Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • glentress red?
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

Morning folks. Thinking about heading up to do the red at glentress this weekend. Just wondering if anyone has done it.. is it sketchy, steep etc?

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

No.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Have a look on YouTube, loads of footage. There’s nothing particularly extreme on it, but how sketchy/steep you find it is down to your level more than anyone else. It’s a different trail if you pin it than if you cruise, but it’s designed to be ridden fast.

ks562
    Free Member

Wouldn’t describe it as particularly sketchy or steep. Spooky Wood is a swoopy bermed jump fest, which continues down Hit-Squad and Super Gee which gets a tad steeper in places. There is some fun slightly muddier sections through Pie Run and the Matrixx. Overall it is a proper graded red trail. I’ve taken my none biking friends down it fine before. Also if you’re looking for more techy stuff you can link in sections of the black or the hand built trails too. Equally if you’re looking for something mellower sections of the blue (berm baby into electric blue) are equally fantastic!

matt_outandabout

The epitome of trail centre red – challenging at speed (Spooky woods and Hit Squad) and a few awkward / testy bits (Pie Run), but doable for anyone with even a tiny bit of riding.
    My kids have been battering down it since about 8 years old….yet still find it a challenge and intimidating in places.
    The blues are even better there IMO, and having just explored the black, that is red for 99% of the distance – seems the grading is because of distance and a few awkward steps (we walked them).

jonba
    Free Member

I would say it is fine for anyone with a half decent ability to ride a bike. Go slow and it is relatively easy, go flat out and it gets trickier. I took my wife round it when she had only just started mtbing. Everything (that I remember) is rollable or there is a chicken run and there are no nasty surprises. I don’t remember much being steep or sketchy.

Pick up or print off a map a it is possible to ride back round and repeat sections if you want another go and as above the blue is really awesome. Berm baby Berm just makes me smile (and hum the song by Ash). Be careful on the blue as while it is good for fast riding it is also used by novices who may not be going fast and may not be keen on being badly overtaken.

Bits of the red were closed which makes it short. There are options from Buzzards nest so it is worth riding back up from the café to repeat bits around there or play on the bike park bit (not all scary Gnar).

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Only closed bit is Pennels Vennel. I’d suggest riding up to the top car park then follow the red climb to blue velvet. Come down that and berm baby berm back to the top car park then follow the blue climb until it meets back up with the red climb.

scotroutes

I was back there last Friday – first time in years. Shame Pennels Vennel is closed as I used to enjoy the descent and climb back out. Pie Run seems to have been tamed a bit or my riding is better. I used to hate it 🙂

It was a lot less busy than I was expecting, especially with it being holiday time.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replys folks. Ive just realised that I actually meant to put GLENCOE RED. dohhh..

scotroutes

Somebody needs a good slapping!

jamesmio
    Free Member

Ive just realised that I actually meant to put GLENCOE RED

Tssk!!

We did a Glencoe Red / Fort William Red double-whammy a few weeks back and yes, it’s rough (like riding on the moon in places). But, once we’d got the first couple of runs under the belt, it was ace – really good fun.

There’s a couple of point & hang on for dear life spots, but all in all we enjoyed it, and will defo be back.

Nevis Red was just as enjoyable, but not as rough. Probably about as technically challenging in places but two wholly different trails.

wheeleeneelee
    Free Member

Both tracks at Glencoe have had a lot of work done to them this year and are hugely improved. Red still rough in a few places but good fun and not steep.

This (and other headcam stuff online) from the SDA at Glencoe this year might help give you an idea…

Great uplift – you’ll be up and down in 20 minutes.

wheeleeneelee
    Free Member

Here’s a headcam …

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘glentress red?’ is closed to new replies.