Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Glentress = Good / Glentress = Bad
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

I live in Peebles and have known for a very long time that Glentress is pretty much the centre of the Universe.
    I was out on Saturday with my 4 year old son on his tagalong (great training must recommend it, its like riding a 50lb downhill bike uphill with particularly twitchy steering 🙂 ), never seen Glentress busier, the climb up to buzzards nest was like the M25. Good banter, loads of people speaking to my son, and laughing at the daft c*nt doing the climb with a tag along, ie me 🙂

……..However, to the 2 c*nts who came hammering up passing everybody on their freeride bikes 2 points –
    1. f*ck off to Innerleithen if you're so hardcore
    2. When you passed us on a narrow corner you almost clipped the tagalong, if you had knocked my son off, I would have ripped your f*cking head off… no I really would 😈

Anyway rant over i feel much better for that 🙂
    I know you get **** everywhere and to be honest there was a lot of really cool people about on Saturday and it was great to see the wigwams getting built something which can only be good for Glentress.

Smee
    Free Member

I know that feeling well. But 2 kids in a trailer is better than one on a tag along. 😉

Kramer
    Free Member

What are the wigwams?

I've mostly found Glentress to be friendly, but there are a few wannabes around, usually little boys (if not on the outside) with something to prove with their 'don't get in the way of my flow' attitude. Agreed that more than a few of them should MTFU and stop sessioning spooky woods in full body armour and try Inners instead.

GW
    Free Member

do you really expect them to be on here? 😕

oh.. and get the lazy little bugger to pedal, they're more like tandems than DH bikes and fly up the hills if you encourage them to put some effort in.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Goan – 2 kids in a trailer!!! that is hardcore! which routes do you do with that? on saturday we did the blue twice from the 7 stanes car park ( only as far down as the ponds on the second loop) then the blue descent then good game, admiral, short climb and rejoined the red at red squirrell then down to the hub.
    Kramer – the wigwams are being built across from where all the building is going on, in the field which is sort of beside the falla brae descent.
    Its a local farmer Ian Ritchie who is doing them, he has been trying to get permission for years, good on him I say!
    Apart from the dicks on their stupid un-necessary bikes Glentress had the best vibe about it Ive felt for years.
    There is something sweet about keeping up with some full on body armoured up rad dudes on a descent when you are with a tagalong 😀

Smee
    Free Member

I tend to take then up the fire road to the buzzards nest then do the green, bits of the blue and play about on the blue freeride before taking them up to the bottom of the spooky woods climb and back down that way. The width of the trailer means its a pain to take it on the narrower stuff.

I think it is hilarious when at the top of the blue freeride you have to force your way past mincers, who are debating whether or not they can ride it.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Goan – give it a go on the blue climb which starts from the fire road just down from the start of Falla Brae descent, i reckon that would be fine. The first bit from the red squirrel might be a bit tight at the start with a trailer, its fine with the tagalong.

cynic-al
    Free Member

slowclimb – Member

2. When you passed us on a narrow corner you almost clipped the tagalong, if you had knocked my son off, I would have ripped your f*cking head off… no I really would

🙄 did you say anything to them at the time? Possibly more effective than posting on here.

Smee
    Free Member

Ive tried it. It's just a wee bit narrow.

slowclimb
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    slowclimb – Member
    2. When you passed us on a narrow corner you almost clipped the tagalong, if you had knocked my son off, I would have ripped your f*cking head off… no I really would

did you say anything to them at the time? Possibly more effective than posting on here.

I was just about to but had the presence of mind to realise that all the words in my head were ones I didnt want my son repeating when we got home 🙂

GW
    Free Member

shite excuse!
    you really should have said something at the time.. it's not difficult to let someone know that they're out of order without resorting to fighting talk and 99% of riders will agree and appologise when you point out their errors.. But they now will continue to ride past families the same way unaware that there's even a problem with it, oh well. 🙄
    next time MTFU

cynic-al
    Free Member

What GW said, you need to sort out your temper/assertiveness.

slowclimb
    Free Member

GW – Member
    shite excuse!
    you really should have said something at the time.. it's not difficult to let someone know that they're out of order without resorting to fighting talk and 99% of riders will agree and appologise when you point out their errors.. But they now will continue to ride past families the same way unaware that there's even a problem with it, oh well.
    next time MTFU

You are both right but MTFU'ing has got me into all sorts of bother over the years and i find it best sometimes to just let it go.
    One thing that was quite impressive was the speed they were going up the way on their freeride bikes though 😕
    My main point really was the same one made on here over and over again that as the sport grows by law of averages we will encounter more pratts, but on Saturday this was far, far outweighed by cool people laughing at my son whooping like a loon on every descent 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

Maybe, just maybe, your assessment of the riskiness of the passing maneuver may be greater than the real risk involved.
    Over protective parent syndrome?
    Rude maybe, but dangerous? are you sure.
    I'm certain that you "ripping their f****ng heads off" would have been a poor example to set your offspring

slowclimb
    Free Member

GW – Member
    shite excuse!
    you really should have said something at the time.. it's not difficult to let someone know that they're out of order without resorting to fighting talk and 99% of riders will agree and appologise when you point out their errors.. But they now will continue to ride past families the same way unaware that there's even a problem with it, oh well.
    next time MTFU

To be honest I reckon all your points are right 🙂
    A quick shout of "passing on your left" would be a good idea, I race a fair bit, road and mtb, and people manage it then so sure people just on their way up to the freeride park could manage it.

