Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Glentress – £20 to park a van ?!?
  • rapiddescent

I am the OP.

I understand it was a ~8 seater with the back row taken out – so it was teacher plus 4 or 5 kids and their bikes.

Teacher went up to the machine but the machine doesn’t mention minibuses on it.

The problem is that the charges are not very clear. i.e. when does a van become a mini bus when you have panel vans, combi vans, camper vans, MPV vans with seats taken out etc etc. How do you compare with a Renault Espace, XC90, lwb Land Rover…

I doubt the parking attendant can check the DVLA instantly to see how the vehicle is registered so some form of guesswork is taking place.

I do agree, that paying the ticket is worth it since it continues investment in the trails (that keep folks off my trails!)

yacoby
    Free Member

The problem is that the charges are not very clear. i.e. when does a van become a mini bus when you have panel vans, combi vans, camper vans, MPV vans with seats taken out etc etc. How do you compare with a Renault Espace, XC90, lwb Land Rover…

A minibus is defined as a vehicle with between eight to sixteen passenger seats. There is no ambiguity.

Teacher went up to the machine but the machine doesn’t mention minibuses on it.

And last time I was with a minibus at GT, I am fairly sure the machine I looked at did mention minibuses.

scotroutes

Just to make it 100% clear. Removing seats doesn’t de-classify it either, as long as it was constructed or adapted to carry that number at some point.

And last time I was with a minibus at GT, I am fairly sure the machine I looked at did mention minibuses.
    [/quote]Me too – but that was a year or so ago – and before the new parking regime.

sangobegger
    Free Member

£20 is cheap. TWO summers ago it cost us £24 to cycle at Drumlanrig castle in the borders. 4 blokes in one car @ £6 each is taking the p**s. Why not a tenner for the carload? – wont be going back – ever!
    Torridon – free
    Skye – free!
    Circuit of Beinn Sgritheall – free

So thanks to the Dukedom of Buccleuch I wilnae be goin back.

scotroutes

TBF, the entry fee to Drumlanrig includes all of the grounds and the extensive kids playground. I therefore hope you got your moneys worth without breaking the swings!!!

bigjim

£20 is cheap. TWO summers ago it cost us £24 to cycle at Drumlanrig castle in the borders. 4 blokes in one car @ £6 each is taking the p**s. Why not a tenner for the carload? – wont be going back – ever!

lol, you were paying for entry to the castle grounds and use their facilities as well as support the trail building. If you’re really too tight to pay £6 (pint and half if that?) to ride your bike for a day you can park elsewhere. I’d happily pay double to ride drumlanrig, its such good riding.

rene59
    Free Member

As the place has just been mentioned, anyone know if Drumlanrig trails are open yet?

scotroutes

Aren’t the trails always open?

Northwind

£6 per person for Drumlanrig’s trails is still great value, cheaper than a cinema ticket and much better.

Last I heard Drum is badly tree’d, haven’t seen an update recently

rene59
    Free Member

They were shut during the winter for forestry work/wind damage. Not seen anything to say that they are open again. Hope it will be soon.

The cost of a season pass this year is only £15 per individual and can be bought online.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Certainly did get me moneys worth, the trails at Drumlanrig were fantastic and now and again I dont mind pay per ride. But if you guide a carload of bikers through the main gate and charge me to ride the swings as well you are taking the p**s.
    I didn’t go to look at Hostas, Escallonia and Tulips, so why charge me(us) for the privilege.
    Just a thought – how much to park in your local town centre – bet there would be uproar from traders if the council stuck us for a £24 charge daily

Northwind

sangobegger – Member

Just a thought – how much to park in your local town centre – bet there would be uproar from traders if the council stuck us for a £24 charge daily

Drum isn’t a town centre, it’s a rich bloke’s garden.

banginon

Drum has been hammered by wind and harvesting but the red is pretty much complete and I’m working on the rangers/forestry dept to get the black finish sorted.

The first black is mashed under all the harvesting and will need rebuilt as will the last bit of red by the river..

I know it seems pricey but as has been said above you can ride all day for a comparatively cheap price compared to drinking beer or a cinema showing and the estate makes a helluva lot less out of mountain bikers than the other industries mentioned.

It’ll cost a fair whack to rebuild the mashed trail which has to come out of the entrance revenue, simple as that and it doesn’t strim itself or clear the windblow on its own.

Cheers for the positive comments above it all helps when negotiating new trail expenditure.

To ride at Drumlanrig cheaper buy a season ticket for £15 or a family season ticket for £25 for the whole year (2adults 3 kids), and the park is getting a big revamp right now….

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Glentress – £20 to park a van ?!?’ is closed to new replies.