• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nikk.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Glentress trail recognition.
  • ohrats
    Free Member

Does this wee un-marked bit of singletrack have a name? It runs from just before the matrix until the start of mushroom pie. Video

househusband
    Free Member

Yeah – that’s ‘Beware Tailswing’.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

No idea, but it won’t last long if everyone rides it with their back brakes locked on…..

😉

Liftman

Skids are for kids, learn some brake control 🙄

Northwind

Guess that’s what we’ll be doing at trailfairies tomorrow- resurfacing a walker’s path 😆 I think it’s part of the Hill Hike?

radoggair
    Free Member

yeah, your riding down a walkers path. Pointless last time i went down it with amount of trees down. Good fun with sharp corners in it

ohrats
    Free Member

For the record, it isn’t me riding in the video, The fella displays exactly how to wreck a trail with that kind of riding.

chickenman

Looks like they hail from somewhere Miles Better; I thought only Slightly Superior folk went to GT 😯

kcal

that takes me back chickenman 🙂

scotroutes

Worth saving for a re-post the next time somebody complains about walkers or dogs on the “bike” trails.

Northwind

It’s not exactly the same is it? Walking on a bike trail is likely to be dangerous, riding on a walking trail might be inconsiderate but you’re very unlikely to cause an accident. Unless of course you can’t ride a bike at all, like this dude, in which case you need the same safety exclusion zone as a tree harvester

It doesn’t seem to be a thing that the FC are stressed about, in any case.

scotroutes

I’ll let you read that back to yourself….

Northwind

…and?

bigjim

reads fine to me? most biking in scotland takes place on ‘walking’ trails

glasgowdan
    Free Member

These trails hold up remarkably well to skidding tyres, and if they erode down to firmer rocky rooty narrow tracks rather than smooth surfaced ones then all the better. Get rid of that pesky mud and form us some bedrock trails!

This IS one of the most boring of the unmarked trails at GT right enough.

I’ve done trails in the tweed valley area that rarely see a rear wheel rotating due to ave gradients of 35% or more.

Northwind

Good luck wearing GT trails down to bedrock, you’re going to need to skid your way through several feet of dirt in most places and then what you’ve got isn’t a trail, it’s a ditch full of water. The average glentress trail gets dug down 1-2 feet down to a base of mineral soil then built back up, but it’s incredibly rare we find bedrock, we have to do the next best thing and build our own substrate. Please don’t skid on them, it genuinely does **** them up and every day we spend fixing a shagged out trail, is a day we can’t spend doing something new and cool. (while I’m at it, please don’t shortcut or ride “faster lines” off the trail, it’s all damage)

Also, there is the trail lifecycle… Generally, we don’t like brand new trails, they’re smooth and boring, right? But the problem is, you can’t get a worn-in trailcentre trail without first having a brand new boring trail then riding it in. (*) People see a new wackerplated trail and think that’s a finished article but it’s not, it’s just the last part of the build- the finished trail comes much later.

So yes wheel pressure is needed to get the trails through to that nice evolved state, but skidding doesn’t do that- it rips it up, it doesn’t wear it in. And once you reach the “mature” trail, you want that to last as long as is possible, because once it gets to the shagged out stage, it needs dug up and rebuilt and then everyone complains about “BMX trails” again.

So it’s counterintuitive but wearing out trails fast doesn’t give you nicely worn trails, it actually gives you more smooth BMX trails more of the time.

(*OK, there is an alternative which is to build looser in the first place, but this is a short-term option, and Glentress is I think still the most ridden trailcentre in the UK so trails have to last through rain and shine for several years or they’re just not viable)

franksinatra

That is serious mincing in that video. A quality demonstration of someone who could so will some skills training.

househusband
    Free Member

That is serious mincing in that video. A quality demonstration of someone who could so will some skills training.

What video can’t really show, and what the viewer cannot appreciate, is just how steep and rough that section of trail is; it is precisely a one in sixty-three gradient and akin to aggressive cobblestone.

rOcKeTdOg

Rides like how I’d expect a STEer to ride, except he’s ruined it by being out on his bike rather than polishing it & then posting pictures of it

mactheknife

franksinatra – Member

Exactly, 🙂

chief1409
    Free Member

Looks like they hail from somewhere Miles Better; I thought only Slightly Superior folk went to GT

Definitely not from Glasgow with those accents. More like Whitburn/Bathgate area….

nikk
    Free Member

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Glentress trail recognition.’ is closed to new replies.