Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Glentress Rubbish!!
  • athgray
    Free Member

I have only been biking for a couple of months and have seriously got the bug. I am lucky enough to stay close to terrific Glentress. It is disheartening however to get to the top of Spooky Wood with great views of the Tweed Valley, and be surrounded by other peoples sandwich wrappers, plastic bottles and inner tubes.

To the lazy idiots out there, if you could be arsed taking this stuff up the hill do us all a favour and take it back down again!!

Neil-F
    Free Member

I wholeheartedly completely and utterly agree. 👿
    Bastards!

falkirk-mark

Totally agree, I was up there yesterday and saw the sandwich boxes and thought FFS if someone can take it up when it has a sarnie in it how can they not take it down when its empty?
    MUPPETS

phatstanley
    Free Member

outta curiosity, did you folks pick up the stuff you found?
    fwiw, i’m with ya on the charges of ‘numpty’ being laid upon the perps….

mboy
    Free Member

Sadly, it’s not unique to Glentress either.

Always amazes me how anyone can throw rubbish into the countryside when it doesn’t decay naturally. I’ll throw apple cores, or banana skins into the hedges of course, because a week later they’ve mulched into the earth and are providing valuable nutrients to the surrounding plant life etc. But sandwich wrappers, drinks bottles etc?

Maybe it’s just cos I was brought up in the country, to respect the countryside, I don’t know. But amazes me that people who enjoy the same hobby as me can treat the countryside they ride on in the way they do…

Mark78
    Free Member

No idea if it’s actually true or not, but used to throw banana skins in hedges too thinking they would decay away. Until I was told that they don’t decay that well in the UK as we don’t have the bacteria to break them down, now I take them home and bin them.

neninja
    Free Member

Banana skins degradation depends on where they are. On Scottish and Lakeland mountain sides it can take 1-3 years as do Orange skins at that altitude.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Posting on here is almost pointless though.

What might actually make a difference is to bag some of it and hoick it out or to sit up there and hector those who actually do the littering.

Best of luck with that like 😎

James_F
    Free Member

At the bench at Glentress before Spooky Woody climb I found a pair of padded lycra innershorts abandoned on the table. Bit odd

rickmeister

Yep, its bad. As is the other hardy perennial of ripping up the road in cars leaving a plume of dust. Its 15mph or less…

chugg08

Mad…they go to a place because its unspoilt and then they spoil it

Same issue on the east coast around Gullane and Yellowcraigs – 99% of the year its great biking and running country, but after a couple of days of good weather it resembles a landfill (note we only get about 3 days of sun a year…)

AlasdairMc

rickmeister – Member
    Yep, its bad. As is the other hardy perennial of ripping up the road in cars leaving a plume of dust. Its 15mph or less…

The simple solution is to close the upper car park. There’s a perfectly good climb up to Buzzard’s Nest, it’s only the parents of the freeride kids that tend to drive all the way up.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Banana skins degradation depends on where they are. On Scottish and Lakeland mountain sides it can take 1-3 years as do Orange skins at that altitude

Wondered how long it would take. Just a bit disappointed it wasn’t TJ.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t think you are in a position to complain unless you do more than post up on internet fora about it.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

At the bench at Glentress before Spooky Woody climb I found a pair of padded lycra innershorts abandoned on the table. Bit odd

I reckon they must have had something suspect in them…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

I don’t think you are in a position to complain unless you do more than post up on internet fora about it.

Ok i will bite, like what then dumbass?

chugg08

cynic-al – Member

I don’t think you are in a position to complain unless you do more than post up on internet fora about it

Not sure I follow your logic. Is it better to sit silent and accept the failings? Surely this only leads to a further decline. Sooner or later they’ll be taking your lunch money off you…

However, accepting your opinion, I am in a position to complain.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

YEP

anyway, I can feel an arguement coming out of a perfectly reasonable OP, but ****, when did that ever stop anyone.

no – i think it’s good they drop litter

MSP

Banana skins degradation depends on where they are. On Scottish and Lakeland mountain sides it can take 1-3 years as do Orange skins at that altitude.

They degrade faster than that in my kitchen, so I reckon that’s BS, and even if its not, as unsightly as they maybe, still better than landfill in the long term.

slackin101
    Free Member

neninja

^^ what he said, read an article recently about banana skins littering the scottish highlands because people think they’ll degrade but it takes years.

falkirk-mark

I was not going to lift it (bacteria and suchlike and then put it in my camelback) If I saw the numbnut he would have been told he was a numbnut so what should I have done?

slackin101
    Free Member

from the bbc:

KonaTC

Banana skins degrade quicker than plastic bottles

Fact

13thfloormonk

Its just kids, places like Spooky Woods or my old local DH/freeridey stuff attracts kids, and they haven’t learned to respect the place, cue piles of litter.

I don’t think people go to Glentress because its unspoilt, they go because somebody’s driven a digger through it and left a load of jumps behind.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh you is trolled INNIT!

Seriously though I appreciate the OP’s point but I doubt the litter-dropping scum are on here, try south-east DH forums.

chugg08

I don’t think people go to Glentress because its unspoilt, they go because somebody’s driven a digger through it and left a load of jumps behind.

Tis a fair point ‘monk. I was “speaking” generally but I take your point… 😀

GlitterGary
    Free Member

This happens in nearly every wood I’ve been to.

Some people are idiots.

mboy
    Free Member

I feel a bit guilty to have started a row about Banana skins now! 😳

13thfloormonk

I was “speaking” generally

Yeah, I know plenty of properly unspoilt spots that have been ruined by poo-baggers, but thats an entirely different argument thats been done to death elsewhere..

*blood already beginning to boil at thought of poo-bags hanging in the breeze…. 👿 *

chugg08

poo-bags hanging in the breeze

Never quite understood that. Don’t want someone to stand in this so I’ll bag it up and hang it in a tree…

How long does it take a poo to bio degrade? Someone will have the stats at hand…

angryratio
    Free Member

Was there today.
    And the tennents cans at the top of Spookey and sweet wrappers make me sick.

Not hard to carry it in your rad camelbak.

mcnik
    Free Member

Was there last night, sandwich cartons and innertube littering the top, looks a total effing mess…

cynic-al – try south-east DH forums.

Not to want to create / play into stereotypes, but the tube was a muckle great DH tube that was heavier than an XC tyre!

Northwind

AlasdairMc – Member

The simple solution is to close the upper car park. There’s a perfectly good climb up to Buzzard’s Nest, it’s only the parents of the freeride kids that tend to drive all the way up.

Uh, and loads of families using the green.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Hoogerland again I expect

AlasdairMc

Fair point Northwind, I’d forgotten about the green.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Rubbish!!’ is closed to new replies.