Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Glencoe Snowmaking Equipment – Guaranteed Snow Every Year! – Crowdfunding
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Great news, just saw the story below on the BBC website. Tried to find the crowdfunding page to make a donation but no luck…. anyone know where to find it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-41188086

rogermoore

Linky
    RM.

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks Roger. I always thought you were the best Bond.

Come on snow people get your twenty quids out!

km79
    Free Member

I don’t ski, but is this really big enough of an area that people would pay to access? I might be missing something but it looks tiny.

footflaps

Also, snow machines only work if it’s cold enough, so they can’t guarantee snow..

andykirk
    Free Member

Yes. Well I would anyway. Am quite sure they would not be charging too much if only that part of the mountain was ski-able. Might not be the biggest but would still make for a nice day out in the mountains.

It’s not your usual snow making machine, it will operate in temperatures upto 25 degrees.

km79
    Free Member

On second thoughts it might be ideal size for something similar to a pumptrack/bmx track or whatever the equivalent is in winter sports.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

It is probably more about ensuring a sustainable base on key sections of the lower runs. This will keep the mountain more complete for longer, prolonging the season.

Glencoe will struggle to install widespread snowmaking as they don’t have a suitable water supply for lots of cannons.

Quite often Glencoe closes for the season, not due to lack of skiable snow, but due to lack of skiers. The upper runs are great for more experienced skiers, but a longer season lower down will continue to attract less experienced skiers.

enmac
    Free Member

The Lecht and Glen Shee have snow making on their nursery slopes. They are never going to be able to make enough snow to interest the serious skiers but beginners don’t need a whole lot.

andykirk
    Free Member

Ah yes….. One of the joys of being a boarder… We don’t need steep or long runs to make it enjoyable, at any skill level 😉

scotroutes

Cairngorm Mountain also had a visit from the snow factory folk. There’s water on-site and the potential for a small hydro scheme to generate power.

GrahamS

Interesting. Thing is that there is already a small slope with year-round guaranteed snow, without the threat of wind and rain, at Braehead in Glasgow: https://www.snowfactor.com

Seems to me that’s where their competition will be.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Glencoe Snowmaking Equipment – Guaranteed Snow Every Year! – Crowdfunding’ is closed to new replies.