GW
    Free Member

this was on a climb? 😮

a little shout from them would have been nice, but how fast could they have possibly been going? 15mph? Also, you do realise that when you ride with your son it's also your responsibility to be aware of traffic coming from behind?

trailertrash

Was riding GT on Saturday with my girlfriend. I saw you at the bottom of the red, where it finally comes out onto the road about 100 yards up from the cafe. I was waiting on the opposite side of the road.

Must admit I thought "fair play!" to both of you for giving it a bash with the tagalong 😀

GT was the busiest I have seen it. The top car park was rammed, full BBQ action in progress, bikes everywhere, quite a festival atmosphere. I must admit I thought it was really great to see.

The trails were pretty busy but if you don't want that you have to go weekdays and winter now really, or ride elsewhere. It's a deservedly popular place. I expect the black was deserted as usual!

The biggest gripe I have with people's attitude at GT is folk driving too fast in convoy up, and especially down I have noticed, the road to the Buzzard's Nest. Frankly it's always young guys with big bikes on the back of the cars and they should sort it out. Too many kids and inexperienced riders around for that sort of thing. Someone will get hit one day. It's a gravel road and those stones fly everywhere too. The speed limit is there for good reason.

T

slowclimb
    Free Member

Whoa whoa whoa guys whats with all the abuse, I wasnt in the wrong, im not the rude c*nt here.
    Main point is –
    1. Glentress is great and actually getting better.
    2. There are some rude c*nts in the world 🙂

Interesting to hear its my responsibility as to whats going on behind me too…

slowclimb
    Free Member

Cheers trailertrash, I think your girlfriend spoke to my son, great day wasnt it? 🙂

The biggest gripe I have with people's attitude at GT is folk driving too fast in convoy up, and especially down I have noticed, the road to the Buzzard's Nest. Frankly it's always young guys with big bikes on the back of the cars and they should sort it out. Too many kids and inexperienced riders around for that sort of thing. Someone will get hit one day. It's a gravel road and those stones fly everywhere too. The speed limit is there for good reason.

Yep you are certainly right on that one, somebody is going to get hit, its like a rally up there sometimes. We came out of Sare Fecht (not recommended with a tagalong, my knees almost came off) and somebody in a Corsa!!! handbraked round the corner 🙁

GW
    Free Member

of course it's your responsibility to be aware what's around you (and your kids) when on your bikes.. Can you drive? did you read the highway code? if so, why would you think those rules no longer make sense when you're on a busy MTB trail? !!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069837

point 67

Smee
    Free Member

They should close the road up to the buzzards nest before someone gets killed by some **** with no driving ability thinking they're sebastian loeb.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Also, you do realise that when you ride with your son it's also your responsibility to be aware of traffic coming from behind?

Really? I don't see that on the link.

Kramer
    Free Member

I think that it's the person behind who has to be aware of the person in front, not the other way round. For a start it's not practical to be looking behind you all the time.

On the plus side, the more people use Glentress, the more money that will be made from it, so the more facilities that will pop up there and elsewhere. It's nice to be able to do a mountain sport where we have some world-class facilities on our doorstep.

trailertrash

Bit OT sorry : Have written to FC about speeding on the road to Buzzard's Nest. Will report back.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Did the blue earlier this year with my son on a tagalong. Great fun and only a couple of climbs we couldnt manage. I say we but he had a habit of turning the cranks just enough to stop the freehub ticking but not to actually add to the momentum.

Anyhow, thebest thing was that the blue is rather a all uphill then all downhill route. Once we had a rest at the top it was all down from there. We had a discussion about standing up and leaning when i did ans off we went. We actually got air on some of the jumps we were going so fast. Not sure i would do it so fast again but its great to hear your son squeeling as you lean over on a fast berm together 🙂

slowclimb
    Free Member

GW – Member
    of course it's your responsibility to be aware what's around you (and your kids) when on your bikes.. Can you drive? did you read the highway code? if so, why would you think those rules no longer make sense when you're on a busy MTB trail? !!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069837

point 67
    Chill out for f*ck sake man, you cant be responsible for people either driving or riding like ar%eholes, of course you make yourself as aware as you can but thats all you can do…

Nice one trailertrash, let us know how you get on.

GW
    Free Member

al –

* be aware of traffic coming up behind you

or did you mean it doesn't mention parent's reponsibility for their children? he's 4, of course it's the parent/carer/guardian's responsiblity to look out for their children.. it's simply common sense but I'm pretty sure there'll be legislation to that effect in place elsewhere if you really *need* to see it in print go and google it.

riding around with no awareness of other trail users around you is dangerous too. (especially in busy shared trail centres)

Ti29er
    Free Member

Do you not mean a tipi?
    A wigwam is a rounded dome shape.
    A tipi is conical shaped.

