Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • glenlivet….
  • the_lecht_rocks

Too smooth for a fattie

Spin
    Free Member

I find this site can be really negative at times.

Indeed it can. I didn’t think anyone had been negative on this thread yet, just a couple of comments that it wasn’t brill. To be fair it’s probably got a bit of bedding in to do. At the end of the day people will vote with their feet. If it stands multiple visits (like Laggan or Golspie for example) then it will be a success.

Does anyone know if the cafe is run directly by the estate or if it is separate?

Spin
    Free Member

I’d ride glenlivet on my cx no issues

Cheers

Trekster

Fat bike been done, white on-one, a local i think

devs
    Free Member

Aye I saw the Fattie yesterday, on a car though. It’s perfect fat bike territory. I’ll be on mine next time and I can’t wait to nail it in snow 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

Sounds like a great excuse for me to n+1…..

kcal

that would be some well earned views at the very top if you arrived on a fat bike 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

Indeed, great views fae the top, lovely..!

Yetiman
    Free Member

Aye, fantastic views today looking across at snow covered hills. It was another busy day for them, cars were parked a fair way back down the hill from the cafe.

the_lecht_rocks

Like it ?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I fancy this during the Christmas break, any decent accommodation nearby?

Yetiman
    Free Member

Yeah, I enjoyed it (i was out on the bike so thats always a good start). Two loops of the red back to back topped off with a panini, cake and a couple of coffees. The trail is well built, but just a bit too tame for me compared to what I normally ride, but I wasn’t expecting a full on tech fest anyway, not on a red trail. I might just be behind the times with regards to trail grading but I didn’t think the features were particularly ‘black’.
    If the current set up proves successful I hope they manage to build a proper black run. That would definitely tempt me back.

the_lecht_rocks

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Too tame but scope for a technical trail hopefully !

Spin
    Free Member

Just back and would echo the comments above. If you turn up on your big rig expecting some gnarl you’re going to be disapointed. If you want a nice pootle on fast flowy trails with good views then you’ll like it. Probably pretty good for kids, there certainly seemed to be a lot of familes out.

Not a criticism as such but with identified ‘black’ sections folks might think it’s more techy than it really is. The black sections are actually red and if you take the bypasses it’s basically a blue for technicallity but red (I suppose) for the climbing.

I’m hoping it’s a bit of a work in progress and other features will be added over time.

The crosser was perfect. It really made the trails come alive. 😉

Yetiman
    Free Member

Were you on a red Cannondale Spin?

Spin
    Free Member

Aye, that was me. Were we chatting to you?

euain

I saw you too… probably a pretty good bike for the course :). Was on a Black/blue Pivot and made some lame comment about it being the original 29er.

Overall, I enjoyed it. As said above – no real gnarr (have to wait for the Kinlochleven Enduro for that!).. but great views and some really fun flowing tracks (and a morning away from the wife and kids ;).

Good coffee and one of the best burgers I’ve had in years topped off a great morning out. It’s only an hour from home so might go and do a night lap there sometime.

the_lecht_rocks

It’d be good at night, perhaps organise a stw meet up ?

devs
    Free Member

I think a night ride will have to be a case of watching the weather and nipping up if it looks good. You’re not likely to get a big window to organise meet ups. I’ll be trying for one in the next couple of weeks though, most likely a thursday night.

Spin
    Free Member

Nah that’s an all weather nighttime loop unless its actually snowing.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Is it far past Laggan?

We travel from the Angus area & wondered how long it would take?

Alan.

scotroutes

From Angus, I’d have thought there would have been a shorter/faster option than the A9?

legend
    Free Member

no real gnarr (have to wait for the Kinlochleven Enduro for that!)

“gnarr” is available at other times and locations you know

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I’d have thought there would have been a shorter/faster option than the A9?

Possibly, im not exactly sure where it is tbh, 50 miles NW of Laggan?

Spin
    Free Member

It’d be good at night, perhaps organise a stw meet up ?

It’s just a wee bit far for me for a night ride but will keep an eye out if anyone wants to suggest a night.

euain

“gnarr” is available at other times and locations you know

It wasn’t a complaint – just an observation that you’ll have to go elsewhere to get your fix of rocks, steps and the likes.

I’m liking the idea of a night ride but the next few weeks are looking unlikely for me. If someone is heading there, and I can make it, I’ll be on for it though.

TP
    Free Member

alandavidpetrie79 – Not too far North of the Lecht ski centre. Depends where you are in Angus but over the Cairn O’ Mount or Glenshee and head North. Less than two hours to get there for you I should think.

swavis

One from yesterday at the very top.

Overall I enjoyed the trails, they’ll be perfect for a night ride and they’re only 30mins away from me so will make a nice change from the stuff locally.

With a covering of snow I think they will indeed be perfect fat bike territory 😀

kcal

like it!

access road (from B9136) and fire road as well will be ah interesting with a covering of snow.

I can foresee problems in the next few months :/

trail_rat
    Free Member

“From Angus, I’d have thought there would have been a shorter/faster option than the A9? “

50 miles difference going via perth and up the a9 from dundee than going over glenshee/BH 1+2 and the lecht.

horrible roads to drive though.

devs
    Free Member

Aye it’s a full on driving experience going “the back way”. It can on occasion be quicker but you feel knackered when you get there. Just spoken to one of my customers and found out that hers is the nearest house to teh new centre. She doesn’t even bike, what a waste 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

Blimey, first time I’ve been since it officially opened and it was busy today !
    Thing I noticed was there was a high number of first timers and I reckon they’d get caught out on the red run , not technically but in distance and effort…..

Thought the cafe was excellent, cake brilliant….. Trails are holding out nicely, but no idea if they’re likely to ice up if they get wet as if was -2c when I got there this morning at 08.30….

A good all weather facility and a good xc cycle with a lovely cafe…. Recommended for a day out !

Deveron53
    Free Member

I was there today, twas OK but my fellow rider was very slow, wimped out on the slightest suggestion of anything with a ‘!’ on it (walked it all!) so although we started out at 1pm, we barely made it back to the trailhead for 3pm and that was after missing out the blue return by just doing the fire-roads.
    I’m not returning until April at the earliest! (partly due to the 3 hour round trip – I’ve got loads on my doorstep in Alford)

the_lecht_rocks

I get there in 1 hour 7 mins from westhill Deveron …..!!!???

Deveron53
    Free Member

Well, it SEEMS like a 90 minute journey (especially the return journey in the dark). Do you go via Strathdon? That’s the quickest way for me, although it’s as twisty as f***!

the_lecht_rocks

Yep over the lecht, flat oot and lots of sideways 😈

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘glenlivet….’ is closed to new replies.