Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glen Lyon hydro road
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

Does anyone have any info regarding passability/suitability of the hydro road linking Glen Lochay and Glen Lyon on a road bike as of 2016?

Google is throwing up pretty sparse information from 2013/14 ranging from a potentially locked gate and potholes galore to no problems.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Try geograph.org

STATO
    Free Member

I rode (the admittedly very short) section from the loch Lyon hydro junction down the hill to the river lyon bridge last month. At the hydro junction it was a nice road, which then disintegrated into an almost destroyed mess on the steeper part. Not sure how indicative that is of the whole road but if its like that elsewhere it will certainly need to be ridden with caution.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

did it last year,was fine, but caution required where the surface has broken up. Sanny was the only one with wider tyres, nothing changes there … 🙂

fasthaggis

It’s a great run from Killin then fly down the Glen from the Lyon Dam.
    We used to go that way back to Aberfeldy from Killin weekenders

13thfloormonk

What they ^ said basically, last I rode it it was badly broken up at the Glen Lochay end (enough that I was getting some grumpy looks from those in white leather shoes with plastic road cleats on them 😀 ) but it rapidly improves.

There’s some scary potholes on the descent which are easily avoided but it you hit them full speed could cause you some grief.

Certainly worth doing, the descent through Glen Lyon after is a classic.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Try geograph.org

Nice site, wasn’t aware of that one.
    No recent images sadly.

did it last year,was fine, but caution required where the surface has broken up. Sanny was the only one with wider tyres, nothing changes there

Awesome, cheers

It’s a great run from Killin then fly down the Glen from the Lyon Dam.
    We used to go that way back to Aberfeldy from Killin weekenders

That was the plan – happy enough if my own plans go a bit wrong, but didn’t want to take a small group there if it really wasn’t suitable.

duckman

I cycled up to the higher road to catch the Munros in August then drove over it (with permission) It is pretty badly chewed up in places but other than the starting climbs you will be fine.

kraftyslices

Did this earlier in the year. The northern section up from Loch Lyon was absolutely fine. The southern side (down to Kenknock) was severely damaged and I can’t see many vehicles being able to get up/down unless it’s been recently repaired. On a bike it’s fine, but take it carefully and I wouldn’t suggest doing it in the dark, you could have lost your bike in some of the potholes!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glen Lyon hydro road’ is closed to new replies.