Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Glentress and Inners – Any extra sections worth adding in??
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Last minute trip has been organised for this weekend to GT.

I normally ride it after a visit to Glasgow, so as I’m pushed for time it’s normally the Red at GT with a few bits of the blue thrown in.

However, as we have loads of time and from checking out the trail map on Trailforks I’m thinking we should add a few extra bits on.

Those I’m thinking to add are;

Brown Trout
    Zoom or Bust

I’m just reaching out to see if there are any other sections we should look to add in either at GT or to connect with the Inners Red route.

Nothing too Double black technical but something flowy and fun would be good.

Any suggestion?

Cheers.

Northwind

Innerleithen I’d do hardly any of the red… Up to the top of the downhill, down the alistair lees, back up a bit to the top road, down green wing, back up again and… Classic maybe depending on if you’re up for the steeper bits, it’s bit more full on than other trails you mentioned, or over to mince baby mince… finish on deerhunter stalker hunter whichever it is, or caddon bank if you like it. Not the easiest to navigate but way better than the red and nothing too mad.

At GT it just depends how much you want to ride, check out also Mark of Zorro and the Fort Descent. The Fort is great but runs parallel to falla brae and it’s a shame to miss it.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thanks – much appreciate the input. I’m assuming Mark of Zorro is down the back further along from Carl’s Lane?

ChrisL

Brown Trout

No such trail. Though there is one called Broon Troot. 🙂

Mark of Zorro dives off the black at the start of the final climb up to the mast. Not to be confused with B Side which starts at the mast, as does Carl’s Lane.

chickenman

It is so ridiculously dry at the moment you should seize the opportunity to ride the offpiste stuff at Inners or the Golfie trails: They are only this dry once every 12 years when you have a conjunction of Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus!!! Everyone rides like a god when its like this! 😆

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I thought it was Broon troot, but looki g in trailforks it only had a brown trout

ChrisL

Trailforks seems not to be the most accurate source for trail names…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

LOL… Broon troot = Brown trout?

Garry_Lager

What’s a typical session up the Golfie like for ye local lads, wrt climbing up the thing? It’s the best part of 400m to top of trails, so thinking 3 times up and various descents would make for a good day – with a cafe break in between.
    Up next week, but need to drive down south on the same day so don’t want to feel absolutely shattered.

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Northwind’s suggestion for Innerleithen is pretty much perfection.

Northwind

Garry_Lager – Member

What’s a typical session up the Golfie like for ye local lads, wrt climbing up the thing?

Don’t know if you know it at all… There’s some trails that start/finish in other places but mostly what you do is slog up to the reservoir, and most of hte descents from there take you either onto the road you came up, or another road that leads you back up easily to that same road. So it tends to work as wee nested loops, especially for the first few visits where everyone does 3G, it’s the law.It actually works out fairly trailcentry for navigation, once you know it a bit. “Let’s do the top of 3G then ride up and do community service”, that sort of thing.

I’ll tend to go for 3 runs but they’re all different lengths or take different times so I fill the day with shorter sections. There’s a lot of really nice riding down low.

moonsaballoon

At Glentress i really like to do the black from the mast ,down hush hush then cut along the fire road to broon troot , then jump on the black to do the bitch and ponduro/supersteep , then up to do falla brae to finish .
    For a combination of golfie and glentress you could do worse than follow the route from last years king of the hill , the leithan water climb is a slog but the views are pretty nice

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Basically, wot Northwind said about Golfie^^^.
    Typical day is maybe 5 or 6 big climbs up to the old reservoir or fewer if you’re going further afield for No Social or Feed The Pony as they involve long push-up climbs.
    Favorite Golfie trails for me so far are; No Social, Wolf of Wall St, Nae Spleens, Boner.
    Haven’t done Waterworld yet but will next time.

BoardinBob

Garry Lager

Up next week

Just a heads up but some bits will technically be closed for the Tweedlove Enduro at the weekend

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hmmm…

Spent some time checking Strava and Trailforks and I’m going to ask kindly if anyone has got a GPX or map of a good alternative of Inners? Nothing too tech but flowly and fun would be apprecaited.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Managed to put together a nice little loop of GT which I’m looking forward to, so thanks for the advice.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations – had an awesome first day.

ChrisL

moonsaballoon – Member
    At Glentress i really like to do the black from the mast ,down hush hush then cut along the fire road to broon troot , then jump on the black to do the bitch and ponduro/supersteep , then up to do falla brae to finish .

After making my point about Broon Troot above, I somehow managed to bite my tongue when this came up. Then Northwind decided it’d be funny if I resurrected this thread to make my point several days too late and so goaded me into it…

It’s called The Glorious Five Year Plan, not Hush Hush. It was named the Glorious Five Year Plan by the Trailfairies and the Glentress Rangers while we were building it. However we were under an embargo not to tell anyone about the trail we were building until the EWS and whoever first put it onto Strava didn’t know the actual name. Please give the builders some respect and use the name we gave it!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

We did Broon troot on Saturday – wow, super tech. Should be called Broon Troosers!!!

Northwind

Good one Chris, that’s definitely arsier than you would have done it last week too, job done 😆

ChrisL

Bushwacked – Member
    We did Broon troot on Saturday – wow, super tech. Should be called Broon Troosers!!!

It’s tricky but I like it. 🙂 Also bear in mind that it is at least 12 years old now and what the typical MTBs being ridden back there were!

Oddly, on Saturday I had my first ride where I found Broon Troot harder than the Glorious Five Year Plan. Before that the steepness of the Glorious Five Year Plan caused me a lot of trouble but on Saturday it didn’t bother me too much. On the other hand Broon Troot will always be tricky because it is almost continuously tight and awkward – it never gives you much space to collect yourself before having to get over another awkward root or make another tight turn.

My ride on Saturday was also my first down B Side, which was quite challenging too! If it stays reasonably dry for a while I may have another go at it but I’m not sure I’ll want to try it in the wet for quite some time.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Ride it again as soon as you can. Go on.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Glentress and Inners – Any extra sections worth adding in??’ is closed to new replies.