• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Glentress black route – local knowledge needed…..
  • lucien

Is it graded black because it’s more difficult than the red (ie no chicken lines) or graded black as it’s longer / more remote?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The latter these days. It used to have a reasonably tricky northshore section called Ewoks Village, but that’s long gone. There’s nothing that I can remember on the black (that’s mandatory) that a competent red route rider wouldn’t manage.

iwluap

I would say it is because it is longer, more remote, rather than becuase tehre is anything technically difficult. And becuase it is long and remote, you will probably be guaranteed to have the trails to yourself. It’s a great ride. Go and enjoy!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Combination of longer / more remote and rougher / less manicured. As above, it’s not technically hard but some of it is relatively rough and not every corner is bermed. There’s no compulsory big jumps or anything of that nature though.

lucien

Ok, that’s Sunday sorted! Thought the red was fun earlier in the week, so much so I went back and did it again! 1st time there, and really impressed with set up etc

richmtb

Yeah its definitely rougher but not a great deal more technical

Hardest bits these days are all towards the end when you are back towards the Red Route and can be avoided if necessary. Double X, The Bitch and Wormhole all have short sections that are a bit harder than the Red

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hardest bits these days are all towards the end when you are back towards the Red Route and can be avoided if necessary. Double X, The Bitch and Wormhole all have short sections that are a bit harder than the Red

+1, although relative to the red I’d say “quite a bit harder”, lots more steps, rocks and rough bits compared to the really fast bermed stuff on the red and blue decents that almost parralel them.

The bulk of it is more like a less manicured red, more like a red that’s been used enough to have roots showing through, the odd natural drop off, flat corners etc and generaly made up of actual singletrack rather than being 2ft wide.

I’d actualy rather do the black then climb back upto the red or blue after spooky wood/before betty blue once you’ve done Redemption.

Northwind

There are a couple of bits that you probably wouldn’t grade red- a bit on the goat track (but there’s a line of desire round it that means that lots of folks don’t even realise the harder line exists) and 2 wee stretches on the boundary trail. But even they could be top-of-grade on a red. I’d say it’s much easier to get yourself in trouble though- the trail’s not hard but if you overcook a corner or misread a line it’s not as forgiving as the red, and the sightlines aren’t as open.

XX has had its teeth pulled now as the woodwork steps are collapsing- you can still ride them but the new ewok bypass leads you straight past the steps instead of down them. Bitch and Wormhole still deserve their black grade and can come as a big shock after all the easier stuff but the difficulty does build up a bit better now.

vintagewino
    Free Member

the black is wicked and I am crap so it’s not that hard. rough but not technical as others have said. redemption climb is looooong though.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Aye, it’s not very technically difficult, just more tiring.
    My pal and I do it and we’ve only had bikes for two years and one year respectively and only head out a couple of times a month

coogan
    Free Member

I always saw it being graded black because when it was built many, many a year ago, it was a tougher trickier route. But compared to todays blacks it’s not really that tough to ride. If any of that makes sense.

br
    Free Member

We did the Boundary through to Redemption early this week at night; it’s running well 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Glentress black route – local knowledge needed…..’ is closed to new replies.