I took a 6yr old on the Red Route at Cannock, and apart from two points on the trail (1: a steep decent 2: tight tree lined trail) she loved it. Lean forward to keep that pesky from-end down!

Personally , I loathe the C word, be it implied or actually used.

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW – nothing specific to trailers though?

Sorry unless you have information that the OP wasn't being aware of ttraffic behind him then I don't see how your point is relevant.

GW
    Free Member

perfectly chilled mate 8)

I'm still slightly puzzled as to what you expected to achieve by starting this thread though?

Sanny
    Free Member

Slowclimb

That's a lot of aggression there. Have you found as you typed that you got more angrier instead of less? Do you get angry at car drivers when you are in your car and allow your blood pressure to rise?

Why didn't you have a word with the guys on the climb? Perhaps they thought it was perfectly reasonable to overtake someone pulling a tag along up a narrow trail? Did they have to go at a slower pace until they thought it was safe to pass you? Perhaps they thought it was safe to pass when they did? That doesn't necessarily make them C*nts as you so politely put it. If you are going to ride with a kid on your tagalong, do you accept that there is responsibility on your part to be aware of people behind you who will be going faster than you and want to overtake?

Smee
    Free Member

What's with all the stick flying in SlowClimbs direction? They had their kid out for a ride on an easy trail at a family trail centre, some cock ends made him feel uncomfortable about the safety of his child… He is entitled to be pissed off.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Ti29er – Member
    Do you not mean a tipi?
    A wigwam is a rounded dome shape.
    A tipi is conical shaped.

I took a 6yr old on the Red Route at Cannock, and apart from two points on the trail (1: a steep decent 2: tight tree lined trail) she loved it. Lean forward to keep that pesky from-end down!

Personally , I loathe the C word, be it implied or actually used.

They are pretty much triangular sheds really, a few places have them. We have stayed in some at North Berwick, basic but cool. clicky clicky I dont knwo why they are called wigwams either…
    Yep the c word, the only one left with the power to shock 😉

GW – my original point was just to get that off my chest really no major deal. Impressed we've got to 30 posts though 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting that the OP is being ganged up on.

All he's said is that he was overtaken too closely and it's all now his fault 🙄

Monday mornings eh? Or do you ladies work together and are menstruating?

slowclimb
    Free Member

Goan – Member
    What's with all the stick flying in SlowClimbs direction? They had their kid out for a ride on an easy trail at a family trail centre, some cock ends made him feel uncomfortable about the safety of his child… He is entitled to be pissed off.

Exactly Goan, cheers for that 🙂

That's a lot of aggression there. Have you found as you typed that you got more angrier instead of less? Do you get angry at car drivers when you are in your car and allow your blood pressure to rise?

Na I am as chilled out a guy as you could ever meet, I never ever get road rage or anything like that, until somebody does something that could impact on my kids, then its like that great 70's series The Incredible Hulk, well without the green thing, or the ripping clothes, or the massive muscles and stuff 🙂

slowclimb
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Interesting that the OP is being ganged up on.

All he's said is that he was overtaken too closely and it's all now his fault

Monday mornings eh? Or do you ladies work together and are menstruating?
    Cheers al, love it 🙂
    How about me you and Goan gang up and we'll get these moaning f*ckers out the front of the school at half 3? 😉

falkirk-mark

WTF has the highway code got to do with riding at Glentress

cynic-al
    Free Member

I would but I am softer in real life than on here and I'd be scared of the armchair cage-fighters 😛

I am as fast as Glupton on a bike though and could easily outride them, I do slow down when overtaking family tho.

AlasdairMc

Goan – Member

I sort of agree with you there, but sometimes feel it goes both ways.

I was descending Good Game a while back and had to brake suddenly as there was a kid pushing their bike down the middle of the trail. The parent was about 50 yards further down the trail, but they should definitely have been behind the child. The parent proceeded to lose it with me, failing to see that their protectionist rage did not excuse the fact that they weren't looking out for their own kid in the first place.

There are always two sides.

Fair play to you both though for taking your kids out to GT and getting them into it at an early stage, it's always heartening to see that when we're bombarded with tales of obesity and sedentary lifestyles.

GW
    Free Member

falkirk mark – like most manuals the simplest parts of it are of most use to people with little to no common sense, I wouldn't expect everyone to understand. 😛

al – doesn't really matter if "slow climb" was aware of riders behind in this instance as he clearly doesn't usually find it important –

Interesting to hear its my responsibility as to whats going on behind me too…

Slowclimb – it would be interesting if the riders involved did happen to see this to be allowed to share their view of it (and appologise if necessary) can't see it happening though.
    Ps. I was expelled from School, so you'd have to come and find me outside the arcade, if yer hard enough of course 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Glentress = Good / Glentress = Bad’ is closed to new replies.