Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Glenfinnan to Cape Wrath part 1 – The Rough Bounds
  • 13thfloormonk

Yeah, sorry about picture 1, I just found it funny compared to the picture I had planned to take 😀

All printing out and blowing up pictures are still to come (moonrise over Suilven, weather systems moving in over Arkle, spate waterfalls in glendhu etc etc 😉 )

paul4stones

Very good indeed. Which tyres?

13thfloormonk

Haha! 😀

But seriously 😉 Rubber Queen 2.2" UST on the back, Bontrager FR4 up front, both ghetto.

For some reason the Rubber Queen didn't seem to be doing the business like it usually does, there were a lot of wet rocks around though and I think I had it harder than normal. The FR4 is a revelation, can't see it lasting very long though, very very soft compound!

sangobegger
    Free Member

Had to check memory map to make sure that you ACTUALLY humphed a bike over Bealach Aoidhdailean.I made a fairly miserable ascent on a bare bones bike, never mind a loaded up one.Have to say though, that the descent on the other side was rather entertaining,with several impromptu falls into the carefully laid out bogs.Personally I would have dropped down Coire Chorsalain as it looked like a cracking wee descent,and the view over to Knoydart and the face of Beinn Sgritheall far outweighs a battering down a glen that is utterly buggered up by a set of pylons running down it.Well done though,that is definitely an epic run from Kinloch Hourn,and worth the effort in no uncertain terms.

13thfloormonk

Sangobegger, did you descend the Bealach TOWARDS Kinlochhourne? That would have been a LOT of fun I imagine. I couldn't get any momentum at all descending towards Suardalan.

Although I had resolved to stop researching trails on Geograph.org I just checked out Coire Chorsalain because it looks like a brilliant wee route. The general consensus was that the path was very poor, which in real terms means there probably isn't one, or its littered with mantraps. I'd have been heartbroken if it had been a long sweeping descent that I'd just trudged past! 🙂

heihei

DavidM, was it you discussing the old pony track that heads from Glen Barrisdale to Loch Quoich? I had meant to scout it out for you but decided not to stop in Kinlochhourne after all.

I walked this many years ago with my old man to make a loop from Kinloch Hourn via Barrisdale. The track from memory would be fine on a bike. but swings S at Loch Quoich. To link up with the road required a pathless yomp for a good few km – fine on foot but would be a chuff with a bike.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Bit late in the day,but nope – I followed the same route as yourself.I managed ok from the top of the Bealach to the flat,but after that it was a mare.Wait until you get up to the northern part of your tour though.There is a new road in round the back of Arkle which looks cracking,your only issue will be getting across the river at the western end of Loch Dionard if there is a lot of water in the river.Stay on its southern shore(not a fun way it has to be said)and you'll have no bother after that.)

13thfloormonk

I finished the tour a couple of weeks ago 😀

I stayed on the southern shore after Bealach Horn, but more of that later…

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Glenfinnan to Cape Wrath part 1 – The Rough Bounds’ is closed to new replies.