Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Glentress forestry work.
  • sharki
    Free Member

I’m not sure i this has been mentioned yet..

Had a spin round GT red this afternoon, i’d heard there was FC work happening at the top of spooky wood, so rode up for to see to what extent..

The area leading up the the bench is now fenced off in two places, with a diversion sign dropping you down that wee trail onto a forest track. From there go left down the track and after about 100 metres peal off left into some lovely singletrack, this will pop you out on one of the berms on the main SW descent, so you’ll still get 2 3rds of the descent in.
    We contemplated starting from the top as the FC had gone home, however it appears they’re reshaping the trail so the existing trails are un ridable from the top.

Work is said to continue till the end of October.

Cracking ride this evening up there and the morning spin round inners weren’t bad either.
    Happy trails.

Northwind

“peal off left into some lovely singletrack, this will pop you out on one of the berms on the main SW descent, so you’ll still get 2 3rds of the descent in.”

That’s be Shallow Grave. Nice innit!

hels
    Free Member

Noooooo ! Now the mincers will find Shallow Grave… and it will become a hell ride of braking bumps. Sulking now.

sharki
    Free Member

short, sweet and perfectly formed.

hels
    Free Member

Have we met sharki ?

sharki
    Free Member

hels – Member
    Have we met sharki ?

Unfortunately i’ve not had the pleasure , despite hearing alot about you 😉

I was about to say where on earth in there, do you need to use brakes? I then realised how little thought i put into that moment of thinking.
    Silly me, it’s a root infested death trap.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

He is talkin bout me Hels

🙂

the_lecht_rocks

bang goes more immaculate off=piste 🙁

hels
    Free Member

Well as Oscar Wilde said, the thing only worse than being talked about, is not being talked about.

I may go for a mince around Glentress tomorrow if I can find a bike in the bike room that works, will check it out.

sharki
    Free Member

Fear not, it’s all good stuff, especially the bits about your fiestiness. 😛

So that’s a date then time, place, attire? 😉 bring a bike, any old bike, anything goes when riding with me.

Shall i wear a red rose?

Northwind

Put it this way, if people are being detoured down Shallow Grave, which is well surfaced and drained and almost as able to deal with traffic as the main trails, well, that means they’re not climbing to the top then detouring down by another more delicate off piste method. Right? Shallow Grave can take it and still nobody’ll ride it afterwards because it doesn’t go anywhere and they’d sooner go and do jumps.

sharki
    Free Member

Fenced off on the second switch back before the final little rock step, at the final switchback and at the entrance to the descent, access therefore to piss alley is also close. The diversion drops down that slightly roy chute, which is now a metre wide.

The group i was with didn’t want to go the cheeky one from piss alley, so cannot comment on whether it is still fine. From what it looked like, they are working on the first section in the clearing and not in the forest.

At the bottom of spooky climb, where you leave the firest road, there is a sign there saying the top 3rd of spooky is closed, this may deter many.

What’s the final piece of red/black called? There appears to be some work going on in there too.

dazzlingboy

Yeah spotted all this work last night – haven’t been down shallow grave in donkeys so it made a nice alternative.

Northwind

“What’s the final piece of red/black called? There appears to be some work going on in there too.”

Do you mean on falla brae, where the log thing used to be? Trailfairies are rebuilding that just now with a new and rather cool entrance and a changed line into the drop, bit of stone pitching and some roots and suchlike. Should be good…

sharki
    Free Member

I’ve only been riding up there for the last few weeks, so unsure of names.
    It’s the last piece of red before Squirrels car park.

Northwind

Aye, the red there’s falla brae, don’t know if the black bit had a name- 2 sort of big rolly step woody things then another thing that looked like an abandoned pier?

MarkN
    Free Member

It is nice to see that Spooky is getting a bit of TLC. The new black section seems to be coming along well. I just hope it is at least as much fun as the old bit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Glentress forestry work.’ is closed to new replies.