Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Glentress. Best combination of routes.
  • GW
    Free Member

You don’t have to pedal down spooky woods, I’ve always treated it as a big pump track, a couple of pedal strokes out the odd corner is all you need to ride the whole thing fast if you lay off the brakes everywhere.

is your bike “over-tyred” for trail centres by any chance? 😆

mr_stru

I’ve no idea what they are called but the bit of the blue that comes out near the top of the freeride park and the bit that starts at the top car park are good fun. Nice smooth swoopy singletrack which you can take at a fair old clip. Worth the extra few miles to tag on to the end of whatever else you do.

GW
    Free Member

.. and some people think Spookywooods is pedally 😕

J0N
    Free Member

Isn’t GT brilliant. Something for everyone.
    Not over-tyred at all, maybe not tyred enough.

AlasdairMc

if you lay off the brakes everywhere

I also seem to recall someone saying the blue could be done without brakes as it’s so swoopy – was it yourself GW?

GW
    Free Member

I’ve only ever done the entire blue route with my daughter on the tag-along, so no 😳 there’s a fair bit of the bits I’ve done on my own that can be ridden without touching the brakes, but not all of it.
    spooky woods can be done without a single pedal stroke tho (still making almost every jump bar a couple really near the end). 😉

iamtheresurrection

A bit late to join this (I guess you’ve been now).

Nevertheless, the black from the hub to the mast is one of my favourite bits of riding anywhere. Give or take it’s about 1h10 to climb if your not stopping to take in the views and really shouldn’t me missed. It just feels like a bit of proper biking, rather than a trail centre ride and it’s the perfect ying to Spooky’s yang.

At a bit under two hours I’d do black to mast, Spooky and then don’t do Pie Run (nice enough section, but a bit of a short way to end the ride).

The full black is also a really nice ride and feels much more natural than some of the more groomed sections on the other grades (which I like too for different reasons).

Mugboo

Thanks iamtheresurrection. How would you describe the riding you like? For example which of the stanes do you like and in particular which sections stand out?

iamtheresurrection

I suppose I like the ups about as much as the downs… I prefer it rocky to rooty, but wouldn’t be happy going down the DH at Inners or Hamsterley – that’s definitely out of my comfort zone (and not what I enjoy)! Mostly I ride not in trail centres.

As daft as this sounds, I just like a ride to feel like a proper mountain bike ride (hence LOVING the black to the mast), rather than purely downhill or perfectly groomed trails. I haven’t done enough of the other 7 Stanes to compare really. It’s a lot better than the red/black at Dalby, Hamsterley or Keilder (although they’re enjoyable too, and much closer to home).

I tend to arrive with only an hour or two of daylight left, and always alone (sneaking a quick one in on my way home) – which means I tend to stick with what I know. Although I think I’ll do Inners this week if I get time.

Mugboo

We did the black at Hamsterly yesterday as my mate lives in Spennymoor. Quite enjoyed the rooty bugger. It looks like one of those places that will have lots of hidden stuff if you take your time to look.. Hitting it after a dry week was obviously a bonus.

I liked the wooden drop off but the downhills looked a bit too serious to me, too many Power rangers on massive bikes..

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Glentress. Best combination of routes.’ is closed to new replies.