Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Glen Nevis campsite
  • BoardinBob

The wife’s hosting a hen-do this weekend so I’m kicked out the house and was planning on camping and riding around Fort William.

Maybe I’m being thick, but if I’m understanding the Glen Nevis website correctly, if I pre-book a pitch it’ll cost me £10 more than if I just turn up with no booking? I get the whole “pay extra to guarantee a place” mentality but a tenner seems a bit much and the place is huge so turning up on the day isn’t likely to be an issue.

Glen Nevis usually comes highly recommended but are any other campsites worth looking at if they happen to be fully booked?

rickmeister

Just down the road towards the gondola road on the left side there are yurts and camping too. Nice place, not as lush as the GN campsite but good. Capground behind the school on the Corpach road I have found just rude.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for you that the weather stays horrible enough to keep the midges at bay 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

there’s normally space at glen nevis, even when stupidly busy.

try the strip at the far left of the site (normally filled with bikers and no screaming kids since it’s a slight walk away from the car parking)

midges in the whole of Glen Nevis are bad, really bad. But, the facilities at the site are very good and prices are very reasonable, so it can be worth the trade off.

seahouse
    Free Member

Bob, never found it hard to get a pitch at Glen Nevis even on the World Cup weekend. I when up for a week at the beginning of “the summer” and paid for it daily in case the weather changed had no problems.

easygirl

I camped at glen Nevis for world cup
    Take some autan, we never got bothered with midges
    We paid the £10 fee, for,nothing
    Would just turn up next time
    Great site
    Lots of midges , but not one bite using autan spray

chickenman

The campsite north of Glencoe Village (on the Kinloch road) is a bit more exposed to sea breezes than others in the area…incase midges bother you

davy-g
    Free Member

Or this… http://www.farrcottage.com/tariff.asp 7 of us are booked into the hostel for 3 nights in August…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Has anyone stayed at The Red Squirrel campsite ? Any recommendations.

chickenman

Red Squirrel is likely to be full of drunken Weegies; there’s only so many wild camping spaces in Glen Etive after all…

duckman

Red Squirrel is ace,in a minging kind of way; pity it will be under 3 ft of water just now.

carlosg
    Free Member

We stop at Lochy caravan + camping on our yearly pilgrimage to the Nevis range. friendly owners hot showers. no complaints from me.

Kunstler

If you ask, you might directed to a quiet pitch at Red Squirrel. I’ve always had a good stay there. It’s not exactly near to Glen Nevis for the OP though.

tomd
    Free Member

If you wanted to farm midges the Red Squirrel would be a good place to buy. It just ticks all boxes for midge hell, but there’s decent pub within walking distance and the location is stunning which sort of makes up for it.

theblackmount
    Free Member

But the red squirrel allows fires. Fires count for a lot – and they keep the bastard midges at bay;-)

duckman

Is the wee old guy still running the red squirrel? I haven’t been much in the last 3 years and he wasn’t standing outside my tent with his hand outstretched for the couple of visits I have made.

BoardinBob

The forecast looks grim for Saturday

http://xcweather.co.uk/forecast/fort_william

An inch of rain forecast so I can’t see the DH being much fun to ride.

Is that much rain too much to camp in? No real frame of reference!

peterfile
    Free Member

Is the wee old guy still running the red squirrel? I haven’t been much in the last 3 years and he wasn’t standing outside my tent with his hand outstretched for the couple of visits I have made.

He is indeed. We stay there at least once a month, mainly because of its proximity to the Clachaig.

He’s just installed new mens toilets and showers, at great expense (as he tells me every time I’m there), and to be honest they are actually rather good.

With the new showers, the fact that you can have a campfire and walk to the Clachaig in 10 minutes, it’s still a winner in my opinion.

As for the comment re drunken Weegies, it can be a bit busy generally with groups of guys in summer, but not normally from Glasgow.

In fact, I’d say it’s the friendliest campsite I’ve ever been to. On many weekends last winter we’d come off the mountains after a long day and as we fumbled about trying to get dry kit on and light a fire, people would come over and offer a space round their fire and a couple of beers. Winter camping can be like that though, I hate campsites in summer, tend to stick to wild camping.

Invercoe (near Glencoe village) is a great wee site too, and the hotel across the road serves decent beer and food (it’s a LONG walk back from the Clachaig!), but it tends to be full of caravans and tourers. That said, the views are amazing so long as you’re not looking into the back of a 30ft mobile home.

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Get yourself signed up for the pufferlite this weekend – you have the perfect excuse. Don’t need to worry about camping fees

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Glen Nevis campsite’ is closed to new replies.