Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Glentress Seven entries open
  • Northwind

Probably everyone that needs to know about this will already know, but just in case, that’s the GT7 earlybird entries open. It sold out ridiculously far in advance last year so I guess it’ll be the same this year.

Me back in solos but probably not on the fatbike this year, doing all pro XC racer and shit- I have a hideous no-name carbon xc frame I got off ebay for £80 that I can put the wheels from my hybrid in 😆 Proper.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers, I’d have missed this otherwise…nice warm up for 10UTB…

lotto
    Free Member

Hmmm. Etape Caledonia the weekend before. Bugger. Wonder if I have the legs for both. 😕

fifeandy
    Free Member

@cynic-al

Not a warm-up for 10UTB i think. Pretty sure i read 10UTB is being moved to an April time slot.

Still a bit undecided on GT7 for next year – very much enjoyed it this year, but always have the nagging feeling it’ll be absolute carnage if its wet.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Crackin i need more photos of me falling off.

radoggair
    Free Member

better sort my beard out this year then

Northwind

fifeandy – Member

Still a bit undecided on GT7 for next year – very much enjoyed it this year, but always have the nagging feeling it’ll be absolute carnage if its wet.

I think it was the first year that turned into winter halfway through, it was comically brutal- I was on my rigid with some daft fast tyres on, I crashed about 5 times in a 100 metre section which, annoyingly, I’d helped build 😆 But they don’t use that bit any more. I remember hearing about someone crashing and staggering off into the woods, borderline hypothermic.

The track’s pretty solid, it’d be skitey in the wet but there’s not much of it that’d go orrible I think. Most of the climbing being on hard stuff helps!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

no earlybird discount code this year, chaps?

br
    Free Member

True, but I’ve done it the last 4 years and it’s been glorious weather each time.

#cursedtheevent 🙂

moonsaballoon

I’m in solo for the 3rd year in a row . Managed 5 laps first time with being honest a few to many cake stops , 6 last year and using next year as the target to be a couple of stone lighter and hopefully knock of 7 .
    anyone not sure about it get it entered , it’s a great day and worth it for the last downhill alone

myopic
    Free Member

I’m in again. Registered last week on the day entries opened and was surprised at the number of entrants already in there!

speedstar

Oh dear. What have I done. I just entered this. I’m not even doing much mountain biking currently. Will my Blur be appropriate for this or should I get a HT?

moonsaballoon

Blur would be fine , i did it last year on my bird aeris , just put some faster rolling tyres on .

speedstar

Awesome thanks MB! WHAT tyres would you recommend? Have nobby nics. Or more slick?

fifeandy
    Free Member

@speedstar, any bike would be suitable.
    100mm XC bike (HT or FS) will be the fastest, and probably worth several minutes per lap, but if you are mostly in it for fun a ‘bigger’ bike will certainly make the descents more enjoyable.

Similar to bikes, tyres are mostly a faster is better scenario, but if not bone dry can make the descents quite sketchy. Your Nic on the front with something faster on the rear would be a sensible choice.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Singlespeed again for me this year.

speedstar

Thanks Andy. Something like a Rocket Ron maybe? Saw one at the bike jumble in Glasgow on Saturday but didn’t pick it up. Now thinking I should have! The info says to be competent at reds so i’m assuming it’s not overly technical?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yes, a Ron on the rear would be perfect.

Only one section that could really be described as technical, and you could walk it in ~30s if needed, so not worth taking into account as far as tyres/bike concerned.

For the rest, probably ‘tricky’ is a better description than technical, lots of narrow, sloping, rooty singletrack on the descents.

richmtb

Signed up too.

Did it last year on a 29er HT with HRII on the front and Ikon on the back but it was bone dry

A full sus would make the descents on the later laps a lot more comfortable and more fun in general.

Its a really great course though. There isn’t an inch of fireroad descending and a good mix of fireroad and singletrack on the climb.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Am in, as a pair – will be on my 150mmFS 😀 bike with the same tyres I always use HRII and HR.

Northwind

speedstar – Member

Awesome thanks MB! WHAT tyres would you recommend? Have nobby nics. Or more slick?

4.8 Jumbo Jim on the front, 4.0 on the back for lightness.

moonsaballoon

Last year i had a hr2 on the front and an ardent race on the back . The course is mostly trail center based so you dont need anything over the top . Its not overly technical but you do always seem to be going up or down so n0 real places to rest but the downs are well worth the ups .

speedstar

Or should I buy a fatbike Northwind?! Sounding more reasonable all the time.

Really looking forward to this now and is excellent training for Alpine riding. Anyone riding tomorrow Innerleithen/Glentress way? Going to be out early to get a ride in before the dentist in the afternoon..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Seven entries open’ is closed to new replies.