Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Glentress today – it's back in the game :-)
  • Stu_N

Was absolutely wicked. Riding superbly, as fast as it gets (dry but not loose), below the snowline at least (which is up about 500m or so).

Had a look at the Boundary Trail (from top of Spooky Woods, didn't try The Kipps) but was a bit, ahem, snowy.

(Taken below the mast where the trail jinks left then cuts into the trees). About 6 foot high drift over the wall on the edge of the trees and the rise in the distance should have some trail on it as well but is also under a lot of snow.

First bit where the boundary trail dives into the trees. Basically looks like snow drifting in from the open hillside and making cool flutey patterns in the trees. Not so good for riding. Might need to leave that bit for another couple of weeks or so.

Decided Boundary was more hassle than worth so retreated to top of Spooky Woods and took some natural trails down (in really good nick) and cut across to Deliverance and back via Freeride. Everything below spooky woods was riding brilliantly, not sure about the woods of Spook themselves as didn't do that bit.

A most excellent day.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Was there yesterday trailbuilding and looking forward to getting back for a proper ride. Way the weather has been and trails everywhere are starting to get pretty dry.

Northwind

Yep, trails were running fantastic, we didn't go all that high (up to the meteorite then along to an off-piste bit) but even that was pretty nice, slidy but rideable. The surfaced trails are as good as I can remember them being, right up until the point I tree'd myself :mrgreen:

Kit
    Free Member

Innerleithen was completely snow free today 🙂

DaddyFool
    Free Member

Spooky climb/descent in near perfect nick today. What a difference a week makes. The fenced-off jumps at the top of Spooky are now repaired and open. Trails are nice and quick and pretty dry in the main. Not been like this since December……welcome back GT. 🙂

Diane
    Free Member

Was rather busy 🙂

ShoePolice
    Free Member

Went for a spin this afternoon. Late afternoon's are best to avoid the crowds and get dappling evening sun through the trees 🙂

Prophet2
    Free Member

Was up at GT this afternoon doing the Red with Prophet2 Jr, trails were nice and dry, even the climb to the Matrix was open.

First time I had been there on a Sunday afternoon, I'm usually finished by 11amish. Was distrubing to see so many "Sunday bikers" who like to do skids instead of controlled braking. Even Jr at 10 years commented on how bad some bike riders were. Good to see so many at GT though. Top panini at THe Hub as well.

Johnbot
    Free Member

DaddyFool – Member

Spooky climb/descent in near perfect nick today. What a difference a week makes. The fenced-off jumps at the top of Spooky are now repaired and open.

What have they done to the jumps? I used to like their akwardness

Northwind

Johnbot, the run-out from some of the jumps has been worked on so that if you come up short you're not landing on lumpy rocks. Should be nicer for jumping since people won't be worrying about what they're jumping over, but probably a bit more boring to roll. Psychology, basically 😉 To stop people approaching the jumps then skidding at the last second as they see what's coming.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I was there on saturday and did the black to the top of the mast. Big mistake!! It was a push through the snow from just below the hut to the mast. The mast climb was the worst – i kept sinking into the snow and it was almost knee deep at points 😡 i tried to climb a couple of times on the way to the mast, and fell off (landing i might add, in the only puddle around for miles!!). I decided i'd had enough by that point and retreated down to spooky wood (which i then had to do three times to put the smile back on my face after the snow hike a bike!). Was nice to have some dry, fast trails again 8)

Stu_N

Clare – I wondered if anyone would have tried the Kipps. I was tempted as it seemed so nice at Buzzards' Nest level, but I thought it was a bit of a punt too far so headed for Boundary instead. Seems like it was a (relatively) wise decision!

Deliverance was awesome on Sunday, really really fast with a few new rockgardens to add to the entertainment. Well worth lugging the big bike about for that.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Hmm, i wish i'd opted for deliverance now! I toyed with the idea going up the red and then onto deliverance, since i knew it'd be okay lower down, but really wanted to do the black climb. There was only three other people on the black – one beating a hasting retreat back down kipps when the snow started to appear (wise man!) – so seems most people opted to give it a miss.

What are the rock gardens like/how big?

kennyp
    Free Member

What are the rock gardens like/how big?

Not huge. More like loads of loose rocks scattered all over the trail. Not sure I'd really call them rock gardens.

We rode GT for the first time for quite a while on Saturday. Did the red to the bottom of Spooky Wood, then Electric Blue and onto Deliverance and Redemption. Deliverance was great fun (I don't ride it very often), but beware the overhanging brances of a tree near the bottom bridge. One of the branches is a good bit thicker than the others and will give you quite a thump when you ride into it.

Oh, and that was my first time on Electric Blue in ages too. What a cracking wee piece of trail that is.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Glentress today – it's back in the game :-)’ is closed to new replies.