Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Glentress. Icy?
  • rj
    Free Member

Probably going to head up on Saturday unless it’s like a skating rink. Anyone been up recently who would care to enlighten me?

Stu

Lots of snow around last night starting about the bottom of spooky wood climb. Fairly grippy though and not much ice around. Seriously wet further down so it will depend how cold it is on Friday night as to the ice situation.

Edit: Forgot to say it was immense fun! Also even if it is icy there are plenty of other routes nearby that will be fine (take a look at the peebles route guide)

hora
    Free Member

I rode it a few weeks ago when there was snow (with ice underneath). A few other STW’ers on here mentioned that weekend was ‘interesting’ (in a positive way) but TBH I found it trying and slightly worrying as I had constant two-wheel slides. Its not worth ruining the fitness that your building up is it by breaking yourself now IMO.

rj
    Free Member

FWIW the Met Office reckon it’ll be pretty cold tomorrow night. Hora, I was there that weekend and ended up chucking my bike in a bush and refusing to play any more, hence the question.

Smee
    Free Member

It’s fine.

Stu_N

Hora – it’s snowed, gone and snowed again since you’ve been there.

GT was absolutely ace last night, best night ride of the winter for me (with the Pikey Soul which rocks!).

Did Blue + Deliverence/ Redemption. Scattering of snow above Buzzard’s Nest level, inch or so by the bottom of Spooky Woods (we didn’t go any higher than that). The first bit of Deliverence was quite interesting/ alarming as it’s a bit off camber (not that you normally notice!) and with a couple of inches of slush on it there wasn’t a lot of grip, but the rest of our route was fine. Pretty warm today so I guess the thaw will continue.

As Stu says, if it freezes overnight then there’s a good chance it will be icy first thing but wasn’t really any ice around last night, just slushy snow and not deep enough to be a problem.

rj
    Free Member

Ah, jolly good. Saturday it is then.

druidh
    Free Member

Quite a bit of snow on Monday – 2″ or so by the mast level.

Glentress "white"

Swello
    Free Member

Druidh – Were you walking round GT Black??

druidh
    Free Member

Hola! Swello.. you found your way back here then…

PJ and I were, indeed, out for a short stroll on Monday, taking in some of the lesser known corners of GT. Very pleasant it was too.

Stu

That’s hardly a lesser known corner of GT in your photo though… 😉

druidh
    Free Member

😆 Good point! Interesting to walk around though – all sorts of little trails to be found away from the Red/Black/Blue……

hora
    Free Member

I found in the shelter of the trees some water had run into the corners etc then froze. I wouldnt explain coming across that at speed as interesting!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Glentress. Icy?’ is closed to new replies.