riding at 1mph, I love riding, doesnt matter where as long as I feel like Im gliding along effortless. If I ‘did’ it to be good at it I would ride daily for upto 8hrs atime. Its fun not a competition.

Woody
    Free Member

I’d enjoy riding at 1mph

Keep practising and you’ll get there one day 😀

hora
    Free Member

Keep practising and you’ll get there one day

Depends 1mph on a 25mile ride with an epic biblical ride 😆 🙄

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Glentress – Unrideable this weekend – where was the warning!’ is closed to new replies.