Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Glentress around Xmas time – ridable – logging?
  • tomhughes46

Am planning on visiting family in Glasgow over Christmas (from SW England). Trying to decide whether to fly or drive up. Probably about the same cost wise but could go up a day earlier and ride Glentress if I drive and take the bike.

Realistically, what are the chances of being able to ride Glentress over Xmas? Not worried about a little rain, but how much is shut for logging? And how does it hold up in scottish winter?

Ae is also an option but always wanted to try GT!

julzm
    Free Member

Not sure how much will still be closed by then but there is plenty to ride currently and being a trail centre it’s pretty much rideable regardless of weather. The only one of the 7stanes that doesn’t seem to hold up well is Mabie IMO.

I’ve ridden GT on both Boxing Day and NYD, nothing is open but trails are all rideable even some of the natural stuff, which has been rather sketchy of late.

jamiep
    Free Member

It doesn’t really close for logging. Any temp closures will be on the 7 states website

rOcKeTdOg

Deep snow may be the only stumbling block but rain & ice aren’t a problem. Ridden GT & Inners on NYs day before

Northwind

They tend not to do that many closures at GT over holiday periods. No matter what, there’ll be enough to make a decent ride- GT’s almost never completely shut down and innerleithen’s just down the road. And if you’re up for harder stuff/slithery death there’s tons more in and around the centres.

The trailcentre routes are basically weatherproof, fallen trees aside. Snow and ice is maybe a consideration though- it’s a good fun snow ride but there’s the Glentress Glacier, as soon as it snows everyone goes and rides the red and compacts the snow down hard, so that when it thaws everywhere else the red is still under ice 😆

bigjim

Yes some parts are currently closed for logging until end of December, some of the better bits too.

http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/glentress—innerleithen

Still fun times to be had though!

scotroutes

GT is where I did lots of winter riding when I lived in Edinburgh. In fact, I rarely went there any other time. Arrive early and do Inners too?

tomhughes46

Thanks all

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Glentress around Xmas time – ridable – logging?’ is closed to new replies.